VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Thread

Threaded View

  1. Hello all VH forum members, i am new to this site and am hoping to gain a little help and advice

    I want to put my entire dvd collection onto my pc so i can run it off my tv and have an easy, all-in-one-place media centre. I have so far been using DVD decrypter to get images that contain vob, ifo and bup files. I do know i could simply use vlc player to play these images but i want to convert them to a single file instead that doesn't take up as much room, such as mpeg4.

    I have spent money on various programs that have said they can convert from vob files to mpeg4/avi/divX etc but i hadn't come across programs that could take multiple vob files (vobsets?!) and link them all up in one file, YET (my big problem!) without shrinking the size of the video when the conversion was complete.

    So I almost got the desired results yet the size of the picture was shrunk -so therefore even when watching on full screen mode in any media player the picture is half the size, yet retains the natural format from the dvds originally. I had thought initially the shrinking was caused by dvd decrypter but when i played them in vlc player they play full size. So i figured the shrinking of the picture must occur during the conversion?

    the latest software i have tried is 'vob2mpeg' the freeware version and have got the same results with a shrunken picture upon completion.
    so if anyone has any ideas to why this is happening and how to solve it, i'd be incredibly grateful.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 15th Feb 2011 at 16:55. Reason: New title
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2000
    Location: Sweden
    Search Comp PM
    I changed you thread title.


    All good dvd to avi/mp4 converters can convert to a single file like autogk, handbrake, staxrip. They will resize them to 16:9 , 2:35 pixel aspect resolutions. Remember that you should NOT open single vob files but choose the dvd folder or vts01.ifo file in the converters.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member steptoe's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2002
    Location: United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Any half decent DVD Ripper software willc onvert your DVDs to .avi files, some are free some are not

    To rip your DVDs, if they are copy protected, use either DVDFab or SlySoft AnyDVD

    DVDFab has the added advantage of it can also convert your DVDs to a single video file, either MKV or AVI


    The one you may want to look at is called DVDFab Video Converter


    That can rip and converter virtually any format you give it, weather its a blu-ray disc or DVD and converter it to a video file ready for you to watch. If you also have an Nvidia GFX card that is at least an 8800 then you can also use CUDA to speed up your ripping and conversion

    http://www.dvdfab.com/video-converter.htm

    But, its not free and cost $40. Not that much though if it saves you time and effort in one piece of software
    Quote Quote  
  4. Why convert at all? Just get more storage.

    A 2TB hard drive is less than $100 in the US.

    A 500GB is less than $40.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by qpskfec View Post
    Why convert at all? Just get more storage.

    A 2TB hard drive is less than $100 in the US.

    A 500GB is less than $40.
    because i have a dvd collection of more than 800 films (and counting) lol. with a small number of them already copied ripped (as images/vobsets with dvd decrypter) which has so far filled a 1.5tb hdd lol. it would be much easier converting these files to save space
    and also without wasting a lot of time that i have spent using dvd decrypter to rip a lot of films already.

    so i really want to be able to use a program that can work in conjunction with dvd decrypter and hopefully the above post's mentioned programs will allow me to do that.

    however thanks for your assistance too
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Any half decent DVD Ripper software willc onvert your DVDs to .avi files, some are free some are not

    To rip your DVDs, if they are copy protected, use either DVDFab or SlySoft AnyDVD

    DVDFab has the added advantage of it can also convert your DVDs to a single video file, either MKV or AVI


    The one you may want to look at is called DVDFab Video Converter


    That can rip and converter virtually any format you give it, weather its a blu-ray disc or DVD and converter it to a video file ready for you to watch. If you also have an Nvidia GFX card that is at least an 8800 then you can also use CUDA to speed up your ripping and conversion

    http://www.dvdfab.com/video-converter.htm

    But, its not free and cost $40. Not that much though if it saves you time and effort in one piece of software
    okay, i will look at the programs already mentioned first but if no luck i'll have to get one of those instead.
    with dvd decrypter i believe it removes any copyright protection... it does say its 'cracking' when a dvd is loaded from the drive...

    thanks for your assistance
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member hech54's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2001
    Location: Yank in Europe
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rockethead View Post
    [okay, i will look at the programs already mentioned first but if no luck i'll have to get one of those instead. with dvd decrypter i believe it removes any copyright protection... it does say its 'cracking' when a dvd is loaded from the drive
    DVDDecrypter is OLD and OUTDATED and will not work on newer DVDs. Use DVDFabDecrypter instead(yes there is a free portion of that program that rips the entire DVD to your hard drive).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by rockethead View Post
    [okay, i will look at the programs already mentioned first but if no luck i'll have to get one of those instead. with dvd decrypter i believe it removes any copyright protection... it does say its 'cracking' when a dvd is loaded from the drive
    DVDDecrypter is OLD and OUTDATED and will not work on newer DVDs. Use DVDFabDecrypter instead(yes there is a free portion of that program that rips the entire DVD to your hard drive).
    thats interesting, i have managed to rip many films with very few failures so far but thinking about it they have been newer dvds actually, so in the future i may need to upgrade that as well then lol
    yet i have been very pleased with the results so far from dvd decrypter, so i'll use it until its useless lol

    thanks for your assistance
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I changed you thread title.


    All good dvd to avi/mp4 converters can convert to a single file like autogk, handbrake, staxrip. They will resize them to 16:9 , 2:35 pixel aspect resolutions. Remember that you should NOT open single vob files but choose the dvd folder or vts01.ifo file in the converters.
    i haven't tried any of those so i will give them a go. yeah i understand that i need all the files contained, half the programs i tried wouldn't take a folder of dvd files and half the other programs that did, shrunk the size giving it a black frame all around the video when they played in media players. so fingers crossed one of those programs you mention will be what i'm after.

    thanks for your assistance
    Last edited by rockethead; 16th Feb 2011 at 14:24. Reason: spelling lol
    Quote Quote  
  10. I recommand MakeMKV if you don't want to encode. It take less place then a dvd image. If you want to encode MeGui or handbrake CQ 18.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads