VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all,

I was wondering if there was an app out there that could convert an flv file to another video vile, preferably avi or mpg (but wmv is fine too, for example) quickly. Meaning, without having to render the whole file (direct stream copy/convert?)?

Anyone know of such a thing?

Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    FLV Extract

But you still need the right decoders.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try avidemux or winff. I was instructed by bat999 that if the flv is h264 video winff can take a flv and transcode it to mp4 or a few other extensions without reencoding. I'm not sure of its limitations but that would be something to check out. I have used winff successfully to transcode h264 flvs to h264 mp4 without potentially problematic reencoding.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I use FFmpeag to do the reverse of what you are asking, but you can simply alter your command line:

Mine:

ffmpeg.exe" -i "c:\Documents and Settings\blah\SANY0075.mp4" -vcodec copy -acodec copy "c:\Documents and Settings\blah\SANY0075.flv"

It's a simple copy of both audio and video codecs. You just are changing the container in the above example.

Your's would look like:

ffmpeg.exe" -i "c:\Documents and Settings\blah\SANY0075.flv" -vcodec copy -acodec copy "c:\Documents and Settings\blah\SANY0075.mp4"
    Quote Quote  
  5. If you want it to be mpg (mpeg 2) it will need to be transcoded and a simple copy codec won't do the trick.
    Quote Quote