VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have always been able to add subs to my divx files with aviaddxsubs with no problems for playback on my ps3. Those divx files have always been 720x480. I recently tried to add subs to a divx file that is 1280x720 and the subs ended up smack dab in the middle of the video. I tried it again and this time change the width and height to a custom value of 1280x720 in the settings under the "subtitle bitmap" section in the configuration1 tab (# 19 below). I ended up with the same result. I'm thinking I need to change the value under "subtitle position" for the CP and VP values but I have no idea what to enter (#20 below). Can someone offer a little guidance? Thanks... P.S. this screenshot is not mine, it was taken right from the apps website.

Quote Quote  
  2. If the resolution is 1280x720 I've had good luck using Custom and putting 1280 and 720.
    In Subtitle Position Center At I divide the horizontal res by 2.. which would be 640 in this case.
    The Vertical Position I usually subtract 20 from the Vertical Res. In this case 700 would be the number.

The trick seems to be, click the idx/sub tab and put the same numbers there. Otherwise it will be set to the defaults for 720x480.
    Under Align I put Center rather than Left.

Like you have it, I select Always for reposition subs.

If you are burning to CD it's a good idea to chop off a piece maybe using AviDemux and a shortened subtitle file, and burning to an erasable as the software players don't always show what's going to happen in the stand-alone DVD player.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That helped a lot. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. btw I just found out that on WD HDTV for USB set top box(at least 1st gen that I have) setting the YUV option on Configuration 2 page will get it to show the black outline/border. On the PC it will show funky colors instead of white. This deterred me from trying this earlier. Now my subs don't disappear when the background is white. Also found RayGun font works better than Arial or Tahoma, at least on my WD box.

RayGun is a free font if you want to try it. I downloaded from Softpedia but it may be available elsewhere also.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote