VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I hope this is a quick q

I am using Pinnacle Studio 9 and when I commence capturing I get dropped frames (on initial start, ie at 0 seconds). It may take me 10 goes before I get one without dropped frames.

Does it matter if they are at the beginning? It doesn't happen after then, it literally only happens at 0 seconds.

What I hope is that I can start capturing, wait for the dropped frames then press play.....

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I personally avoid anything Dazzle/Pinnacle due to problems like this, but in your case, if it's only at the beginning, then it shouldn't be an issue.

Are you capturing VHS for example? Big deal then - just capture as is and maybe replay the first few seconds of the tape to get back those frames, and then use your editor to make adjustments after.

If you're capturing TV, for example, just start the capture a bit early and edit the extra padding out after.

Depending on what format you're recording to, any cuts/joins should be entirely lossless in your final production.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post
    just start the capture a bit early and edit the extra padding out after.
    Exactly...just start earlier.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Excellent, thanks for that, you confirmed what I thought
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As for which format you're capturing to use a dedicated cutter/joiner for it.

If you're capturing to MPEG, use something like TMPGEnc MPEG Editor, VideoReDo or Womble to do your cuts/joins without loss to the rest of the video.

If it's DV, or other AVI type of formats, just use VirutalDub with Direct Stream Copy. (For DivX/Xvid use Smart Rendering).
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote