VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm going to be helping to edit some film this weekend for a film I was involved in making. The last film we made; people said that it needed to be deinterlaced as it was very jagged. You can see the film here: http://www.communityfilmproject.org/2010/10/alley-pop/

This time around I want to make sure the film is deinterlaced properly and that it also runs at 24 fps so it looks like a movie. Any tips to keep in mind for conquering these issues?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by CFPJer View Post
    Any tips to keep in mind for conquering these issues?
    Yep, shoot using film cameras and not video cameras. If your current project was also shot using interlaced 29.97fps video cameras then, although it can be deinterlaced, it'll never look like film and can't (properly) be converted to film speed.

Also, your whites are badly blown out.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can use a good deinterlacer to go from 30i to 30p. VirtualDub or AviSynth's Yadif deinterlace is pretty good. AviSynth's QTGMC() is better but very slow. But to get to 24p you'll have to decimate. That will leave you with several little jerks every second. And then YouTube will duplicate frames to get it back to 30p, making it even jerkier. The "film look" has less to do with frame rate than it does with lighting and framing. If you really want 24p you need a camera that shoots 24p.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You can use a good deinterlacer to go from 30i to 30p. VirtualDub or AviSynth's Yadif deinterlace is pretty good. AviSynth's QTGMC() is better but very slow. But to get to 24p you'll have to decimate. That will leave you with several little jerks every second. And then YouTube will duplicate frames to get it back to 30p, making it even jerkier. The "film look" has less to do with frame rate than it does with lighting and framing. If you really want 24p you need a camera that shoots 24p.
    ok thanks I think just going to 30p is fine. We used professional lighting this time around so we will see how it goes.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    And then YouTube will duplicate frames to get it back to 30p, making it even jerkier.
    Just one correction; YouTube keeps 23.976fps and 25fps. Perhaps not other framerates, though. All mine are uploaded at 23.976fps and stay that way after being reencoded by YouTube.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ah! I've seen so many 30 fps youtube videos with a duplicate frame every 5 frames I assumed YouTube was converting 24 fps to 30 fps.
    Quote Quote