VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    There is a certain video site from which I am unable to download the streaming video as per usual using the Firefox download "Ant" addon (it doesn't detect a video to download) or any other streaming media download utility I have tried. I tried Streaming Transport as recommended in the sticky above, but the Help option is defunct, and I am unable to get a download to work in it. I have also tried to screen-capture it using Camtasia Recorder, but the result is so stuttery as to be barely watchable even at 10fps Camtasia setting (30fps setting makes a completely unwatchable stuttery video). I don't know if it's all right to mention the site name, so I won't until someone can tell me it's OK with this forum (it's a documentary site).

I have Firefox addon called Firebug which supposedly enables me to DL any video, but I see no flash video listed in it for this video's page. I can see the html for the site with this addon, though, if this helps. I have a jpg screenshot of it. The streaming media IS Flash in any case because I see the right-click "About Flash Player" context menu item for the video. The site has pay-to-download videos and also free ones to watch streaming. The one I want is free but nothing happens when I click their download button even in IE as they require.

Any help?

Thanks.
    Last edited by shokan22; 29th Jan 2011 at 16:36.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by shokan22 View Post
    Any help?

Thanks.
    What's the question?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    how can I download the video/
    Quote Quote  
  4. post the url
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by shokan22 View Post
    how can I download the video/
    Pay the $3.99
    http://www.factualtv.com/support
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Stream Transport first played an ad, then seemed to be hung up. But it eventually saw the video and I was able to download it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	st.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	5362

I pasted your URL into the address bar at the top and pressed Start. I pressed the play button in the web pate and waited for the URL to appear in the bottom window, highlighted it, and pressed Download.
    Last edited by jagabo; 29th Jan 2011 at 18:03.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, OK, the video and SteamTransport froze at first (which threw me off the first time earlier today), but it has stated dl'ing just now. Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, why does only SteamTransport work for this type of video?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Because Adobe threatens to sue companies in countries they can reach.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Let me rephrase that, then. What technical aspect is allowing Steam Transport to download this, but not using other streaming media downloaders such as the Ant Firefox addon or the many others?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Adobe spends a lot of time working on ways to make it difficult for people to download flash videos. Videos like the one above are streamed via an encrypted RTMP mechanism -- RMTPE. Whether it's hard or not to bypass that mechanism they can wield the DMCA over the heads of anyone in the USA who tries to distribute a product that does.
    Quote Quote