VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The issue is when the camera moves, straight lines that are at an angle
    have a tendancy to break up. I have tried a number of settings within the camera but nothing seems to change the results. I have uploaded a captured still of the video that displays the issue I'm discussing. I have put arrows in the image that indicates the areas of concern.
    I appreciate any help you can give!!!

http://www.midnitesolar.com/images/videoProb/videoProb.php
    Quote Quote  
  2. Looks like you shot interlaced, and the software you are using is using a low quality deinterlace method
    Quote Quote  
  3. I agree, you need to shoot without interlace. Also put the damn thing on a tripod.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have went through the camcorder manual page by page and did not see any settings for deinterlace. I did find that my video editing software had deinterlace set to Blend Fields which I have now set to None. With that said, I shot more video (it is on a tripod) and viewed the MTS file in Windows Media Player directly to eliminate the editor completely. The issue has nothing to do with the editor. I have posted another photo that has been enlarged slightly so that the problem is more apparent. I have the camcorder set to 60 fps, FXP (best quality), and img stablization off. I really appreciate your comments!!!

http://www.midnitesolar.com/images/videoProb/videoProb.php
    Quote Quote  
  5. the camera doesn't do the deinterlacing, the software used to view it does

the jaggies are aliasing from shooting interlaced and deinterlacing with a low quality algorithm - when you're taking a screenshot, you're viewing a deinterlaced image, otherwise you would see scan lines during motion

on win7, wmp applies deinterlacing automatically, but the quality isn't the greatest. Low quality algorithms will leave aliasing artifacts (deinterlacing artifacts) such as in your screenshots. High quality algorithms interpret data between fields and have antiaaliasing and other post processing (but are very slow to process, and cannot be used in real time)

the real issue is that you're shooting interlaced. Your camera doesn't have a 60p setting; it only shoots 60i (the "i" stands for interlaced, as in 60 fields per second, not frames per second)

the only way you can view interlaced content properly, is on a CRT display. If you're viewing on a progressive display, part of the quality will depend on the quality of deinterlacing applied

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlaced_video
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 2nd Feb 2011 at 17:27.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, it sounds like the issue is with the VIXIA HF10 camcorder, what is the solution if I can't turn interlacing off in the camera, a better camera? I'm new to this so I appreciate your advice.
    Quote Quote  
  7. What are you trying to do with this? just watch it ? or edit it? or something else?

Traditionally, most consumer level camcoders record interlaced only , although a few panasonics have a 1080p60 mode and a few canon's have a 1080p24 (native) mode now. Native progressive used to be strictly limited to prosumer and up camcorders

A few record hard telecined (24p in 60i) - but this requires an inverse telecine (IVTC) through software. I think the HF10 does this. Canon calls it 24pF mode IIRC
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most of it is for the net, taken into Adobe Media Encoder, then imported into a Flash movie but on rare occations put on a dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Adobe is well known for it's low quality deinterlace, and cannot IVTC properly (unless you use after effects). It's interlaced resizing is even worse (for DVD). This topic has been addressed here and on many other forums if you search. To be fair, Adobe has slightly improved it in CS5, but the quality is still very poor.

If you want jaggy free quality , high quality deinterlacing, try QTGMC using avisynth . But there is a bit of a learning curve to use avisynth

Shooting native progressive (with a different camera) would eliminate the need for all these other steps with deinterlacing or IVTC, but shooting 24pN has a host of other issues and shooting technique challenges.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks I appreciate your info and wish maybe that I hadn't purchased this camera.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Shoot in 30p mode. Motion won't be silky smooth but your interlacing problems will be gone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rruth View Post
    Thanks I appreciate your info and wish maybe that I hadn't purchased this camera.
    Everything is a tradeoff.

60i and 60p take 60 motion samples per second. This is needed for controlling the jerkiness of hand held video.

Broadcast television 1080i and 720p use 60 motion samples per second (59.94 or 50 actually) to maintain motion smoothness for live programming (news, sports, reality).

Shooting video at half motion samples (30p) or film rate (24p) requires professional shooting technique and equipment (at least a tripod). Most consumers prefer hand held. That is why consumer camcorders default to 60i.

The problem with 60i is deinterlace is required for progressive display. Deinterlace can be done well or poorly. Most progressive DVD players and HDTV sets do a reasonable deinterlace in hardware. Good software computer video players (e.g. MPCHC, VLC, PowerDVD, etc) will deinterlace real time with acceptable quality for progressive display. They do better with display card DXVA hardware deinterlace support.

So wouldn't 60p be the holy grail for consumer camcorders? Eventually yes but currently 1280x720 is the maximum 60p resolution supported by broadcast and Blu-Ray. Also extending resolution from 1280x720 to 1920x1080 is very expensive for both camera sensor hardware and flash RAM. 60p needs 35 Mb/s or better for h.264 or compression artifacts defeat resolution gains.

Eventually these problems will be resolved and 60p at 1920x1080 will be practical, supported and affordable. If your current workflow demands 1920x1080p (with compression artifacts) then the Panasonic HDC-SDT750 at top quality setting is a good first step. Be aware most distribution will require a lossy recode.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote