VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi all,

A friend tell me about this personal cloud server, which allow you to upload your video to your own server and watch anywhere in the world, no need to carry external hard drive any more.

my question are is this too good to be truth?

and for people used before any pro and con?

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There those vaporware systems ... lolll

Yes they exist but free accounts come with limits and always read the fine print about copyrighted contents which is what you would be using. Second is that "anywhere" ... this also means "bandwidth" ... this could be problematic "buffering content" with media players waiting for data so as to play the content smoothly ... if it cannot keep up it's not worth using.

You'll avoid all these issues and complications by simply buying a new terabyte hard drive or two and putting your data onto them ... you have control.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    hmm, not familiar with vaporware systems but here is what happen that day:

he told me that I need to buy the hardware for around $150, and you can put up to 2 hard drives in there, one for backing up and other for sharing. with no monthly fee.

is feel like you uploading video to your own youtube and have access to it around the world..

I saw him do a demo at my house, which he access to his person cloud sever and watch video, my house use cable company for internet, it has no lags when he was there.

will internet speed on transmit and receiving end affect the bandwidth?

I like it cause, it has a nice and clean look on the login screen, with organize lay out of his videos. make him looks professional
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I suspect this thread is nothing but an attempt at free advertising.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    lol hech54 you are right, my friend was advertising to me about his system. did some research and found data storage giants are start selling basic type of this product, they call it network drive.

personal cloud server is in advance level when compare to network drive.

if you have experience in personal cloud server please share them
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have experience with servers and hosting accounts of all levels, as well as CDNs. The quality of CDNs is already stressed by connections, and those cost a ton of money. The idea that a cloud server could be done for the barebones consumer price structure, and retain any bit of quality, is laughable. The same can be said of "online backup" services. "Anywhere in the world" is also misleading, and bandwidth quality and price is NOT the same everywhere. You should also know that the term "cloud" is not defined, similar to "TBC" (a reference many on this site would understand). Almost anything can call itself a cloud, but not really be a true cloud. And a "network drive" isn't a cloud.

Home users should stick to local storage options.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Sure, I'll be happy to park a load of data with some internet-based company, located I know not where, and be secure in the knowledge that my data will be safe, well-cared-for, and not handed out to anybody who wants it for a reasonable fee.

Spectacularly stupid idea. You can buy a Terrabyte drive for less than a hundred bucks, and actually enjoy some speed using it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Great comments Nelson and lordsmurf.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

Home users should stick to local storage options.

Agreed!
    Quote Quote