VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys!
    Ok, here it is the scenario:
    I have a series of Japanese anime with Italian subtitles.
    In some episodes the subs are out of sync (randomly, not by the same amount of time from one line to the other) so I need to retime them.
    Is there a way to do the work within VOBs, without having to demux, converting, remuxing, etc...?
    Btw, when I demux I get a .sup file that no software but SubtitleCreator accepts, but it messes up with the colors/position.
    How do you work on sup files?
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try dvdsubedit.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi Baldrick and thanks for replying.
    As a matter of fact I have already tried with DVDSubEdit but it requires to know the amount of delay, which is not constant.
    I would need a piece of software allowing a more interactive editing, like Subtitle Workshop.

Another issue is that I haven't quite understood how to deal with those .sup files.
    It seems they are "indigestible" to almost all the software I have on my pc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVDSubEdit lets you change the delay for individual subtitles.
    It can also open SUP files.
    You can open SUP files with SUPviewer and change the times as well; but it doesn't show the video so it isn't that useful to you.

But if you want to do anything more complex, probably you should OCR them to text. Rendered subtitles aren't really meant to be edited.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi AlanHK,
    as you said you have to know the delay to work with DVDSubEdit.
    I was searching for something allowing to retime the subs "interactively" (i.e. setting start/end time while watching the video).
    OCR is a real p.i.t.a. but problem is that even if I go that way I edit a file (let's say a .srt) which I will have to convert to .sup for remuxing.
    During this process (.sup -> .srt -> .sup) something messes the colors/position/size of subs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Instant Martian View Post
    OCR is a real p.i.t.a. but problem is that even if I go that way I edit a file (let's say a .srt) which I will have to convert to .sup for remuxing.
    During this process (.sup -> .srt -> .sup) something messes the colors/position/size of subs.
    Colour/postion size is easy to fix.
    Most authoring apps accept SRT subs and you can configure exactly how they will look.
    Size, colour, font.
    Or use Subtitle Creator, which makes SUP files.

And again, DVDSubedit can change the colours and positions if they're not right after all that.

OCR though requires careful checking. It is never perfect.

Or you could make a rough SRT and see if there is a simple delay you can apply to sync it and apply that to the original SUBS in the VOB files using DVDSubedit.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I am not very into authoring so I usually do as much work as possible during the demux/remux process.
    For some reason I seem not to be able to understand how to use SubtitleCreator properly, I don't feel comfortable with it.
    I will try various approaches, hoping to find one that is good for me.
    Anyway thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote