VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys,

I am re-new to the VHS tape. I need your input.

I bought two VCRs off of eBay last week, a Panasonic AG170 and an Aiwa HV-MX100 multisystem unit for my PAL tapes. I was disappointed that the Aiwa only has composite video outs. Would it work to plug the Aiwa into the Panasonic and then run the S video out of that into the TV? Does that seem like it would provide a better picture than running the Aiwa into the TV directly with composite cables? At the moment I am running an Oppo DVD player into my TV with component video and I love it. Of course I am not expecting anything approaching that kind of picture from VHS tapes , but I would like to maximize what I have for optimum viewing enjoyment. I would also like to get a laserdisc player in the mix here at some point. Any help or suggestions would be most helpful!

Turbo
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi.. sorry for the double post. I hope I didn't waste my money on the AG170. I have a JVC HR-A57U and I hope the AG170 can deliver a better picture. I spent about 70 dollars on it, including shipping.

I had another question.. How do I find out what universal remote will work with this set up. The only remote I have is for the Oppo. I looked at universal remotes on Amazon and there is a whole world out there I am not aware of. I would like to find something on the very inexpensive side! I don't have a lot of money to spend and I don't really need a cutting edge remote.
    Quote Quote  
  3. no one? I'm all alone in the world ??
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Maybe your HV-MX100 is old and tired. Mine was awesome. Not as good as my flip-front monster Sony VHS machine....but it had a crystal clear picture for YEARS.
    Quote Quote  
  5. well I hope not. I just purchased it off of eBay and I hope it is here on Monday. Did you feed yours directly into the TV via composite or did you ever think of trying to get an S Video signal out of it via another machine? I dont know if that even makes any sense - I'm starting to guess not as per no one really replying. I just want to get the most bang from my buck. I recently got a huge collection of PAL tapes that I am very excited about.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You don't even have it yet and you are questioning the output quality?
    I believe the MX-100 has been discontinued for quite a while now. It's amazing for what it does(what it was made to do - convert between video formats and record in either format while converting). You'd be wasting your time running it through anything else....it won't be S-VHS quality by doing that.
    Quote Quote