VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    How do I put a 640x480 video in a 1280x720 frame in Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 without the 640x480 resizing to fit the 1280x720 frame?

In project properties, the width and height is 1280x720. My video is 640x480.

This is what it looks like when I add the video to the timeline:

Click image for larger version

Name:	capture1.jpg
Views:	16067
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	5534

This is my original video:

Click image for larger version

Name:	capture2.jpg
Views:	14762
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	5535

Because 720 is greater than 480, there should be a black area above and below the video in addition to the left and right side of the video. However, Vegas is resizing to fit the 1280x720 frame.

How do I put a 640x480 video into 1280x720 without Vegas resizing the video?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Not sure if this is the correct method:

Open pan/crop. Under "Position", change width and height from 640x480 to 1280x720. This reduces the video size but not sure if its making the video go down to 640x480 or another size.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Edit : re-read post. Yes, use Event Pan and Crop and described above to reduce the size to 640 x 480, then use Track Motion if necessary to centre it in the 1280 x 720 frame.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. This is one of those things about vegas that users have been complaining about for years

IMO there should be a switch (like other editors) in the options to turn off default resizing , unfortunately you have to use that workaround
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Deactivate "maintain aspect ratio" and "size about center", use the zoom slider to reveal more workspace, enlarge the crop rectangle so the top and bottom of the 4:3 video is the size you want, then expand the crop rectangle left and right to widen it, then slide it left to right to position the 4:3 video.

Once you do it once, it's very easy, you'll see. You're basically doing a "shrink" or reverse zoom then a reposition.

Track motion works too, but it's an extra step and you have to keyframe it back to default if there are any more videos on that track.

Like This:

[Attachment 5546 - Click to enlarge]

To make the video smaller, make the crop frame larger:
    [Attachment 5547 - Click to enlarge]

The video will always have the correct AR no matter the size.
    Last edited by budwzr; 10th Feb 2011 at 20:44.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vid83 View Post
    Not sure if this is the correct method:

Open pan/crop. Under "Position", change width and height from 640x480 to 1280x720. This reduces the video size but not sure if its making the video go down to 640x480 or another size.

The size changes but not the AR.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Sooner or later, though, you're going to have to decide which one you want to do: PAN & SCAN (cropping to fit), LETTERBOX/PILLARBOX (shrinking/growing to fit, maintaining AR), or STRETCH (shrinking/growing to fit, discading source AR in favor of target AR).

You do realize 640x480 (with 1:1 PAR) is 4:3 DAR, whereas 1280x720 (with 1:1 PAR) is 16:9 DAR, so it's never going to be a natural fit.

Scott
    Quote Quote