VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a treadmill in my garage that I use about 4 times a week. I am paying 20 bucks a month to rent the box from Time Warner. I picked up a Tivo series 2 from a garage sale for 5 bucks and was hoping I could use it to record programing.

I had the cable guy out and he is saying a subscription is required with Tivo along with a 2.50 cable card from Time Warner.

Bottom line: What is the cheapest way to record shows with a DVR for my treadmill time. I hate paying 20.00 bucks a month to rent the dang box.

Please tell me things in the least technical way possible. Is the Moxi a good way to go? Also I have a regular TV which i guess is SD. Yes?

Thanks for your help...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The cable guy was confusing TiVo models. Series 2 TiVos don't accept a CableCARD. The TiVo Series 3, TiVo Series 4, and TiVo HD models can be used with a cablecard.

Except for the Series2 DirecTV version, series 2 TiVos can record analog cable using their analog tuner or from analog A/V inputs when connected to a satellite receiver, cable box, or ATSC converter box. The Series2 DirecTV version has an integrated satellite receiver and can only be used with DirecTV satellite service.

You still need a TiVo subcription for a Series 2 TiVo in most cases. The only possibility of using it without a TiVo subscription would be if the previous owner had a subsription, but disconnected the TiVo from its telephone jack before the subscription ran out, and never connected it again. In that case it would be possible to make timer recordings like a VCR.

A new TiVo or Moxi can be purchased with a pre-paid lifetime (of the hardware) subscription, but are not cheap. They accept a CableCARD, if needed for digital cable.

[Edit] If you need a guide-based recording system for digital cable, the only other non-subscription option is a Windows 7 Home Premium PC equipped with a CableCARD (rented from Time Warner) and your own CableCARD tuner.

However, if you are content with making timer recordings of any remaining analog cable channels, plus the digital versions of your local over-the-air broadcast channels, recorded in standard definition, there is the Magnavox MDR515H/F7 500GB HDD and DVD-R with Digital Tuner sold online only. Amazon and Walmart's website have them.

In most cases, recording the majority of available digital cable-only channels with the Magnavox MDR515H/F7 will require a cable box, and you will need to make sure the cable box is tuned to the channel you want to record.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Jan 2011 at 10:37. Reason: added more information
    Quote Quote  
  3. In other words, the cable companies have this all sewn up.

Someone wrote up a good synopsis recently. The cable companies were able to take advantage of the fact that the program guides were so Balkanized.
    Last edited by jagabo; 26th Jan 2011 at 10:38.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can buy a DVD recorder and use that to record from. I do so with my JVC DVD recorder. If you need to remove flags from higer tier cable packages try: http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html#TVG and see if that helps. These companies are trying to get you to make them richer by forcing you into a corner.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    In other words, the cable companies have this all sewn up.
    Yes, in exactly those words.

If you want to record from cable, and are looking for "frugal" options, you're screwed and thats the end of it. The days of TiVO being an affordable option are long since past: in most cases its actually cheaper and much easier/more reliable to just pony up for the damn cableco DVR. The only major advantage of TiVO nowadays is its unique ability to tie in with your computer to offload recordings onto DVD, BluRay or AVI. (Some also would argue that its program guide is far superior, but it comes at the price of endless CableCard hassles and other glitches the cablecos throw at you.)

The Magnavox recorders are fine units, very handy and reliable, but they're not for everyone. Like TiVO, they target a specific user: someone who wants DVDs as an end result. Even though they have a hard drive like a TiVO or cable PVR, and similar functionality, there are drawbacks: no program guide at all, and navigation of the HDD is tricky because all recordings are labeled generically with date and time (unless you customize each one manually) and random thumbnails. If you're OK with what amounts to a souped-up VCR interface, the Magnavox records very high quality 16:9 standard def from its tuner and almost as well from cable. The trap with the Magnavox, or any generic recorder, is that cablecos have largely migrated away from "no box" service, leaving only a limited selection of channels that the recorder can tune from its built-in tuner directly off the cable wire. Many popular stations still require a decoder box, which kills the recorder's ability to change channels on its own for multi-event timer scheduling. Plus, if you're gonna get stuck paying another $8-10 for the box anyway you may as well say "screw it" and rent the recording box for $20 instead: its easier.

