VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have some HD ATSC capture recordings. I simply want to make a blu-ray video disc with them and maybe create a little menu, nothing terribly fancy, is that so much to ask? These are 1080i broadcast MPEG2 12Mbit files capture with an ATI Theater 650.

I tried PowerProducer 5.5 which seems to allow me to do what I want, but the interface is clunky, the menu customization is ridiculously limited, and it just got hung up and created an expensive coaster for me.

I have Nero Vision 10, and I like the easy to use interface a lot. My gripe is that it stubbornly wants to re-encode my files when they don't need to be and gives me no choice in the matter. In settings I can only either let it fit everything to the size of the disc or manually pick a target bitrate. I don't need to pick a bitrate, the files are fine encoded the way they are! I do not want to waste time re-encoding files that are already blu-ray spec compliant At most I might like to do some simple trimming or AB cuts on the files. Am I missing something here?

What other good software options are there at reasonable consumer price that will just take my MPEG2 recordings as-is and help me make a blu-ray video disc from them? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try tsmuxer, It can make a avchd, ts or bluray disk from your avc/h.264 or perhaps mpeg2 video as it's bluray standard.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	458
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	5513  

Quote Quote  
  3. multiAVCHD can do simple menus and output to Blu-Ray. Not as simple to use as tsMuxer.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Woops, I finally found the answer myself, but thanks for those suggestions, I may try them also.

In Nero there's a SmartEncoding option. Apparently SmartEncoding means it's smart enough not to re-encode stuff that is compliant with the type of disc you are trying to make. The default setting was "Auto" which you would think would do what I want. When I set it to "Enabled" it quit trying to re-encode all my stuff. At the end of the wizard it had a "Smart encode video ration: 99.3%", which basically means it was going to use about 99% of my video file unaltered with just a little bit of re-encoding around my cut points.

I must say I don't favor Nero's default setting behavior, but I'm glad I was able to do what I wanted finally, so maybe someone else will find this useful to know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That is good to know.

Next point: What about checking Motion-adaptive Deinterlacing and Motion-adaptive Frame Rate Conversion? Good idea?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nero Vision 10 Encoding Options.jpg
Views:	2678
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	5956

And how about Super Resolution?
    Quote Quote  
  6. TMPGenc Authoring Works for bluray (mpeg2) - DVD Architect for bluray h.264/avc and mpeg2.
    Quote Quote