VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Help, I bought a dvd, phar lap from Autralian ebayer, It is PAL . My dvd player wont play it. Does anyone have the region codes for my player
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Even if a region code hack existed you would still need to convert the PAL video format to NTSC video format.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to watch the DVD on a PC you can install the VLC media player. It's in our Tools section. It's freeware and it doesn't check region codes. PCs don't care about PAL/NTSC playback issues unlike standalone DVD players.

You can rip the DVD to your hard drive and re-burn to a new disc. That would remove the region coding. But as hech54 points out your DVD player may not play PAL video at all and you'd be stuck if that's the case. We have guides on PAL->NTSC conversions but I'll warn you that in general they take a lot of time to do and you may not be very satisfied with the final result (ghosting and unnatural motion issues are possible, plus you'll lose all the menus with a conversion). The quickest and best way to watch the DVD is to use VLC on a PC.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all for your helpful input
    Quote Quote