If all you're interested in is the normal broadcast channels, the Magnavox becomes more viable and cost-effective: you should at least be able to get the major networks and locals off the bare cable wire with no decoder box. If you'd prefer a more "TiVO-like" interface, another (more expensive) option (for off-air use only) is the Channel Master DTVpal recorder. It trades the DVD capability of the Magnavox for an integrated (free) program guide and the ability to record in full Hi Def. Its very popular with those who can get some off-air channels from an antenna. If you put up a cheap roof antenna, or buy an amplified indoor antenna from Radio Shack, you can usually pull in at least 3-5 networks and local stations cleanly enough for the DTVpal.

Details on the DTVpal.

Details on the Magnavox.

User forum for the Magnavox.
    Last edited by orsetto; 26th Jan 2011 at 11:30.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you all for the feed back.

What a scam! A girl wants to get a little fitness without paying through the nose.

Am I to understand that if I purchased a Moxi box for the family room in the house for 599 and then get the "mate' for the garage they would provide 2 boxes that don't require a subscription for the menu? I will still pay Time Highway Robbery Cable for the cable.

http://www.moxi.com/us/

Anybody?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jensnotvideosavvy View Post
    Thank you all for the feed back.

What a scam! A girl wants to get a little fitness without paying through the nose.

Am I to understand that if I purchased a Moxi box for the family room in the house for 599 and then get the "mate' for the garage they would provide 2 boxes that don't require a subscription for the menu? I will still pay Time Highway Robbery Cable for the cable.

http://www.moxi.com/us/

Anybody?

Thanks
    A Moxi plus1 Moxi Mate costs $799, purchased as a bundle, $898 if purchased separately. For digital cable, you need a CableCARD from Time Warner that you said would cost $2.50/month. For analog cable, you will need to purchase a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1950 kit from Moxi for $129. ...and of course you still need to have cable service. You won't pay extra for Moxi's guide service. The downside is that without a cable box or cableco DVR, you will have to give up access to any on-demand content.

It looks like TiVo cancelled the lifetime subscription option they were offering last year.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Jan 2011 at 13:40.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    It looks like TiVo cancelled the lifetime subscription option they were offering last year.
    Keep in mind that "lifetime" refers to the lifetime of the Tivo unit, not the person buying it. If your Tivo dies your lifetime subscription goes to the grave with it. I don't know what Moxi's policy is on that.

Another thing to keep in mind -- cablecard may become obsolete in the next few years. The FCC is looking at something new since cablecard never really took off.

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/03/17/a-cablecard-replacement-is-due-by-december-2012-bandaids-by-thi/
    Quote Quote  
  9. One point to bear in mind is that we tend to get a little too hung up on this "God forbid I should pay the cable company one thin dime extra" notion. While its understandable, because the cablecos largely are crooks who provide lousy service for outrageous fees, eventually you have to calm down and balance practicality against frugality. Like it or not, all the "don't wanna pay no stinkin rental fees" options suck eggs unless you're willing to settle for just the basic five networks over an off-air antenna. The minute you involve the cable company, the "affordable" non-rental units lose all their usefulness and put you back at square one. Moxie is very popular with some hardcore video hobbyists, but isn't ideal for the casual user. For what Moxie charges to buy its hardware, you may as well just get the TiVO which has a better guide and will give you more leverage when the cable company plays its monthly game of "how can we screw up the Cable Card connection so she'll give up and rent our own PVR?".

CableCard hassles are the dirty little secret of TiVO and Moxie that everyone who loves them pretends doesn't exist. The cablecos were dragged kicking and screaming into supporting TiVO with CableCard, mostly because TiVO holds patents used in the cable companies own PVRs and TiVO got nasty with them on a corporate level. Moxie has even less leverage, and is considered a non-entity by most cable companies: good luck keeping a Moxie working reliably under cable. Before anyone jumps down my throat, YES, I know: a large percentage of TiVO/Moxie owners "never have such problems". I'm just saying a significant percentage DO. So unless you have a particular reason for preferring a TiVO or Moxie and are technically hip enough to work around the issues, they aren't the best choice for "I want something brainless for the treadmill" use.

Personally I think the cheapest, most practical solution is having someone rig an extension cable wire from the main DVR or cable box you have in the house to your treadmill TV. Also have them hook up one of those remote control relay systems. In this way, you simply piggyback on your existing cable gear that you pay for anyway and retain all channels and features. Every town has guys that do this kind of work at reasonable cost: ask around. It shouldn't cost more than the $799 you'd blow on a Moxie. Another consideration would be whether its really worth all this BS just for the damn treadmill in the first place: do you have no other entertainment alternative? What about your laptop hooked up to internet versions of various stations? Time Warner Cable has recently begun allowing PC access to most of its channel offerings and on-demand programming to existing subscribers: if you have TWC, call and ask for your password. Other cablecos are following this trend, or offering affordable "whole house" hookups: ask, you may like what they tell you.

Finally, work out the true costs of a Moxie or someone installing an extension system for you: $799 is a lot of money. You'd have to rent the cable PVR for more than three years before you saw any actual savings: seriously, is it worth all the trouble? At least with their rental, its their headache: they have to keep it working, keep your connection stable, replace it if it breaks, update their own guide, etc. While it may irk you to pay them, since its their gear they can never blow you off if something goes wrong: they're obligated to fix it. I'm not a shill for the cable companies: I don't even use their PVRs myself. I like to make DVDs, which you can't do unless you're willing to be "technical" and hookup your decoder box to something like the Magnavox or Pioneer recorders like I do. I'm willing to deal with the aggravation because I like collecting things on DVD. But if all I wanted was to watch and erase, I would jump on the cableco PVR in a second: its the only recorder thats completely integrated with their proprietary systems. Its a ripoff in the sense that for what they charge for basic service + HBO they should throw it in free anyway, it wouldn't kill them. But for ease of use and no headaches, its worth it for most people: thats why TiVO sales went flat awhile back and sales of DVD recorders died completely. Each individual has to make their own "$$$ vs convenience vs features vs aggravation" decision.
    Last edited by orsetto; 26th Jan 2011 at 14:45.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    You folks are amazing.

Orsetto... It may just be easier to rent the dang box. I was using a VCR + for years but was frustrated when the tape ran out. I ended up on the treadmill when I had plenty of shows to choose from. More times on the treadmill makes me happier so maybe I fork it out.

I like the hook it up with the relay idea. Nice tip.

I also had no idea that you could watch tv on the computer. I am going to look into that. Is there then a way to record? I have Macs.

Thanks for not talking lingo as my name says it all.

Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You folks are amazing.

Orsetto... It may just be easier to rent the dang box. I was using a VCR + for years but was frustrated when the tape ran out. I ended up on the treadmill when I had plenty of shows to choose from. More times on the treadmill makes me happier so maybe I fork it out.

I like the hook it up with the relay idea. Nice tip.

I also had no idea that you could watch tv on the computer. I am going to look into that. Is there then a way to record? I have Macs.

Thanks for not talking lingo as my name says it all.

I think orsetto was suggesting that you watch TV using the Internet and your laptop screen. You just find a website that provides the show and watch. Time Warner apparently offers some things that way, and some cable channels and the over-the-air networks offer a few weeks worth of past episodes of their popular shows on their websites. Then there is Hulu, Fancast, Veoh, Google Video, and maybe some others I don't know about. Also Netflix and Blockbuster if you already have the right type of subscription. You need a fast broadband connection. A slow DSL connection won't be enough. Wireless connections can work, but a wired LAN connection is a more reliable choice.

Recording shows off the Internet is possible much of the time, but requires a bit of geeking up, and maybe a Windows OS under Boot Camp for some of the software I've heard of that can do it well. I'm not sure you why you would need to go that far just to have something to watch on the treadmill.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    . . . when the cable company plays its monthly game of "how can we screw up the Cable Card connection so she'll give up and rent our own PVR?".

CableCard hassles are the dirty little secret of TiVO and Moxie that everyone who loves them pretends doesn't exist. The cablecos were dragged kicking and screaming into supporting TiVO with CableCard, mostly because TiVO holds patents used in the cable companies own PVRs and TiVO got nasty with them on a corporate level. Moxie has even less leverage, and is considered a non-entity by most cable companies: good luck keeping a Moxie working reliably under cable. Before anyone jumps down my throat, YES, I know: a large percentage of TiVO/Moxie owners "never have such problems". I'm just saying a significant percentage DO. So unless you have a particular reason for preferring a TiVO or Moxie and are technically hip enough to work around the issues, they aren't the best choice for "I want something brainless for the treadmill" use.
    You just filled in some interesting background I wasn't aware of. I have some observational comment because relatives went with a Tivo + cablecard + TWC setup. In terms of glitches seen there, they seem to be in the nature of these pieces falling out of sync every so often, halting or impairing function, with the result that everything has to be rebooted -- occasionally more than once. To me, this appears not all that dissimilar to what happens even more often with their (TWC) internet setup (cable modem + router + computers' NICs). That may be even more of a nuisance, because it requires rebooting in a certain sequence, with certain delays. (This almost never happened to me in 8 years worth of DSL internet service . . . but I digress. Nor have I seen anything like that with DirecTV, give or take a system-wide screwup.) Anyway, fortunately, it hasn't been too big a deal over there. The wireless networking of the Tivo has been somewhat more up and down, though I don't know the cablecard plays much of a role in that.

TWC -- at least in that service area -- has some Tivo+cablecard-trained techs, and seemed to be reasonably accommodating re setting it all up for clueless customers. The setup gets to be even more complicated, because an auxilliary tuner / amplifier box was required to support the cablecard, or else a lot of desirable channels would not be receivable. Even so, their cablecards do NOT support the TW VOD service. That can be a significant negative tradeoff, not having access to all those channel libraries. But then considering how badly TW has ****ed up the user interface on the VOD in their own current issue cable boxes, where the navigation has become horrendous (compared to how it was in the 4 years I had it on different and older TW hardware in another service region), you wouldn't really want the TW version in any case. Tivo would surely have its own much better UI, if the hardware allowed for it.

I didn't know that business about lifetime subscription only applying to the individual box. With DirecTV, there is the option of a yearly insurance arrangement guaranteeing the hardware, much as you are offered that option by your cell phone carrier.

Originally Posted by usually_quiet
    Then there is Hulu FanCast, Veoh, Google Video, and maybe some others I don't know about.
    fastpasstv . . . and the list goes on.

I really have to extend kudos to Jen for sticking with that treadmill time ! It wasn't practical for me to take my treadmill along when I moved, and it was a rather good one, so I donated it to a local fire station, which was glad to get it. (Truth be told, it had become mostly a sorting bed for office papers, those last couple years. )
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Tearren...

Thanks for the link. What a fabulous idea!!!

I think that is the answer. I record about 10 shows. If it does what it says it does, I might cancel my family room cable box.

If anybody has one of these machines i would love the feedback. Seems like a great solution.

Thanks to all!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How about getting a DVD Recorder

Panasonic DMR-EH59GA-K Multi-Zone 250GB HDD/DVD Recorder ... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/659769-REG/Panasonic_DMR_EH59GA_K_DMR_EH59GA_K_M...B_HDD_DVD.html <<< this is new ... Panasonic for awhile ... didn't have any DVD Recorders with Hard Drives in them ... unless you found a DMR EH50 on Ebay or a DMR E85H on Ebay.

..... or one without a hard drive in it ... Panasonic DMR-EZ28K DVD Recorder ... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/544187-REG/Panasonic_DMR_EZ28K_DMR_EZ28K_DVD_Rec...der_Black.html

You can record decent quality videos onto a DVD-RAM disk with the Panasonic [either unit records to a DVD-RAM disk] ... watch them ... and erase it and record something else.

I live in a house and I have my antenna attached to my chimney ... I pick up all the major networks in my area ... Fresno - Hanford area ... Zip code ... 93230 ... I feed a signal to ... 7 tuners in my home ... some are TVs ... DVD Recorders and to my PCs with a ATI HDTV 650 pci card inside my PCs.

I very easily ... use my Panasonic DVD Recorders [EH50s - E85H - EZ17 or EZ27 models] to record from my Directv box ... in SD ... not HD. Just use the S-VHS connection.

ADD ON ... For media mavens who want to play, record, and archive their music, photos, and videos across a variety of storage formats, the Panasonic DMR-EH59GA-K Multi-Zone 250GB HDD/DVD Recorder offers a dizzying array of choices that will satisfy the most demanding requirements. We've imported this European version specifically so you can enjoy more options than you'll usually find on North American models.

