VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. No matter which editing software I try to use, when rendering a clip longer than 1minute my computer crashes. I thought it was lack of RAM when I was at 4GB, and after adding 4 more; it still happens.

Windows Vista, 64-bit
    AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor 2.50 GHz
    8 GB RAM
    500GB Primary HDD(118 free), 2TB Secondary internal HDD(1.30 free)

Is there anything else I can share about my computer to help you help me?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You added two more sticks of RAM. Did you try it with just the two new sticks? Bad RAM could cause your problem. There are also RAM testing programs like Memtest 86, but substitution is easier.

Check your CPU temperatures. HW Monitor can do that. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html Encoding does increase CPU temps significantly. If it is an overheat problem, check your fans for operation, air filters and CPU cooler for dust and lint.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Okay, I'm going to look into all of these options. I actually thought it was an over-heating issue because one of my fans wasn't working, so I replaced the ENTIRE case for one with MANY fans, haha, failed to mention that too... this has been driving me crazy for a while.

Thank you redwudz! Glad to be here!
    Quote Quote  
  4. HW Monitor test results(is this image large enough to view?):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp.jpg
Views:	1647
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	5384
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TMPIN2: 87 deg. C (188 deg. F) - something's getting hot there.

The 65 deg. C is a bit warm, but likely not out of line for an AMD phenom.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank you classfour!
    So uh... anyone know what TMPIN2 is and how I cool it down?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you by any chance over-clocking ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TMPIN2 is probably the NB chipset....HWmonitor reads it hot but I wouldn't worry about it.....my concern is those core temps are a bit high...IMHO if you're overclocking that AMD cpu those temps are a bit high....Just my 2 cents!

Here's a pic of my HWmonitor reading & my AMD Propus cpu is overclocked:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HWmonitor_AMD_PC.jpg
Views:	1980
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	5386  

Last edited by budz; 30th Jan 2011 at 17:50.
    Quote Quote  
  9. No I don't believe I am over-clocking.

Does anyone know... according to my computers specs, should my system even be able to render hd video?
    I have a project with a deadline to finish and I'm stressing about it, any help would be great. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I tried substituting my RAM sticks, using only the new ones but that didn't work out so great. Once it didn't reboot, then when trying only 1 2gb stick it gave me some blue screen error page (not the famous BOD, a different one talking about memory dump). I got scared and didn't keep trying. Memtest 86 doesn't work on Vista 64bit...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AFAIK a qc 2.5 should be able to render HD video. Obviously, the slower the cpu, the longer it will take.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm thinking a new heatsink fan. I just want some extra opinions first, I don't want to keep buying new parts just guessing what the solution might be...

Thanks for all the help so far everybody
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One final thought from me for tonight.

Ask 'Sandra' to tell you what speed your cpu is actually rated and what it is runnibg at :-

http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/?d=&f=home&l=en&a=
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If those temp readings are at idle, that's pretty warm & when you start encoding it's going to jump higher.

My quad 3.0ghz cpu runs way cooler than that, 23c-26c at idle.

I'd also suggest a better after market CPU cooler.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Thanks Noahtuck... heatsink seems to be the consensus! I'll let y'all know how it goes after I get a new one.

I'm looking at the
    Tuniq Tower 120 Universal CPU Cooler 120mm Cooling Fan and Fan Controller/Heatsink

Any other suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by David Bruno View Post
    I tried substituting my RAM sticks, using only the new ones but that didn't work out so great. Once it didn't reboot, then when trying only 1 2gb stick it gave me some blue screen error page (not the famous BOD, a different one talking about memory dump). I got scared and didn't keep trying. Memtest 86 doesn't work on Vista 64bit...
    1) Try one stick at a time. A single bad stick *can* cause failure to reboot, throw away any that do after trying another slot.
    2) Do you have a high temp shutdown option in BIOS? The American Megatrends BIOS on my BioStar mobo has options for 60 C on up to 100 C. Check if you have it and whether it's enabled.

