VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    hi, I am desperately trying to get the DV tapes copied on to Final Cut Pro. I have just tried connecting the camcorder to the pansonic HDD/dvd recorder, and connecting my mac to the USB port and then the fire Wire port. Neither have worked (I was told to do this by apple!!!). I have now ran out of ideas. I've tried looking for all sorts of adapters to connect the camcorder straight to my computer. As you can tell I'm not majorly technical, so any help you can give i would greatly appreciate!!!

laurie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the panasonic most likely doesn't do analog to digital passthrough. your best bet is to record it and make a dvd with the panasonic. then import the video off the dvd to fcp. otherwise you need to buy another video camera or capture device that does analog to digital passthrough over firewire.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you for your help I will try that
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can pick up any of the Canon ZR series mini-DV camcorders on eBay for $100 or less. (I'm assuming your tapes are standard SD mini-DV.) They work with FCP and iMovie.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin View Post
    You can pick up any of the Canon ZR series mini-DV camcorders on eBay for $100 or less. (I'm assuming your tapes are standard SD mini-DV.) They work with FCP and iMovie.
    iirc that series was analog8/high8 not digital.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin View Post
    iirc that series was analog8/high8 not digital.
    Nope; strictly digital. That was one of the series Apple specifically recommended for iMovie. I still have my ZR100.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    no not mini DV otherwise i could have done that. It's the bigger tapes, and I cant connect it straight to my computer which is annoying
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it SD or HD? IF they're SD AND you have a way to get back to the studio where they were recorded (so they may be played back to analog - yellow/red/white cables) AND you have access to a camcorder like the aforementioned Canon ZR series, that camcorder permits analog input so you may re-record the analog footage to mini-DV (of course, at a lower bitrate—5GB/hour??) and then bring those tapes to your Mac.

Just trying to find another way to skin this cat...

(aedipuss's suggestion is akin to mine but going to DVD transcodes to MPEG2 first and then you have to bring it back to AIC or ProRes. Whether my suggestion of going back to analog and then into DV-Stream results in any better quality I can't say for sure but I believe so.)
    Quote Quote