VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I have a 3D 1080p Half-SBS.mkv movie file. However, I cannot get this to play on my PS3? I've tried using mkv2vob to extract the file to MPEG and copy it to the PS3 over my network. This is what I normally do with HD movie files that are .mkv. The file was deemed unreadable by the PS3 though. Also tried converting to MP4 HD and AVI HD but again it won't play (and I lose the DTS if I convert).

I've tried streaming it to the PS3 using PS3 Media Server and it works...but stutters due to network limitations.

So, I used TSMuxer to isolate the DTS soundtrack. I then converted this to Dolby Digital (AC3) and then used TSMuxer to insert the Dolby Digital Audio. I then used mkvmerge to re-create the whole thing as .mkv...and then used mkv2vob.

I tried playing the resulting file on the PS3...no joy...data corrupted.

Then I tried converting by splitting to 4GB AVCHD files. Then copied the resulting files to PS3...again, no joy. No sound and choppy playback.

Can anyone help with this?

Here are details of the file:

*** ** ***** 3D Half-SBS.mkv
    Format : Matroska
    File size : 12.9 GB
    Duration : *h **min

Video
    Format : AVC
    Nominal bit rate : 10 000 Kbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps

Audio
    Format : DTS
    Bit rate : 1 510 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Language: English

Have managed to get other 3D HD files to work on the PS3 but not this one

Cheers if you can help

Search Comp PM
    The PS3 will not play DTS from files, only from authored optical discs. You can either author it to two AVCHD authored dual layer DVD blanks, or to a bluray blank. Otherwise you will have to convert the audio to AC3.
    Read my blog here.

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    U can try using PopCorn MKV AudioConverter. This one is the best DTS to Ac3 converter i found.
    Make sure you download all external tools, popcorn will download them for you.
    Also you don't have to mess with the settings much.

4. Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    The PS3 will not play DTS from files, only from authored optical discs. You can either author it to two AVCHD authored dual layer DVD blanks, or to a bluray blank. Otherwise you will have to convert the audio to AC3.
    I have tried streaming the file with DTS sound to my PS3 with PS3 Media Server without transcoding. It plays the video and sound but stutters due to limitations of my network. This is why I have already tried converting the audio to AC3 and tried AVCHD. Quote from my OP:

"So, I used TSMuxer to isolate the DTS soundtrack. I then converted this to Dolby Digital (AC3) and then used TSMuxer to insert the Dolby Digital Audio. I then used mkvmerge to re-create the whole thing as .mkv...and then used mkv2vob.

I tried playing the resulting file on the PS3...no joy...data corrupted.

Then I tried converting by splitting to 4GB AVCHD files. Then copied the resulting files to PS3...again, no joy. No sound and choppy playback."

So I have already tried what you suggested?

5. Originally Posted by Timmychuck View Post
    U can try using PopCorn MKV AudioConverter. This one is the best DTS to Ac3 converter i found.
    Will try this.

If I could just convert the file to 720p and keep the DTS soundtrack I'd be happy as I can stream 720p files over my network no problem.

6. Originally Posted by Timmychuck View Post
    Tried this. Got this error:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\MKVtoolnix\mkvmerge.exe" -o "J:\leamingtonspaceman\movies\Avatar 3D Half-SBS.MKV" -d 1 --compression 1:none -A "K:\uTorrent\AVATAR 3D Half SBS\Avatar 3D Half-SBS.mkv" --default-track 0:yes --language 0:und --compression 0:none -a 0 C:\Users\LEAMIN~1\AppData\Local\Temp\2.ac3 --track-order 0:1,1:0

mkvmerge v4.5.0 ('Speed of Light') built on Feb 1 2011 02:10:32
    Error: The source file 'K:uTorrentAVATAR 3D Half SBSAvatar 3D Half-SBS.mkv' could not be opened successfully, or retrieving its size by seeking to the end did not work.

7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Buy or rent Avatar on blu-ray and it will work fine.