I just went through a similar experience. I was thinking bad RAM, but the Windows Memory Diagnostic boot disc I used showed no errors after hours of running (note: that program is worthless). Running one stick at a time for hours made me none the wiser. I could run BDRB all night and it would *usually* complete without the computer crashing. The error messages were Stop 0xA, which can indicate bad hardware, device drivers or memory. And I wasted a lot of time pursuing those possibilities.

In the end, I ran MemTest86 and it found a single error at a high memory address on one stick. I trashed that one and replaced it. Running a week now with no problems whatsoever. Problems with bad RAM can have you pulling out your hair.

Good luck.

[EDIT] You can use an Ubuntu live CD to test your memory, or you can use the one in Vista:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/test-your-computers-memory-using-windows-...agnostic-tool/
    Last edited by fritzi93; 30th Jan 2011 at 19:44.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I suspicioned Memtest wouldn't work for a 64bit OS. They may have another one that would. But you are getting some strange results from your RAM substitution. It should have worked with either set of RAM modules.

Are those temps idle temps, or full load with all cores at 100% as during an encode? If idle, that's way too hot. For full load, still hotter than I would like to see. I don't like anything above about 55C most times and lower is better. Many CPUs and motherboards will go into underclock or full shutdown at about 70C. If that's idle temps, check your CPU cooler for dust. If you have a properly installed CPU cooler with a good brand of thermal compound, there may be a problem. Your case temps don't seem that high, so you probably have enough air moving through there.

I would also ignore the TMPIN2 temps. With AMD, not sure that's a valid reading. Even my North Bridge chip comes nowhere near that temp. Your GPU (Video card) may show temps in the 50 - 55C range. About average for them. Your hard drives are running fairly cool, another indication that your case cooling is working correctly.

And you shouldn't have that much of a problem rendering HD video. If you want to test your system with a H.264 test encode, try this one and monitor your temps as you run it: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/286517-HD-x264-CPU-benchmark-compare-different-CPUs...-the-same-file? It will run all cores at 100% for a few minutes. If it crashes with errors, back to suspecting RAM problems. If overtemp, then look into improved CPU cooling.

But your RAM testing results would have me a bit concerned. Not sure why you would be getting a error.

EDIT: Just read the other posts. If you plan to spend over $60US for a cooler, you might look into a Corsair D50 liquid cooling system. Only a few dollars more and it works very well. I run one on my six core AMD: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/270162-AMD-six-core-CPU-and-Corsair-H50-water-cooling-setup?
    Last edited by redwudz; 30th Jan 2011 at 21:31.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    EDIT: Just read the other posts. If you plan to spend over $60US for a cooler, you might look into a Corsair D50 liquid cooling system. Only a few dollars more and it works very well. I run one on my six core AMD: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/270162-AMD-six-core-CPU-and-Corsair-H50-water-cooling-setup?
    Yep, sweet setup for CPU cooling, absolutely worth the money!!
    Here is mine when i built my quad last summer.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/323172-Cooling-Solutions-*Solved-updated*-Problems-...=1#post2005339
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try the simplest things first ... enter bios and under clock the memory and see if the system can stand up to video conversion jobs.

Mine was similar but the fault turned out to be "auto" memory timing ... anything heavy in video and the system would reboot.

Q: Is that 8600 onboard or addon gpu ?

How's the PSU side ... an underpowered psu can lead to similar problems as more power is consumed during heavy application usage.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Re-check the RAM with all drives disconnected. There was definitely some problem there, which may or may not be related to the main issue.

Your CPU is a bit hot, if those temps were not "under load" then shut it down NOW and check the heat-sink for dust, proper mount and thermal paste.

To determine if there actually is anything at 188 degrees, use a digital probe in various areas of the case. It will either be obvious or a false reading. My digital probe is my right index finger.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Thank you all.
    I got a new heatsink/fan and my problem is solved. That core temp that was around 55c, is not down to about 30c and I was able to render some video successfully.

Cheers!
    Quote Quote