VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've got some MKV files with subtitles... I want to convert these to MP4 so that I can import them to the iPad and pay them through Video.app to my TV using Apple's iPad-to-TV cable (the Composite AV cable).

I can see the subtitles in VLC on the Mac. I can see the subtitles in VLC on the iPad. But VLC on the iPad can't play out to the TV through the cable.

I've got:

Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate
    Aimersoft Total Media Converter
    MKVTools
    iSkysoft Video Converter

But not matter what I do, I can't seem to find a recipe to convert to MP4 while burning the subtitles to the video.

Can anyone help? Many thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, but with such a terse reply I can only hope that I guess right on the settings.

I loaded the file. Under the Subtitles tab under Track there was "Foreign Audio Search - (Bitmap)" which when selected allows "Forced only" and "Burned in" to be selected. Also under that track was "0 - English - (Text) (UTF-8)" which when selected did not allow such choices. I am converting with the former selected and ... hope.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am afraid that my attempt to use Handbrake to burn subtitles in ended up with an MP4 (M4V) file which had no subtitles at all, not even when viewed in VLC.

I am not sure what I should do now, and would very much appreciate instructions.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I am often convert .mkv to .mp4 for my PSP with FormatFactory. It IS has some flaws, but here no many such tool anyway.

1) FormatFactory MUST be version 2.45 or less. Unfortunate, later 2.50 and 2.60 version contains BUG and i am can not see video on PSP at all.
    2) Each time you start FF 2.45 you MUST set video and audio bitrate. Another bug - FF do not remembered it and default values too low.

All other aspect is OK. You can choose subtitles in property (see context menu).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using Mac OS 10.6.6.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What should I do, now? Find a way to burn the subtitles onto an AVI and then convert that to MP4? I've tried nearly everything I can think of.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Go to MPayer HQ http://www.mplayerhq.hu -> Related Project. Search for Mencoder frontend. I am see at least two, for example: ffmpegX http://homepage.mac.com/major4/. If any frontend do not support subtitles - you always can use Mencoder for OSX with appropriable command line. See example in internet, command line is not too hard, you just copy command line from some forum and replace video filename and track numbers.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's not just a front end I need. What I need to do is convert an MKV with subtitles to an MP4 with subtitles that Video.app on the iPad can play, so that I can view the video with subtitles on my television.

Aimersoft wrote to me and said that they do not support "external subtitles".

So what I need is a recipe to take the MKV with subtitles and convert it perhaps to AVI with burned in permanent subtitles, that I could then get Aimersoft to convert to MP4 which my iPad needs.

But I cannot find a way to do this on Mac OS 10.6.6.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    avidemux. But it's not that simple, you must demux the subs from the mkv with mkvtoolnix In avidemux add a subtitle filter and load the sub, choose video compression like h264 and save as a new mp4.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Evertype View Post
    It's not just a front end I need. What I need to do is convert an MKV with subtitles to an MP4 with subtitles that Video.app on the iPad can play, so that I can view the video with subtitles on my television.
    Try TRY before complains. PSP not supported external subtitles too and i am convert anime from .mkv with mencoder a lot.
    It is rather inconvenient method, but this method WORK. Try frontend for mencoder. If no luck - try google for "mencoder avi mp4 ipad hardsub with subtitles" or something similar. Find command line and use it. I am not have Mac or iPad and can not check it, but this approach is right.
    Quote Quote