VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi!

Is there anyone who knows how to convert/watch .trp files? (recorded from my Viasat HD box)

/Gee
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Case View Post
    no and no
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not even if you rename the file to .ts or .mp4?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Nope...I have a 50 mb file if you feel like testing...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by geefourman View Post
    Is there anyone who knows how to convert/watch .trp files? (recorded from my Viasat HD box)
    the .trp I know, is a satellite MPEG-TransportStream wrapper.
    VLC can ususally play it
    the FFmpeg Library (command line) can access to its contents (ususally too)

PS: a trp is a wrapper, it gives no information about its contents (usually AVC or AVCHD)
    bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Herve View Post
    Originally Posted by geefourman View Post
    the .trp I know, is a satellite MPEG-TransportStream wrapper.
    VLC can ususally play it
    the FFmpeg Library (command line) can access to its contents (ususally too)

PS: a trp is a wrapper, it gives no information about its contents (usually AVC or AVCHD)
    bye
    VLC does not play it...Tried AVCHD converter but file is not supported...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The problem with the trp-files is that they usually do not contain PMT-sections which most player software use to obtain the information about the different streams like video, audio and other streams contained in this transport stream recording.

If you feed this file as input file to TsRemux and name the output file with a ".ts" file extension then the remuxed file usually can be played by most video players. If your trp file contains a MPEG2 video stream, then you can edit this file using ProjectX.

Good luck

Schmendrick
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Schmendrick View Post
    The problem with the trp-files is that they usually do not contain PMT-sections which most player software use to obtain the information about the different streams like video, audio and other streams contained in this transport stream recording.

If you feed this file as input file to TsRemux and name the output file with a ".ts" file extension then the remuxed file usually can be played by most video players. If your trp file contains a MPEG2 video stream, then you can edit this file using ProjectX.

Good luck

Schmendrick
    This is the MAC section!...therefore I need MAC software
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well ProjectX is a Java-JAR-Software that to my knowledge also should run on a MAC-system and if no MAC-software is available for your problem what choice do you have?

Following a download-link for ProjectX for Mac at cnet_dot_com:
    http://download.cnet.com/ProjectX/3000-2065_4-52791.html

I just found out that the link above does not lead to a downloadable file, but the following link even give you detailed description how to build an "OS X"-package, but in german language.

Nevertheless there are two Mac OS X percompiled versions available for download:
    http://web.me.com/raubvogel/ProjectX/Download.html

The programme itself is only using english language in its GUI.

I was just trying to give a helpful hint for a solution, but if the only solution would be to use a MS-Windows-based software then probably it is may be better to give up on the problem rather than to be forced to use a MS-Windows-system to solve the problem.

Update:

Even for TsRemux there is a port to obtain a version which is able to run on Linux and Mac OS X systems sind TsRemux is .NET based the open source version of .NET : "Mono" can be used to produce and let run a Linux/Mac OS X-version of TsRemux.

This is all describe on the following link:
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=141855&highlight=TsRemux+Mac
    Last edited by Schmendrick; 3rd Feb 2011 at 11:13.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks!

Project X can't read the .trp file As for TsRemux, I don't understand anything...

/Gee
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    .NET for Windows and Mono for Unix systems is a programming framework system containing most of the GUI interface code most programs require so that the compiled and linked code can be reduced to the actual specific program code. So if you want to use a program which is produced with a .NET/Mono dependent programming language first you need to install this .NET/Mono environment on your PC/Mac. The forum thread above explains where to obtain Mono, how to install it, where to obtain TsRemunix.exe and how to launch this program.

TsRemux remuxes and cures incomplete ts-stream files.

I have a Clarketech satellite DVB-S2-receiver with which MPEG2- and AVC/H.264-transmission (mostly HDTV) can be recorded in the .trp format. For this receiver someone even has written a program which is able to produce a .trp-video structure from a MPEG2/AC3- or MPEG2/MPEGAudio-ts-file which is playable using the satellite receiver from a USB-stick or USB-hard drive.

AVC/H.264-ts-files cannot be properly converted into .trp structures from which only the video stream is playing but not the audio stream in it so that this conversion is useless.

Schmendrick

Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if you can post your file i'll try and help
    what OS are you on? 10.5 or 10.6 (that has a bearing on which computer i mess about on!)
    pm me if you need to
    jamie
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm on 10.6.6...Here is a 19 second recording to mess around with...

Thanks!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This sample is unusable and does not contain usable video and audio streams. So possibly your recording system is scrambling the recording to prevent you to use it besides replay it from its original equipment.

TsRemux, ProjectX and also MediaInfo are not able to detect anything usable within it.

Sorry I can't help you.

Schmendrick
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i'm agreeing with Schmendrick.
    The info i've managed to find about this is that ENCRYPTED files won't play on any of the normal routes because the header information is in a strange place/format.
    that means only decoders with the right "secret sauce" can play them back.
    in my case it's a Sky box!
    ffmpeg and projectX both failed on your trp file. They both succeed on other (non encrypted) trp files i've tried.
    sorry dude.
    j
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Viasat especially in HD is always encrypted. They use Videoguard.
    The OP should know that!!!

And as mentioned earlier, trp is NOT trp.

There are many flavours of that format around, and you cannot edit them like it were only format, kinda similar to avi or mkv.

TRP is a TS but has various headers which most tools cannot deal with.

I wonder who gave you "geefourman" that recordning and who made it...
    I assume that sample is still ENCRYPTED.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Schmendrick View Post

I have a Clarketech satellite DVB-S2-receiver with which MPEG2- and AVC/H.264-transmission (mostly HDTV) can be recorded in the .trp format.

Schmendrick,
    me too i have a C-Tech STB that produces .trp files: can you say me wich program do you use for SD and HD editing/conversion?

many thanks and sorry if the question is a little bit OT in this topic
    Quote Quote  
  19. I have a similar problem to the original poster. My decoder is an Opticum 9600 HD TS Prima, based on the STi chip. It produces .trp files that no player on the Mac can read. Also, HandBrake, MPEG Streamclip and other converted do not read this type of file. They can't even be read by TsRemux on Windows XP.

The only converter that could read these files was iSkysoft Video Converter for Mac, that also allows merging segments and some editing. It is not as "clean" and quick as if you could just demux/remux the file with TsRemux. Conversion to MP4 takes a lot of time and resources. Results are usually good.

Next time I'll purchase a decoder, I will be sure it will produce files that any computer can read. I like the video quality of this chip, but what if you cannot play your recording?

Paolo
    Quote Quote  
  20. Do you mean the .trp files, which are created by some HD receivers?
    Download a trp converter software.

It can convert .trp files to many common formats, like avi, mp4, ts, etc. I have used it for a long time, it works well.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I use handbrake. Just an FYI, it's free and and works!
    Quote Quote