This item is imported and it is not supported by a MFR warranty. To support this product B&H Photo provides a 90-day warranty.

Okay ... BH Photo ... says their importing it in ... for us USA folks ... and looking at the specs on it ... I dont think it has a Digital tuner for USA Digital broadcasts ... so the DMR-EZ28K would be the better choice for recording "over the air" broadcasts ... on to DVD-R disks or DVD-RAM disks ... most likely be stuck with the commercials. I use my computer to edit out the commercials on a DVD-RAM disk.

The ... Panasonic DMR-EZ28K DVD Recorder ... is not imported in to the USA ... it is a USA model for USA customers.
    Last edited by lacywest; 27th Jan 2011 at 02:44. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tearren...

Thanks for the link. What a fabulous idea!!!

I think that is the answer. I record about 10 shows. If it does what it says it does, I might cancel my family room cable box.

If anybody has one of these machines i would love the feedback. Seems like a great solution.

Thanks to all!
    I already suggested one of these machines to you in my first post and told you what the drawbacks are. I have a DVD recorder, so I am well aware of the limitations they have. I mostly use mine with a cable box.

If you get rid of your cable box, the only channels you will likely have left using just the DVD recorder as your tuner will be your local broadcast channels (plus a few miscellaneous others like the Weather Channel) and the remaining analog channels Time Warner provides. The bulk of digital cable offerings you now have won't be available. You will loose the ability to watch anything on-demand, you will have no program guide available, and you won't be able to watch any premium subscriptions services you may have, like HBO.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have not read the entire thread, but I did not see TiVo Series 1 mentioned, which you can get from eBay and use without a subscription, like a VCR with a hard drive instead of tape. A used TiVo with a lifetime subscription is even better, if you can find somebody dumping one at a good price.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by V1de0Luvr View Post
    I have not read the entire thread, but I did not see TiVo Series 1 mentioned, which you can get from eBay and use without a subscription, like a VCR with a hard drive instead of tape. A used TiVo with a lifetime subscription is even better, if you can find somebody dumping one at a good price.
    The Series 1 TiVos are best used with a cable box as well when the cable package contains mainly digital channels. Series 1 TiVos can only tune analog channels on their own. The Magnavox HDD DVD recorders have both an analog tuner and a digital tuner that can tune the limited number of unencrypted digital channels that are available.

Series 1 TiVos do have one advantage over most DVD recorders, including the Magnavox HDD DVD recorders. They can change the channel on the cablebox with an IR blaster, although they have to be set up to work with the cable box model they are connected to.

A downside on Series 1 TiVos is they must be purchased used. TiVo stopped making Series 1 recorders years ago. I don't know what repairs and hard drive upgrades are possible for Series 1 TiVos.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    The Series 1 TiVos are best used with a cable box as well when the cable package contains mainly digital channels. Series 1 TiVos can only tune analog channels on their own. The Magnavox HDD DVD recorders have both an analog tuner and a digital tuner that can tune the limited number of unencrypted digital channels that are available.

Series 1 TiVos do have one advantage over most DVD recorders, including the Magnavox HDD DVD recorders. They can change the channel on the cablebox with an IR blaster, although they have to be set up to work with the cable box model they are connected to.

A downside on Series 1 TiVos is they must be purchased used. TiVo stopped making Series 1 recorders years ago. I don't know what repairs and hard drive upgrades are possible for Series 1 TiVos.
    I never was familiar with this (older) Pioneer model

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-DVR-810H-Lifetime-TiVo-subscription-/300519180523?pt=DVD_P...item45f856c8eb

but I'm guessing that your comments on Tivo Series 1 likely also apply to it ?
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

I never was familiar with this (older) Pioneer model

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-DVR-810H-Lifetime-TiVo-subscription-/300519180523?pt=DVD_P...item45f856c8eb

but I'm guessing that your comments on Tivo Series 1 likely also apply to it ?
    Yes, I'd say they applied. That Pioneer model is 6 years old, so it is only going to have an analog tuner. It probably won't be of much use without a cable box in a home with a digital cable subscription.

