VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hello, i have a real noob question.

i have dv-avi files from a minidv camcroder which i'd like to burn to a DVD, and would like to have the best possible video quality for the DVD. i don't worry as much about the audio though, and was happy with the it when i burned a DVD on the default AVStoDVD settings.

what are the settings that i should pick in AVStoDVD? do i change them in preferences or in title settings or both or somewhere else? im talking about things like video bitrate and all the other stuff that applies. but please dont just say set video to this bitrate or that bitrate... please mention where in the program i gotta do that cause it looks like there are many places to do it and im confused.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In General, the program picks the best settings based on your input resolution and run-time in hours and minutes.
    Try to limit the source run-time to three hours or less. (two hours is better)

Before you start your project, enter the preferences and choose NTSC or PAL depending on your
    desired result. Save it as default.
    Open your source file. Edit the title, choose the video tab and pick HCenc 2-pass. Encode the project.
    That's all you have to do.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sometimes DV recordings may show some grain, mainly when taken with poor natural light. The effect is even more evident after mpeg2 conversion.

In those cases you can somehow reduce the grain effect by using a high-frequency denoise filter, like HQDN3D. Go to 'Title Edit'/'AviSynth' and toggle on 'HQDN3D'. Use default strength to see if it improves and then adjust it to further improve.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HI Mr_C,
    regarding the mscomctl.ocx included in the no_install package.
    Attempts to register it fail because of the existence of an older version in \windows\system32 (XP SP3)

After unregistering the system version, renaming it, and copying your new version to \widows\systerm32,
    I can now register the new version. Your program seems to work OK on the old version; is the new version
    really necessary ? For example, my old version is 6.1.97.82, while your new version is 6.1.97.86

Perhaps there is an update to a component I haven't installed.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi Dave,

you can safely use the old mscomctl version. That activex contains the classic VB6 controls (like text boxes, combo boxes, options buttons, etc.) that basically have never change in last 10 years.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote