VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hope I'm not beating a tired topic here, but I just got in to streaming video form Metflix, Amason and the like with a box that connects directly to the network and then outputs video and audio to the TV.

Unfortunately, when I connect those video and audio outputs to my video dvd/hdd recorder I get the dreaded message..."can not record...copy protected".

Does anyone make a box that I can put between the output of the streaming decoder and the input of my stand alone video recorder that will remove this silly DRM crap?

Thanks for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    OK, let's try another attack.
    Will the DRM signal survive being RF modulated/demodulated?
    In other works, if I take the video and audio output of the internet streaming box and feed it to a modulator (and change the signal to a TV channel) then tune that signal with the TV tuner in my dvd/hdd recorder, will I be able to record the signal? Sure a bit of quality will be lost, but that may be the price to pay.
    Perhaps no one has tried this method yet???
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by SkyerFlyer View Post
    Will the DRM signal survive being RF modulated/demodulated?
    No. But a good Macrovision remover (aka video stabilizer or video clarifier) will probably work. I have one that works with DVD players and my Netflix enabled Blu-ray player (both Blu-ray and Netflix can be recorded). Here's an example of such a device:

http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html

A TBC is the definitive solution.
    Last edited by jagabo; 19th Feb 2011 at 20:41.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks jagabo.
    I have a couple of Sima SCC units that works on Macrovision but doesn't touch DRM.
    Perhaps a newer unit is the answer.
    I will investigate!
    Quote Quote  
  6. How is the video get from the box to the TV? Analog composite or s-video cables? There is no DRM there. After being decrypted DRM protected content is sent over composite or s-video with Macrovision protection (it's not digital anymore, it's analog). That is where the stabilizer comes in. It will only be standard definition, of course. If you can only connect with HDMI a stabilizer won't help you.
    Quote Quote