VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I'm downloading some videos off the net with streamtransport. It does a great job and I get the file I want. However it is always in flv format.

I have the first generation wdtv media player and it won't recognize the original flv file that was downloaded. In the text of the downloaded file it clearly states is a h264 mp4 file that the website I got it from was transcoding. What I want to do is get back to the original mp4 file in as few as steps as possible. Quality isn't top of mind as these are sd 4:3 videos but I would like to avoid reencoding if possible (to save time).

I have gone the route of flvextractor to get a .264 file and a .aac file. Then I used mp4muxer to get a new mp4 file. That does work on the wdtv and my ps3 but strangely not my xbox 360 (no biggie just a surprise I thought it played h264 - maybe it didn't like the profile mp4muxer used).

Basically I want one of two features in a program:

1- Download directly to a working mp4 file with streamtransport initially if possible (for a usable h264 mp4 file right off the bat with no tweaking needed).

2 - a batch mode in flvextractor and mp4 muxer so I can set up a list of files to be first demuxed then a new set in mp4muxer to remux into individual mp4 flies to match the originals - ie 1 episode in 1 episode out not combined in anyway.

Is this possible with streamtransport or any flv extraction program? Or am I just going to have to bite the bullet and demux and remux each individual video?

This would be actually a lot more convinient and faster than making actual dvds as I did my last session with streamtransport (they came out just fine but a lot more work and expense with using lots of discs).

Your suggestions are welcome. I just wanted to show that I did do some leg work before I posted on the forum. Suggestions for tweaking the process are welcome.

------

I know I could use something like format factory to get mp4s but I want to avoid reencoding if it all possible. I don't want to tie up my computer for long sessions and have possilbe synch issues afterwards (actually format factory is very good but when dealing with flv I've had synch issues before).

Edit - I did try to delete the .flv in the save dialog in streamtransport but it seems to have saved the .flv extension in the download queue anyway.

And I tried renaming the saved .flv to .mp4 but for some reason in Vista Premium 32bit I can't get to the .flv extension in the my computer list - I used to be able to in list mode but I don't know what I'm doing differently when I try to do the right click - rename option.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    If I had flv files that were x264/aac I would use Winff to do the job in one pass.

It would be equivalent to using ffmpeg like this:-
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i foo.flv -vcodec copy -acodec copy foo.mp4
    So I'd choose the Winff options:-
    Convert To... MPEG-4
    Device Preset... MP4 Fullscreen

And in the 'Additional Options' section type in the 'Additional Command Line Parameters' box:-
    Code:
    -vcodec copy -acodec copy
    Other converter programs such as MediaCoder have options to 'Copy' video and audio in the codecs section.

Click image for larger version

Name:	winffffff.png
Views:	997
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	5348
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bat999
    If I had flv files that were x264/aac I would use Winff to do the job in one pass.
    So would this be a multiplexing job and not a reencode?

As long as its simply putting it in a new container thats what I'm looking to do.

Is there a batch mode for these programs? I must admit I've never used winff or mediacoder so I don't have any experience with them.

So long as they simply take a flv with h264 and spit out a mp4 file that the wdtv will read that is what I want. Will it take the flv directly then without demuxing? That would simplify the process and as I mentioned if it has batch processing that it'd be great to set it up and let it run.

Thanks bat999 and i'll give it a try.

Edit - Thanks that worked perfectly!

Its a lot more streamlined and nicer than doing flvextractor and mp4muxer thats for sure. It took the flv directly and after I put in your settings you described it outputted the mp4 in practically no time (45minute 225mb flv file fyi).

I tested it on the ps3 and worked like a charm. I also tested it on the wdtv media player gen 1 and worked perfectly. Again it did not work on the xbox 360 for some strange reason. That is inconsequential as I have two devices that will work with it just fine.

Thanks bat999 that did the trick. Now I'll check out winff's batch capabilities if it has any. That should speed this process up considerably.
    Last edited by yoda313; 29th Jan 2011 at 10:38.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I use to use streamtransport, but have found Replay Video Capture6 is a much better program. Set it,, and forget it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by SeaBird View Post
    I use to use streamtransport, but have found Replay Video Capture6 is a much better program. Set it,, and forget it.

The problem with replay video capture is it re-encodes the video - you get a lower quality version, not the original
    Quote Quote