VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi, bit of a problem. I recently bought this Dvd player, it reads normal DVD's fine, and it plays media through the USB fine too. The problem is my burnt DVD-R's. It doesn't recognise the disc.

I done a test with the same film on USB and on the disc, it worked perfectly through the USB, the disc works in my laptop, PS3, and my other Divx enabled DVD player. I can't remember the make of the other DVD player, but it was cheaper that this Toshiba (which is cheap anyway) and it handles them fine.

I don't see how it could be a disc drive fault as it reads normal DVDs, and it's region free.

What else could be the culprit? I'm usually okay with this type of thing, and have spent quite a while researching online but have come up with nothing and it's getting pretty frustrating.

I'd appreciate any help you can offer, thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried a DVD+R disc?

Some older DVD players were picky about DVD+R or -R.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, try to reburn the disc using a +R bitset (in burning software book type setting) to "DVD ROM" and see if that works...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by irish-sid View Post
    Hi, bit of a problem. I recently bought this Dvd player, it reads normal DVD's fine, and it plays media through the USB fine too. The problem is my burnt DVD-R's. It doesn't recognise the disc.
    Did you just "drag and drop" the file to a blank DVD as DATA or did you actually author a DVD from this file?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for replying.

The way I burn my discs is in Vista, I just highlight what I want to burn and then click the burn button.

It has always worked.

I'll go get some DVD+r now and try with those, but I don't think it will make a difference. This DVD player is newer than the other one, and it's a DIVX enabled player, and was advertised to play all different types of discs. I got it for the same reason I got the other one, so I wouldn't have to convert anything to be able to play them, just a simple burn.

Please take a look here.
    And at the specifications on the same page, this player should be able to handle a burnt DVD-r.

Right, I'm going out to buy some DVD+r now to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by irish-sid View Post
    Please take a look here.
    And at the specifications on the same page, this player should be able to handle a burnt DVD-r.

Right, I'm going out to buy some DVD+r now to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks again.
    Don't waste your time on DVD+R discs.
    If you look in under specifications on that link....where is says Divx Playback ....it says it will play Divx files on CD-R or CD-RW....just like I suspected.
    Last edited by hech54; 10th Feb 2011 at 09:13.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Oh, so it won't play them from a DVD-R? That's a shame. I just have to stick with the USB then.

Thanks all for you help.
    Quote Quote