VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a walmart security video that plays on media player with a sn40 codex installed, but need it in a standard format. It has the video of an accident that I need to have my car repaired can anyone help?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    a - what's a "standard" format? avi mpg mp4 divx mov etc??

b - most "security" video is in custom formats on the systems. it can be exported in decrypted format only on the original machine with the admin security code password using their software. if you have encrypted video like all the other blokes before you, just give up.

c - your insurance company would be the one to take care of it.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. actaully it plays on media player with the SN40 codex, problem is that I need it in any of the standard formats of avi, mp4, etc.. so that it will play without the special codex (sn40). Anyone know how? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    avidemux, mediacoder, xmediarecode, handbrake, xvid4psp, ripbot264, convertxtodvd, or any of the other dozens/hundreds of tools listed on this site.... did you try anything before posting?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. I found a partial answer for my question. I used snag-it (it's been sitting on the shelf for 7 years) to capture a region in video as a standard avi file. it worked, but the file is about 93 megs and will play on darn near anything. Truly, a good reason to hold on to that old software......
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The SN40 codec is now natively supported by Linux and Windows versions of ffmpeg and mplayer (link is doa)

Use WinFF

1: Load the file.
    2: Convert to pm4.
    3: Preset, mp4, full screen.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Iv had to convert 40 or 50 of these over the past year. I simply open the .avi file in a HEX Editor. Around the top of the file you will see "SN40" without the quotes. I replace the "SN40" with "H263". Make sure its H263, H264 will not work.

After that, save the file with the hex editor. and close. Now the file should play just fine in VLC. I am also able to convert to dvd with convertXtodvd.

Plus a H263 is a lot easier to find help and codecs for then a SN40.

I read somewhere that the walmart dvr's use H263, and simply renamed the codec to SN40 for whatever reason.

Anyways, hope it helps.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Gang,

I realize this Thread is old and what I may post is even irrelevant at this stage, but I found another method to convert Verint Codec Based Walmart video's somewhat easily.

I wanted to pass this on to other Technicians who may be in the same boat. Us Computer Tech's need to stick together

I was put into the same scenario: Convert a Verint based .AVI from Walmart for a Law Firm so it can be easily viewed in other media players.

I found that once I installed the included Verint codec installation it worked great in Windows Media Player.

However, even with the codec installed on my local machine, no other Media Players (No Video Converters) would playback or allow me to render into another format.

I toyed with FF Player and roughly 16 other pieces of conversion/playback software with no dice.

I realized this had to do with the Encoding type and even considered Hex Editing the Video Header.

Then it occurred to me: Maybe the Windows Live Movie Maker relies on the same codecs as Media Player (E.g Source from the same library):

I swung over to Major Geeks and got the Windows Live Essentials installer:
    https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_live.html

I did a custom install of Live essentials, installing only the photo viewer / Movie Maker.

I fired up Movie Maker and opened up the Verint Based AVI and to my happiness, I was able to playback and edit.

I then simply saved Video as .mp4. Once completed I tested on a few different Systems (Including a Macbook using Quicktime) and it opened like a champ.

This process worked on both W7 and Windows 10. I see no overt reason why it would not work on XP or 8.

To Recap:
    Install the Verint Video Codec installer first. In my case it was on the same disk I was provided with the movie (Unfortunately I do not have a link or way to upload).
    Download the Windows Live Essentials pack from here (Known safe source): https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_live.html
    Do a Custom install of Windows Live essentials selecting only Photo Viewer/Movie Maker.
    Fire up Movie Maker. Open or drag movie into Movie Maker.
    Select File > Save Video as.
    Test Playback of new file and copy where it needs to go.

I sincerely hope this method helps someone out in the Future.

Best Regards,

Uno
    Quote Quote  
  9. 2022 update: Walmart security still uses the same encoding - at least in Oklahoma - and the movie maker solution didn't work. I downloaded Super Hex Editor from microsoft store (free) and did the hex edit SN40 to H263. Worked perfect. I found I had to change one character at a time - change S to H, then save; change N to 2, then save, etc. Just awesome!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    2023 UPDATE: this still works with walmart security cameras. i installed the codec program they provided but still could not open the files with a standard player. i used a free hex editor on the avi file, there were 2 spots at the very top of the file that said SN40 i changed those to say H263 and saved. i can now open the file in vlc. the aspect ratio was very wide but there is a setting in vlc to change the aspect ratio.
    thank you for those above that had this suggestion.
    Last edited by dataforge; 3rd Mar 2023 at 15:41.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by dataforge View Post
    2023 UPDATE: this still works with walmart security cameras. i installed the codec program the provided but still could not open the files with a standard player. i used a free hex editor on the avi file, there were 2 spots at the very top of the file that said SN40 i changed those to say H263 and saved. i can now open the file in vlc. the aspect ratio was very wide but there is a setting in vlc to change the aspect ratio.
    thank you for those above that had this suggestion.
    Post such a video here, so we can have a look-
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    sure, here is a file https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1YtYmVaV8C48GWTOh66CK4KNHGJAy2nls?usp=sharing and i also put the provided video player and codec installer they gave us. This is from Verint Video Solutions i guess.
    Last edited by dataforge; 3rd Mar 2023 at 15:42.
    Quote Quote  
  13. ..
    Last edited by Selur; 3rd Mar 2023 at 14:10.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  14. I could search in python for "SN40" and replace it with "H263" as user duckduck suggested, then it worked. But python script found that string two times though, in both cases it was changed.

Make a copy first before you try to run anything!

batch script was used to call that python script:
    Code:
    @echo off
    python  replace_codec.py "AA_FRONT_REGISTERS-R_TO_L_1.8.2023.15.30.0_1.8.2023.16.45.0.avi"  SN40  H263
    echo press any key to exit ... & pause>nul & exit
    I got:
    Code:
    F:\change_codec\w\AA_FRONT_REGISTERS-R_TO_L_1.8.2023.15.30.0_1.8.2023.16.45.0.avi
    searching for "SN40" ...
    on position: 112 writting: H263
    searching for "SN40" ...
    on position: 188 writting: H263
    searching for "SN40" ...
    done
    press any key to exit ...
    replace_codec.py was:
    Code:
    import os
    import sys

def replace_string(avi_path, old_string, new_string):
        '''searching whole file and replacing string, if found'''
        print(avi_path)
        old_string_bytes = bytes(old_string, 'utf-8')
        with open(avi_path,'r+b') as f:
            offset = 0
            f.seek(0)
            found = False
            print(f'searching for "{old_string}" ...')
            while (buff := f.read(16)):
                if old_string_bytes in buff:
                    total_offset = offset + buff.index(old_string_bytes)
                    overwrite_bytes(avi_path, total_offset, new_string)
                    print(f'on position: {total_offset} writting: {new_string} ')
                    found = True
                    print(f'searching for "{old_string}" ...')
                offset += 16
            else:
                if not found:
                    print(f'"{old_string}" not found in {avi_path}')
                print('done')
        return found

def overwrite_bytes(avi_path, offset, string):
        string_bytes = bytes(string, 'utf-8')
        with open(avi_path,'r+b') as f:
            f.seek(offset,0)
            f.write(string_bytes)

def main(avi_path, old_string, new_string):
        replace_string(avi_path, old_string, new_string)

if __name__ == '__main__':
        '''
        usage, use full paths for avi filenale and two arguments, old codec and new codec,
        python filename.avi SN40 H263
        '''
        if len(sys.argv) > 1:
            args = []
            for arg in sys.argv[1:]:
                args.append(arg)
            if len(args) < 2:
                raise ValueError('Three arguments needed. First argument is avi filename, second and third are string codecs')
            for i, arg in enumerate(args[:3]):
                if i==0:
                    if not os.path.isfile(arg) or not arg.lower().endswith('.avi'):
                        raise ValueError(f'First argument must be existing avi filepath. Got: {arg}')       
        main(*args[:3])
    Last edited by _Al_; 3rd Mar 2023 at 15:56.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by dataforge View Post
    sure, here is a file https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1YtYmVaV8C48GWTOh66CK4KNHGJAy2nls?usp=sharing and i also put the provided video player and codec installer they gave us. This is from Verint Video Solutions i guess.
    Load your file in a Hex-Editor.
    Then replace the 2nd SN40 with H263 and save the file.

[Attachment 69557 - Click to enlarge]

Then load the changed file into clever FFmpeg-GUI, answer NO at the missing scan_type message, click main, click encode videostream, click keep resolution, leave all settings as they are, set 1.33 as DAR and click encode.

[Attachment 69558 - Click to enlarge]

You'll find a new mkv into the target folder.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    this is great thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  17. A Windows batch file using ffmpeg to convert to mov without re-encoding:

Code:
    ffmpeg -c:v h263 -i %1 -c:v copy -aspect 4:3 "%~dpn1.mov"
    Drag and drop a source AVI file onto the batch file and the new mov file will be created in the same folder as the source. The fourcc is changed to h263 and the aspect ratio forced to 4:3.
    Quote Quote