VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, apologies for putting this here, if I shouldn't have, but I'm not sure if there is a correct place to put it. Anyway I'm finding it very frustrating.
    I have a sat box with two scart slots, one for tv and one for vcr.
    I have a tv with two scart slot.
    and I have a dvd recorder with two scart slots.
    My problem before i go any further is that the only i can see programs on the tv is if i have it on the AV button. Basically what I can't do is watch one program on tv, while recording another through the recorder.
    Sorry, if not making myself clear.
    I can record what I'm watching. but if i change the button on the sat remote, then the recorder will record that station. if i change the channel button on the recorder remote, it doesn't change the station i'm looking at.

This is how i have the 3 connected up through instructions from dvd recorder manual
    1. scart going from sat reciever slot labelled tv to scart slot on back of tv.
    2.scart going from other sat receiver slot, labelled vcr to scart slot on back of recorder.
    3. scart going from other scart receiver slot on back of recorder to other scart reciever slot on back of tv.

other slots
    1. back of tv-slot for arial.
    2. back of sat reciever-2 slots, 1 marked "ant" short for antennae obviously, and the other marked tv/vcr.
    3. back of dvd recorder -2 slots, i marked aerial, and the other marked rf out.
    Now i see that I don't need anything in any of these slots if i the tv turned to the av button.
    But if i place the cable in the back of the arial slot on the tv, to the tv/vcr slot on the back of the reciever, and turn the tv to any button besides AV, i just get snow.
    Do i also a second cable going from the "ant" slot on the back of the sat receiver to the rf out on the back of the dvd recorder.

hope I haven't made it too complicated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok.

The scarts on the recorder will be one for input and one for output. So you connect the output one to the tv and the input one to the sat box.

The second scart from the sat box in to the tv as you have it. The problem is that both scarts will output the same signal. The signal can not be split for multi-channel viewing/recording.

The viewing source comes from the sat box in both cases. The viewing control must be for the sat box but only a Sky+ box has dual inputs to be able to watch/record more than one channel.

But if you still have a analogue service you can connect an aerial cable direct to the tv and tune the tv accordingly.

What you are actually attempting to do is what one could do in the old days of VCRs which were just connected with aerial cables. The VCR had a pass-through which did allow record one/watch another. Scart cables and dvd recorders do not have that ability.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks very much. After about 3 or 4 hours trying this and that, I finally gave up and went down to the guy who installed it for me. He explained as you just have, that you need the sky digital box to do what i was trying to do. I have the free to air stuff.
    Thank's for responding.
    M
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So you have a 'free-view' box and an external aerial ?

If so, a solution is to get another box and aerial. Or, what until you upgrade your tv. Most these days come with 'free-view' so then all you would need is another aerial.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank you
    Quote Quote