VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys,

I know this topic has been discussed to death, but I've tried just about every avenue mentioned in this forum and STILL haven't found a workable solution.

MY SITUATION

I have some MKV files which I have used MKVextractGUI to extract the video from. This naturally comes out in H264 format. I do not need the audio, just the video. I want to convert this to a program my video editing program can use (Sony Vegas). I do NOT want to re-encode the files using XVID or the like. Or, if I must re-encode, I would like to use some sort of lossless compression method. This is crucial.

METHODS I'VE TRIED

AllToAVI - As far as I can see, there's no way to do with without data loss.
    FormatFactory - I've used the Copy method but my video editing program doesn't see any video data. It will import the files, but won't play them.
    Avidemux - Crashes everytime I try to load my files.
    avc2avi - Tried this with the GUI. It works okay, but my video editor will only read the files about half the time. I keep having to shut Vegas down and have it re-load the files. This gets old really fast.

I would really appreciate any help you guys would give me. I feel like there's something really simple that I'm just overlooking.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try XMediaRecode? It's supposed to change just the container from MKV to AVI, without re-encoding. Don't know if your editing software will have a problem with the result, though.
    Last edited by CSULB71; 12th Feb 2011 at 19:41.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For vegas, re-encode using huffyuv
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I too will say use HuffYUV in an AVI. Big in file size, but zero quality loss. You can always delete this intermediary file after you're done anyway.

Use tsMuxeR and mux the raw H.264 stream into a TS file so it can be workable.
    Index it with FFMSIndex.
    Create an AviSynth script with this index.
    Load the script into VirtualDub and convert to a HuffYUV AVI.
    Load the AVI into Vegas and edit.

These were all free tools. However, if you want an easy solution that isn't free, you can use just load the MKV straight into TMPGEnc Xpress, cut it where you want and export to HuffYUV and load that into Vegas if further edits are needed.

You can always re-encode the AVI file after the final edits into DvD, DivX, Xvid, H.264 again, or whatever.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hey, just wanted to say thanks. I didn't get the chance to test this until now, but using TMPGEnc Xpress and Huffyuv worked great for me.
    Quote Quote