VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Tomorrow i'll get mini dv tapes of my cousin's wedding. If they are progressive dv records, can i capture them by progressive mode with my non-progressive camera? Btw, Is there a way to know that tapes are progressive or not?(Of Course, they don't know the camera model) Thanks, Best wishes…
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alip View Post
    Tomorrow i'll get mini dv tapes of my cousin's wedding. If they are progressive dv records, can i capture them by progressive mode with my non-progressive camera? Btw, Is there a way to know that tapes are progressive or not?(Of Course, they don't know the camera model) Thanks, Best wishes…
    Progressive DV video is recorded as various field pad (aka telecine) sequences so a straight copy will be output as pseudo 720x480i or 720x576i and will play fine in a similar format DV camcorder. Post a clip with motion so we can try to decode the pattern.

The camcorder make/model and recording mode would save this CSI work.

PS: Since you are in Istanbul, it is most likely you will have 720x576i (full interlace) or a 25p mode (both fields sampled at same point in time. An "NTSC" tape will not play in a "PAL" DV camcorder.
    Last edited by edDV; 8th Feb 2011 at 16:35.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for reply, but my real question is : my dv camera can't record 25p mode, however can i capture 25p dv tape by using my camera?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alip View Post
    Thanks for reply, but my real question is : my dv camera can't record 25p mode, however can i capture 25p dv tape by using my camera?
    Yes, the playback camcorder doesn't know or need to know it is progressive. If it is 25p, you need to tell your editor it is 25p.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you very much...
    Quote Quote