Hard to say what lifespan the DVD burner has left, or if it can be replaced, although the OP may not care about burning DVDs with it. It has an 80GB hard drive, which may also be 6 years old, and I don't know what replacement/upgrade options are possible at present. The IR blaster is another consideration. I don't see the IR blaster cable in the picture, and I don't if replacements are easily found. I also don't know if remote codes for the IR blaster are programmable or just built-in. If they are built in and codes that can run the OP's Time-Warner cable box aren't present, the IR blaster won't be useful.

orsetto is one of the resident Pioneer DVD recorder experts, and he could possibly fill in some of the blanks.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 29th Jan 2011 at 14:19.
    Quote Quote  
  20. It hasn't been posted here yet (and it's not the cheapest option by far, but it's perhaps the most versatile?), but one option you may want to look into is the DVR station that Archos produces for its line of Tablet devices. They took the feature out of their Gen8 series (I don't know if they'll bring it back for Gen9, I sure hope so!) but they've started re-shopping the Archos 5 and it's available for less than $300, then you have to get the DVR station for another $80. The 500GB version is going for a crazy $299 right now on Amazon.

So, for your set-up, you would have your DVR station down with your exercise equipment (which makes luck out of a lame situation because the Archos 5 doesn't have video-out or HDMI, but if you use the DVR station, you're good to go; you can get a minidock for $50 if you want to use your tablet for HD video on a big screen elsewhere in the house.) Video comes in from the cable box, goes into the DVR Station, and is recorded onto your Archos 5. An on-screen TV guide should make scheduling recordings easy. If you want to take your video with you somewhere else, just remove the Archos 5 from the dock and carry it to work or to a hotel or to the bathroom and watch video and play interactive media on a 5" Android tablet (running an old 1.6 OS.)

http://www.amazon.com/Archos-500-Internet-Tablet-Android/dp/B002NEGTOC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=U...6454652&sr=8-1
    http://www.amazon.com/Archos-DVR-Station-7th-Generation/dp/B002RL8UOS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT...6454631&sr=8-1

http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_5it/tv.html?country=us&lang=en

Lots of good times to be had, although also lots of drawback to face (one drawback is that without your Archos 5 plugged into the DVR station, the DVR cannot record, so you have this frustration of wanting to enjoy your tablet but not wanting to miss a show.) Reviews of Archos are all over the map, but I used to have a Gen4 or Gen5 and though it was fun, and I'm now shopping for a Gen8, so to me it's worth a look. A few months ago, this probably wouldn't have been a viable option, but $299 for a 500GB 5" tablet is hard to ignore.

...Otherwise, I would go with the DVD+HDD option. I have an old Panasonic EH75V and I curse that they discontinued the line in America because I'd have one installed in every room by now. (Great to hear that they're back in the UK, by the way!) The three Magnavox recorders look really enticing (Amazon has the 500GB priced for $199, that's almost too good to pass up) but the downside for me is that there's no TV Guide or cable box integration (the Panasonic PVR spoiled me with TIVO-like season recording of popular shows that shifted the recording time if the channel rescheduled, it also named everything for me.) I would absolutely not go with just a general DVR recorder as you can keep shows on your HDD if you want to save something, you can edit clips to remove commercials (if you're lending a DVD of a show to a friend,) you can record for much longer than a DVD can, and you don't have to worry about the DVD skipping and ruining your recording.
    http://www.magnavox.com/p/slider_player.php#2
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If there's a cable box somewhere else in the house that's not being used while you're on the treadmill, just attach a wireless video sender to that, a wireless video receiver to the TV near the treadmill, and carry the remote control with you (make sure you get a video senders that sends the remote control signal back to the cable box). $100 max.

The quality might not be great - it depends on the distance the sender has to send the signals, how many walls it has to go through, and what those walls are made of. Also any local interference.

A slingbox + laptop, or Slingbox + sling catcher (connected to the TV) will do the same over a computer network (wifi, cat5, DSL, etc) if you have one that reaches to where the cable box is, and also where the treadmill is - i.e. connect the slingbox to the cable box, and it'll send the video+audio over the computer network to where ever you are. The slingbox will also send the remote control commands back to the STB - the laptop version even provides a picture of the remote on screen for you to click the buttons.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote