VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. All right, I am finally trying to get my VCR collection burned to DVD, only about 15 years after I should have! And it has been nothing but problems every step of the way. Had to replace my VCR because the old one quit playing disks. And now my ilo has been acting up.

Every time I try to put a disc in, wanting to burn some of the files to a disk, it reads preparing for about five minutes, then spits the disk out. As far as I can tell, it isn't actually doing anything to it.

I'm guessing it is time to break open the case, remove the DVD writer, and replace it. But before I go that route, any other suggestions, first? If I do have to put in a new writer, anywhere to find good instructions on how to do it? I'm not completely hopeless ... I once rigged an extra hard disk to my iMac ... but it's not the kind of thing I'm really comfortable with.

If I continue to run into problems with the thing, is there any general consensus of the best way to get VCR tapes into a digital format, these days?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    More information would be very helpful. You mention 'ilo'. What model and brand of DVD? recorder? If that's what you have?

Also, what brand and model of VHS player?

If that is a DVD recorder, changing out the DVD burner may be a fairly complex project, depending if it uses a standard DVD burner. Not all do.

First thing I would try is different DVD media. What brand and version are you using at present? Cheap DVD media can cause a lot of problems. Not worth the 'savings', IMO.

The 'best' way is usually the most complicated and expensive. A capture card for the VHS, a TBC (Time Base Corrector) for cleaning up the VHS sync signals, a good brand of VHS player and a fast computer with lots of hard drive space, along with a editor that can do some corrections. Not so simple.

But most times you should be able to achieve decent quality with just a good VHS player and a good DVD recorder. You likely will still have to do some work on the recorded DVD to clean it all up and make a decent DVD from the files. Re-recordable DVDs are one option here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. As noted in the thread title, it is an ilo04 with the hard drive. Per several other threads I have hunted for and looked through, the dvds on these can be swapped out with many different models of DVD burners, though the indication is that there is a higher likelihood of it working with the Ricoh burners (iirc) since supposedly it is some kind of Ricoh that is already in it.

I have tried using Office Depot discs, Staples discs, Memorex, and brand new Sonys used just to make sure it wasn't because the others had gotten too old. Same thing with all of them. 'Preparing' for five or ten minutes, then just eject the discs. No other messages, no errors, but no progress, either.

The VCR player is a VCR/DVD combo by RCA. It seems to produce a good picture, most of the time, and the ilo records a good picture from it ... I just can't get them burned onto discs.

From other, much older threads, they make it sound like the swapping out of a drive is pretty simple, but I'd love to find a site or thread with step-by-step details, if one is available.

I'd like to rescue the ilo, because there is footage on it that I don't want to lose that didn't come from video tapes.

As far as the video tape to DVD part, I could get a new unit, but if so, I would want one that includes a hard drive, for splitting and editing purposes to be able to manage at least some slight clean-up. (Something that allows 'closer' editing than ilo's 4 or 5 seconds might be nice, however.) And I will admit the ilo's naming abilities and menu capabilities suck, but I am guessing that is a matter of if you want nicer menus, you have to forgo simple.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I own an Ilo 04 without the HD and I replaced my writer with an Lite-On ihap122. I bought it at Newegg for under $24.00. The writer doesn't work with DL discs of course. The 04 I have never had the option. My 04 is Macrovision free and has the 3 hour (LP) mode as well. I hope this helps you out.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi Batchman, your problem is the typical symptom of a failing drive in the ILO HD04, you might even see a small burndt ring close the center on the discs that the HD04 spat out. Unfortunately those would be coasters now.

Yes, you can replace the drive, if you're handy and find a compatible drive, harder to find now in 2011 but you can find some on eBay. The older drives are fully compatible, the newer drives will not fast forward a disc, the drive will freeze up. They burn fine, I just don't use those recorders to view dvds anyways so no real need for fast forward, they do chapter up and rewind if I need to move on a disc.

Here's a good guide to replace a drive:

http://www.normediasolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=424

and here's a good list of compatible drives:

http://club.myce.com/f89/replacement-drives-liteon-5xxx-recorders-207698/

here's another guide with good pics showing a drive replacement in a Liteon 5005, ILOs are clones of Liteons.

http://club.myce.com/f89/shw-160p6s-lvw-5005-success-165085/

You must bring the drive to the PC and set it a region 1 and play a commercial disc to test before installing otherwise the ILO won't recognize it. Might as well check for firmware updates for the drive before taking it out. You'll need to remove the bezel and face plate of the drive, don't forget to set the jumper at MASTER, then you can proceed with the installation.

You won't need to reflash the firmware.

Good Luck
    Quote Quote  
  6. CrazyCanuck, thank you ... haven't looked at the links yet, but they sound like exactly what I was looking for. I actually meant lite-on, rather than Ricoh.

No problems with me on the fast forward, either ... all I want the DVD recorder part for is copying stuff from the hard drive to discs.

I'm worried about what you are saying at the end, though ... the only PC I currently have is a laptop, kind of hard to attach an interior burner to, if I am correct. But with these links to go on, I'll start looking for a replacement burner.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
    Hi Batchman, your problem is the typical symptom of a failing drive in the ILO HD04, you might even see a small burndt ring close the center on the discs that the HD04 spat out. Unfortunately those would be coasters now.

Yes, you can replace the drive, if you're handy and find a compatible drive, harder to find now in 2011 but you can find some on eBay. The older drives are fully compatible, the newer drives will not fast forward a disc, the drive will freeze up. They burn fine, I just don't use those recorders to view dvds anyways so no real need for fast forward, they do chapter up and rewind if I need to move on a disc.

Here's a good guide to replace a drive:

http://www.normediasolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=424

and here's a good list of compatible drives:

http://club.myce.com/f89/replacement-drives-liteon-5xxx-recorders-207698/

here's another guide with good pics showing a drive replacement in a Liteon 5005, ILOs are clones of Liteons.

http://club.myce.com/f89/shw-160p6s-lvw-5005-success-165085/

You must bring the drive to the PC and set it a region 1 and play a commercial disc to test before installing otherwise the ILO won't recognize it. Might as well check for firmware updates for the drive before taking it out. You'll need to remove the bezel and face plate of the drive, don't forget to set the jumper at MASTER, then you can proceed with the installation.

You won't need to reflash the firmware.

Good Luck
    Some good info here, sorry, I forgot to mention installing the new drive in a computer to get it started as well as setting it to MASTER. I only use my iLo to record, not watch dvds.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes, the drive must be brought to a PC and set as described earlier. You can always seek out help from a friend, colleague at work, anybody with a PC that can connect IDE drives to set the drive.

For splitting, I don't split on the fly, when I'm in edit mode I press the stop button just before where I want to split and creep up to the point by repressing the stop button, when I get to the split point I wait a few seconds (5 seconds), it seems to settle the HDD and hit split, it dos pick a few frames behind the split, definitely less then 5 seconds.

Here's another thread about larger hdd, if interested.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/244693-Upgrade-Liteon-lvw-5045-to-400G-successfully/page2

and here's the site where you can pick up the firmware

http://www.twowheels.force9.co.uk/liteonus.htm
    Quote Quote  
  9. So if you pause it, then wait several seconds, you can better control where the split happens?

That is very nice to know! Seems when I try to split, it is frequently several seconds from where I wanted it.

The units seem to have their good points (at least that is what I keep telling myself ;D ) but there are also certainly places where there is room for improvements!

Anyway, I found a new Lite-On SHW-160P6S on amazon for $50, which doesn't seem horrible to rescue this thing, so I'm ordering it, and will be able to proceed in a few days!

Again, thanks for the help!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Batchman, before you start trying to find a compatible replacement drive, try cleaning it first! I've got a couple of Liteon 5006b DVD recorders that I've been keeping going for a number of years with new DVD drives etc. If you've never had the case off the internal DVD drive before then try this;-

Inside the drive, there's usually some sort of rubber ring that the disc sits on. This ruber ring spins the disc without letting it slip and slide. There's often some sort of freely rotating ring or plate above the disc as well, that the disc is pushed against when spinning. This helps with keeping the disc stable when spinning at high speed and stops it from wobbling too much. With age and use both of these rings often get worn and polished and don't do such a good job in stopping the disc from slipping or wobbling - either of which will give you all sorts of read errors.

Open the DVD case (if the drive isn't already open inside the recorder's case) and use a cleaning solvent (preferably one that doesn't leave any residue. I prefer lighter fluid but have used unperfumed nail polish remover. I'm sure others here will have some better alternatives.) and some cotton buds and just keep wiping the two rings/plates until the buds stop showing dirt. (If you get a lot of "dirt" on the cotton bud that's exactly the same colour as the rubber, then just do it a couple of times as your solvent is probably melting the rubber!) Let it dry for a few minutes, put everything back and see whether it works again. It's surprising how often this works!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Batchman View Post
    I have tried using Office Depot discs, Staples discs, Memorex, and brand new Sonys used just to make sure it wasn't because the others had gotten too old. Same thing with all of them. 'Preparing' for five or ten minutes, then just eject the discs. No other messages, no errors, but no progress, either.
    Office Depot = CMC
    Staples = CMC
    Memorex = CMC
    brand new Sony = RitekF

... so you've only actually tried two discs.

Learn more about blank media, and why brand doesn't matter
    at http://www.digitalFAQ.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

I'd look to use Verbatim discs (non-Life, non-Value Series).
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

... so you've only actually tried two discs.

Learn more about blank media, and why brand doesn't matter
    at http://www.digitalFAQ.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

I'd look to use Verbatim discs (non-Life, non-Value Series).
    And only the Sonys would be considered not totally landfill material

I'd also agree with timA-C on cleaning the spindle. A slipping spindle can cause all kinds of problems. Generally any type of mild non residual solvent works well, I use a foam swab and magnetic tape head cleaner.
    If the spindle rubber is hard and not somewhat grippy as a last resort you may want to try a product like regrip which when applied with a cotton swab will eat off the dead outer layer of rubber and expose a new more grippy surface. If the spindle allows disc slippage you'll get failed burns. A classic sign of spindle slippage is a scuffed or non crystal clear center area of your DVDs. I've never seen it progress to actually burning or melting the center area but I suppose if the recorder just kept trying to spin the disc but the disc stays stationary after a time it could cause burning. Panasonics(which regularly need spindle cleaning) error out long before that.
    Quote Quote  
  13. This is getting to be scary for a non-techno, non-mechanical kind of guy, but I'll give it a shot. (After all, waht's the worst that happens? I break the drive that doesn't work anyway, and get to replace it, which I was about to do, anyway.)

What about rubbing alcohol? Probably safe to use to try cleaning?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Well, because I do not yet trust this to last at all long, my unit is currently sitting open, but it seems to be allowing me to burn at least one disc, so far, after going inside the writer and doing a little cleaning with alcohol. Don't know how well it is doing yet ... will have to do some testing, but at least I may have a chance to start saving some stuff off of it!

So what's with all this copper-looking inch-wide tape wrapped around the burner, anyway?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Possibly something to stop EMF?
    Iso should be just fine for the cleaning, many people seem to use it, mainly because it's something everyone has.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Cleaning the spindle and the lens will work for a while, I found myself opening and cleaning wayyy too often after the drive started to give me problems. As I first eluded to, do you see a small burnt ring on those failed disks? It's a this point that I replaced my drives.

As jjeff states, the copper is, we believe, to stop electronic/electric interference, there's no bottom plate on this drive. I've taken it off completely when installing a PC drive in the ILO, no issues since.

I've used Isopropyl and Windex in the past, I would use a dry Q-tip to sort of buff any residual film off the lens after cleaning it either alcohol or window cleaner.

The Liteon 160 will work, had a few of those in the past, won't fast forward.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FYI I read a thread where a user cross flashed the Lite-On SHW-160P6S to SHM-165P6s which was then cross flashed to Sony DW-G120A to gain normal fast forward function. I have cross flashed the SHM-165P6s to Sony DW-G120A myself, and it does have normal fast forward when installed in a LiteOn 5005 recorder. You should be able to find instruction on how to do cross flash by doing a search for "Cross flash LiteOn to Sony" at http://club.myce.com/f44/ if interested.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Thanks, all ... I will see how long the drive functions with the cleaning I gave it ... and if it is less than a month, I'm getting the new drive. Up to a month, and it might let me copy over all the video tapes I need to, at which point I probably won't even care anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  19. So quick side question ... I need to be able to make copies of the stuff I'm now pulling off my ilo, then burn more copies. No copyrights to worry about, since these are things I have ripped from my (taped live) video tapes. Anyone know of any free software that can let me copy my new (personally made) DVDs to my computer's disc, then burn it to another disc?

(I have a friend who wants me to make her copies of my footage, and she gave me a pack of - discs, and of course the ilo only wants to work with + dvds.)

In the old days, DVDShrink would be nice, but it seems it is no longer free.

Never mind ... it seems there are tons of people selling it these days, but it is still available here, in the earlier version ... no replies needed ... I should be good now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This thread title is awesome, BTW.

"I am so smart, S-M-R-T."
    "You bent my wookie."
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
    "Ha, ha!"
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 16th Feb 2011 at 23:13.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Thank you, lordsmurf ... too many 'problem with my ilo' threads, I thought I could at least be creative about it.

Looks like DVD Shrink only wants to work with Nero for burning things.

So I will kind of go back to my original question:

What is the simplest way to make copies of my ilo-produced DVDs using free software (preferably available here on videohelp!) Don't need or want anything complex, just simple basic copies.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is the simplest way to make copies of my ilo-produced DVDs using free software
    ImgBurn.
    ISO read, then ISO write.
    Use a good disc.
    Quote Quote  
  23. All right, I'm giving that one a try ... thank you!

(Shouldn't be any problem in renaming the .iso file, I hope ... I'm going to keep several of these on my drive, at least for the near future. Lots of family members want copies of them!)

Maybe after I get all this stuff on DVD, where I don't have to worry about them deteriorating as much, I can finally learn how to go in and improve the video quality. Some of these tapes are 25 years old, and the newest are already 15 years old. I've noticed this red haze along the right side of people in my videos that I would love to figure out how to get rid of, some day.

(But it would probably be rocket science, and I'm only a brain surgeon.)

I like the various Simpsons quotes!
    Quote Quote  
  24. and burn at lower than max rated speed. I usually burn at half the max rated speed and have very few problems with dvds either not being recognized or taking ages to spin up before the menu appears on screen.
    Quote Quote  
  25. LS beat me to it, I also use ImgBurn, makes nice copies.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here's the link to download DVDShrink with IMGBurn
    http://download3.videohelp.com/DVDShrink32_w_ImgBurn.rar

Be sure after you select backup, choose your Select Backup Target as ISO Image File And Burn With IMGBurn. Then all you have to do is put a blank dvd in your drive.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You don't want to use DVD Shrink on homemade DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  28. [edit] Nevermind ... already found a guide to tell me how to do this ... and am uploading my first video to youtube while I type this! I love this place! [/edit]

So you fine folks have been able to answer my every question so far ... I will ask another one and hope I'm not pressing the knowledge too far (not likely with this group) or if you'll get ticked at me for turning my original thread into more of a multi-purpose thread ....

Any program in the videohelp tools section that could let me easily take these DVDs and easily put them in a form I could post on youtube?

I know I've seen a couple of 'professional' programs that claim to do it, but anything quick and free?
    Last edited by Batchman; 20th Feb 2011 at 00:25.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Don't know how well this is working, yet ... still in the testing phase ... but my new dvd burner arrived today. I hooked it up to my dead desktop system which will no longer boot up, then turned the system on. The DVD drive started to spin, and I added an official movie disk and let it spin for a while. I did not know if this would work or not, but I figured it was worth a try. I then detached the new drive and brought it over to my ilo.

Hooked it up, but could not secure it in place. The new drive sits on top of and completely covers all four of the screw holes where the old drive was secure. The old drive had indentations in the drive case where it left room for the screws. The new drive has nothing like that. But it sits flat on the pillers the old drive screwed into, so I decided to test it. I hooked up the IDE cable and the power, and turned the thing on. It seemed to turn on as usual, and when I put a blank disk in, it did the usual preparing. I told it to burn a disk, and it is currently 40% of the way through, and so far seems to be working fine. So it seems like my dead system that could not fully boot up was enough to establish region 1 and whatever else it needed to do.

I will actually sit on this post for a few minutes, and make sure the disk finishes burning all right, before posting. (And it looks like it did finish up all right. Am finishing it now, then will try to play through a bit and see how all looks, but everything seems to be good!)

In the meantime, a couple of questions. How much do I need to worry about the fact I seem to have no way to secure the drive in place? As long as I don't damage it by trying to move it around too much, should it be fine, or do I need to work on finding some way to secure it?

It doesn't seem to burn disks any faster, so I have to guess that either the original ilo drive was already 16x, or the unit just doesn't have the ability to make use of the new drive's higher speed. Either way, even if it isn't any faster, as long as it works and continues to work, I will be more than happy!

(And for anyone watching my post in the other topic ... all the drives, bridges and discs are coming from different places ... the DVD drive was just the first one to arrive, and I figured I might as well get it in place ... this way I can clean everything off the old hard drive before the new one arrives.)
    Last edited by Batchman; 3rd Mar 2011 at 00:07.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Hi Batchman, good to hear that you got it working.

The drive will record and copy discs right out of the box. The real test to see if the region 1 stuck is to try and play a commercial disc. I do have to set the region to 1 manually with the PC when I get a new replacement drive.

To secure my drives, they sit on the posts, I bend a piece of metal (actually I use a duct strapping piece which I cut in small lenghts), about 3 inches long, 1 1/2 inch wide, not too thick, 90 degrees (L) I mark and drill a hole on the side where it would line up with the drive's holes at the back of the drive, between the motherboard and drive.

I mark the foot part where it would meet the bump (rise) on the bottom, drill a hole in the foot, line it up again and mark the bottom bump through the hole, remove everything, drill a hole in the bottom then I reinstall the drive and secure the (L), one on the side and a SHORT screw on the bottom, don't want to scratch any other equipement or furniture !!!

I used to do two (L)s, one on each side of the drive at the back, found that it was a bit of overkill, one suffices.

When the ILO was design and manufactured, 4x was the norm so the OS is based on that speed. A drive with faster capacity doesn't do anything in the ILO, 4x is as fast as we'll get. What we do get is a way better working drive than the original. Because it's a PC drive, it's not as finicky with the type of media you can use compared to proprietary drives in other recorders.
    Quote Quote