VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a PMP which says that "Display: 4.3" 480 x 272 TFT WQVGA, Widescreen, 16m Colors". It also says that it will support "AVI: Resolution up to 1280x720, RM:1280x720, 30 F/S" If I want to make a video that can make full use of the screen. Deos it mean that I can specify up to 1280X720 but not smaller than 480X272 as the resolution in the software that builds the video ? I think I need some basic understanding on the relationship between the screen resolution and the actual video resolution used in encoding the video. Can anyone help ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. If the resolution of the screen is 480 x 272, then any video with a higher resolution will be downscaled to fit the screen.

If you plan to make videos exclusively for use with this player, then I would encode them at 480x272, anything higher is a waste of storage space.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Typically, devices scale, up or down, from the source resolution to the display resolution.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks,
    Is 480x272 considered as HD for a 4.3" device ? I am just wondering what resolution should the device has in order to get a true HD video quality. This is for my education when I buy my next PMP.
    Quote Quote  
  5. At 4.3 inches 480 x 272 is more than adequate, and done correctly videos should look great.

Not so long ago we were all watching VCDs with a resolution of 352x240 on large screen TVs.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Will look adequate because of viewing distance and angle but is not HD or even DVD resolution.

If your 4.3" display was HD resolution, you would need to view inside 8 inches to see a difference vs SD.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote