VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all, Just got this wonderful machine in the mail last night and all seems to be well , the picture is fantastic, but the display is dead and the stop button doesn't seem to work either! Play, eject, rewind and FF work just fine. Has anyone seen this before? I am guessing it was damaged in shipping as the seller has pictures of the unit with the display working on his auction listing. Anyone out there who can help me? thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No remote?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Nope. I don't have one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'll ask my dad if my old MX-100 is really dead(as he says it is)....if so I'll have him send you the remote.
    Quote Quote  
  5. wow that is awesome! Thank you hech! I would be glad to pay for shipping. So do you think mine is messed up?? Going to be expensive to repair? Possible that something on it isn't turned on right?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I haven't seen my Aiwa for years. I didn't like the play/stop button setup all that much as I recall.....it reminds me of my old backup Magnavox in my basement...that stop button setup is also DEAD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Oh and as I recall....there was a button(probably on the remote) that turned off most of the display.....I think. I get that Aiwa and my old Sony confused a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I don't care too much about stuff like that as long as the picture is good. I just want to know if I have a broken unit on my hands here or am I overlooking something as I am brand new to this machine and am not , in fact, a very tech savy person.
    Quote Quote  
  9. That is great news , about the button the remote to turn off the display , if it is accurate. Problem is , the seller had a picture on his auction of the unit with the display working. He also said all the buttons worked for him. The machine doesn't seem run into the ground at all. It's in nice shape. I can't imagine there would be damage like this , but as I said , no display & dead buttons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    As long as the picture is good.....that is half of the battle. I also highly doubt you will find someone to work on it....and doubt it is even worth looking for someone to work on it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. well that's what you say, but I just put X amount of dollars into it expecting it to function. I have the manual here - the good news is that it seems like I can control everything from the remote. Bad news, there doesn't appear to be any kind of button on the remote that would control the front display.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well I bought my Aiwa along with my Philips DVD Recorder....recorded all of my PAL tapes to DVD so I only had to play the PAL stuff in the expensive VCR ONCE. My dad is the one that killed the Aiwa treating it as if it were an ordinary, everyday VCR.
    If the seller won't take it back....that still doesn't change the fact that you most likely won't find a VCR repair person...and REALLY won't find one willing to tackle a converting VCR.
    Quote Quote  
  13. well I'm hoping that I am in the right place to talk to a guy who knows the technical side of this stuff and can tell me about my situation. I would love to keep this VCR - I had a hell of a time getting it from UPS and sending it right back really breaks my heart. I just tested the record function and it works so I am thinking the whole unit must be working , but there was damage in shipping (kills me to say that , I hate UPS so much) and for whatever reason there is a problem with the front and the buttons/display don't work. I just don't want to keep it and then 6 months down the road it is dead. So if this problem is the beginning of the end for this machine and someone here has been down that road before , please chime in!
    Quote Quote  
  14. PS for the record, it is an HV-MX100u.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes...it was available with and without the "HV" designation....and the "U" designation. Some had two SCARTs(like a normal European VCR) and some came without the European style cable TV inputs and outputs(the ones that look like American satellite connections). Crutchfield sold two of the versions at one time....for the same price.
    You can make this guy an offer for his remote:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Aiwa-RC-7VR23-Remote-control-HV-MX100U-NTSC-PAL-VCR-/190496112779?...item2c5a74008b
    Quote Quote  
  16. Hi folks, an update here. I got a remote and it does not work with the unit at all. So since the display doesn't work I guess the remote sensor doesn't work either ?? Or is this remote a dud? Someone help me !
    Quote Quote