VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have just spent the last 5 days converting all my VHS tapes to digital format and stored them on my 2nd hard drive. My goal now is to edit each of the 30 some files and store them on DVD but I do NOT want to just write the video to DVD as is. Instead I want to edit the videos and select portions and build a video file that I would write to DVD. I looked at several software products including Coral video Video studio X3 and Easy Media Creator 10. I do not mind spending money to purchase software but i want to make sure that it is going to do what I want. I would be interested in any recommendations as to what to buy based on what I am trying achieve.

Bostonblackie
    Quote Quote  
  2. It would help to know the format in which the video was stored, in order to recommend the right editing programs for you.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Told you I was new at this. The format is ASF
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bostonblackie View Post
    Told you I was new at this. The format is ASF
    Ouch! Talk about shooting yourself in the foot from the get-go. That's a streaming format; not at all good for editing. You could try cutting with SolveigMM Video Splitter, but who knows if the results will be satisfactory.

Is there any way you can re-capture all that VHS again in DV-AVI format?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have lots of time on my hands since I am out of work so re capturing is not an issue. What type of device do I need to get a DV-AVI format?
    Quote Quote  
  6. So I have this device called a Dazzle DVC 100 that came with EMC 10 that I assume will let me capture the input for the camcorder and saving it in a AVI format. The problem now is that the the video capture product in the EMC 10 begins recording and them just freezes. So next I down loaded WINDV which I understand is a simple video capture program. But that did not work either. kept getting a "can't find DV output pin" message. My question is this is there a software solution that I can get that will convert the DV format on from the camcorder. I am using and old thinkpad t40 as my recording device. the camcorder is a borrowed Sharp viewcam video 8.

Bostonblackie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try Power Director 9. Very good capture and editor software.

For corrections on video, use Virtualdub.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bostonblackie View Post
    So I have this device called a Dazzle DVC 100 that came with EMC 10 that I assume will let me capture the input for the camcorder and saving it in a AVI format. The problem now is that the the video capture product in the EMC 10 begins recording and them just freezes. So next I down loaded WINDV which I understand is a simple video capture program. But that did not work either. kept getting a "can't find DV output pin" message. My question is this is there a software solution that I can get that will convert the DV format on from the camcorder. I am using and old thinkpad t40 as my recording device. the camcorder is a borrowed Sharp viewcam video 8.

Bostonblackie
    No point in converting to DV-AVI if the video codec used at capture is more compressed from the onset. Is your Dazzle DVC 100 a USB device? You would need a firewire interface for DV. I am guessing your Dazzle package captures to mpg.

Mind you, DV-AVI is only one option. It supports frame-accurate editing with reasonable compression, and will likely be easiest to work with most non-linear editing programs. (That's why it was recommended in your case.) However, if your current capture device will produce a high-bitrate MPEG-2 file, there are also editing tools for that format as well (like the Womble MPEG-VCR), although frame-accurate cuts may require a bit of re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Again, I apologies for my ignorance in this area, but we all have to start some where. So I was able to us a product callecd Debut video Capture which provides me with various output options including avi. The Dazzle 100 is connect to the laptop via a USB port. I took Cauptian suggestion and tried Power Director 9. But I keep getting blue screen with a page fault error message. I attribute to my older computer even though I am running Windows 7 and Power Director 9 is claiming to be 64 bit. So I am back to my original question: Is there a simple product that will allow me to cut slices out of the avi files to build a new avi file that can be written to a DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What type of AVI file are you getting from your captures? AVI is just a container name and doesn't tell us anything about the format. Drop one of the files into MediaInfo set at 'Tree view' and it will give a lot of information. You can post a screen shot of that here. If you can open the AVI type file in VirtualDub, you could use it as an editor.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Adding to what redwudz said, there are a wide range of .avi formats; which is why I specified DV-AVI. (There are also choices of uncompressed AVI, or lossless formats like HuffYuv or Lagarith AVI, but all of these will require more disc space than DV-AVI.) If you're using a USB capture device (instead of firewire), it is still likely that you will be getting a streaming video format, like Xvid .avi or something even more compressed.

A cursory web search indicates that the Debut device you described is a webcam capture device, and I am extremely doubtful about the editability of the type of .avi file it creates.

You may want to consider a bundled package like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/462759-REG/ADS_Technologies_API_557_EFS_PYRO_A_V...Link_with.html (I have no firsthand experience with this particular hardware/software combo, so others may want to chime in.)
    Last edited by filmboss80; 29th Jan 2011 at 15:12.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Again thanks for all the advice and assistance. After playing around with VitualDub it appears to be the software that I have been looking for. So now I am recapturing all the 8mm using VirtualDub. On to the next challenge which is that I would expect that a 120 min 8mm tape could fit on to a hard drive with 20 GB of free space. Wrong assumption. So do I need to make change to some parameter on VitualDub or just get a maga HD. Is this a function of something called compression. Does a higher compression ratio mean that I get move video in less space? Here is the info from Mediainfo. I am using the Dazzle 100 with VirtualDub as input. Thanks for all you patients.

Bostonblackie

General

Complete name :
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 58.1 MiB
    Duration : 22s 546ms
    Overall bit rate : 21.6 Mbps

Video

ID : 0
    Format : JPEG
    Codec ID : MJPG
    Duration : 22s 22ms
    Bit rate : 21.1 Mbps
    Width : 640 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:2
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 2.288
    Stream size : 55.3 MiB (95%)

Audio

ID : 1
    Format : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness : Little
    Format settings, Sign : Signed
    Codec ID : 1
    Codec ID/Hint : Microsoft
    Duration : 22s 546ms
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 1 024 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 32.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 2.75 MiB (5%)
    Interleave, duration : 242 ms (7.25 video frames)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Higher compression will allow you to get more video on your drive. But a higher compression codec will also take more computer power to capture and be harder to edit. High compression codecs like Divx have keyframes (Complete frames of video) only every 300 frames or so. Cutting in between them can cause problems. In between just has partial frames. You usually need to cut on a keyframe.

VD does have a 'smart render' feature that can allow you to cut between keyframes and re-encode at that cut point. But if you plan to do extensive editing, or even cutting out commercials, a less compressed format is a much better choice for editing.

Best choice is a larger hard drive so you don't have to make too many quality compromises.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    According to all the specs I've read on the Dazzle DVC 100 device, its sole capture format is MPEG-2, as it is designed specifically for VHS-to-DVD conversions. Although you can convert and export to an easily-editable .avi format with VirtualDub or other software (your MediaInfo display indicates that you did not choose a good codec), your initial captures will be hampered by the dataflow limitations of that crappy Dazzle device.

If you wish to ignore previous advice, it is certainly your choice. But I predict another round of frustrating issues trying to get your footage edited.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I truly appreciate all the respondents comments and suggestions. I gone out and purchased I 500 GB external HD and connected it up to the laptop via a USB port. I also have about 160 GB on my C: drive and VirtualDub will work just fine as the video editing software. But with all the said I gather from filmboss80 comment that using the Dazzle on going to be the best option and that I should use a firewire. And there is the rub. My playback camera is old. It only had two RCA ports and no S video. that is certainly a limiting factor. Maybe the best alternative to to send the tapes out and have them placed in DVD and focus on the editing once they are returned. Thanks for all your assistance.

Bostonblackie
    Quote Quote  
  16. Filmboss80 not to belabor this but your comment that I did not choose a good codec, what would you have recommend from the options that where available in VitualDub? thanks

Bostonblackie
    Quote Quote  
  17. VirtualDub uses VFW codecs. You can install whatever VFW codecs you want and use them in VirtualDub. HuffYUV (lossless), Lagarith (lossless), Cedocida (DV), ffdshow (many different codecs), Xvid/Divx (MPEG 4 part 2), x264vfw (h.264, MPEG 4 part 10), etc.
    Quote Quote