VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Have a Sanyo DWM 390 dvd player that shows only black and white. How do I get color?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Stop playing discs from foreign countries.
    Quote Quote  
  3. All my discs play fine on other dvd players and show color so I'm not sure what you're referring to.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by blackkat View Post
    All my discs play fine on other dvd players and show color so I'm not sure what you're referring to.
    YOUR other DVD players?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I presumed this forum was to help guests with technical problems. Answering my question with a question is not helpful at all. Infact, it is quite frustrating and disappointing since I'd read many of your comments to previous forum guests and had become a quick admirer of your technical savvy. When I received such a quick response from you I was pretty excited until I read your response. All I'm searching for is some sensible help, but it sounds like one of your kids is talking with me rather than you. What's up with that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Make sure the settings are correct internally. If you're outputing with composite (yellow RCA), then make sure the menu settings are composite. You are probably using S-Video when the settings are composite, or HDMI, vice versa, or whatever, etc.

Hech54's suggestion is valid as well, in his own way , in that he did refer to an NTSC/PAL thing as a potential problem also.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    blackkat, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,
    Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks puzZler, I appreciate your answer. Unfortunately, I am a 60 year old woman and lack knowledge with the technical terms you're using. In laymens terms what the composites have to do with S video.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Sorry Moderator. I'm new at this and didn't realize I broke any rules. Thanks for correcting me. It won't happen again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi again.

I don't have the player myself so I will make assumptions.

Does it have an internal, or onscreen, menu? Do you know how to access it?

If so, check what settings are available for output. It has to match what cable you're using when connecting to the TV (output). Unless I'm mistaken, your player can output with either an RCA/Composite or S-Video or HDMI cable.

If you're using a yellow video wire (that comes with red and white audio cables) this should be set in your menu to something like RCA, or composite, or maybe yellow/red/white (all similar names).

A picture here may help on Wikipedia for this cable:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_video

Same goes for S-Video:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-video

And for HDMI:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi

I think this is the top candidate for your problem. If not, then we'll investigate the NTSC/PAL thing.
    Quote Quote  
  11. PuzZler, thank you so much for your input. You've been a tremendous help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You're welcome, but did it solve your problem? I'm curious myself.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Unfortunately, no. I do feel more educated for which I appreciate your patience and time. It appears I have the composite type player and I am connected to the same via my tv, but the color signal is for some reason not transmitting the information its supposed to in order for me to receive color. The remote does show a menu but doesn't allow me access. There is a "picture mode" indicated on the remote as well. It offers I suppose as options, "black and white," "standard," and "mild" when I click on it. Do you have any further options you can leave with me while I sleep on it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If not S-video: make certain it hasn't switched to PAL output (like a Colby that I have did).

Otherwise, the outlook could be grim:

"Unfortunately, after about 10 months of use the color went out."

http://www10.epinions.com/reviews/pr-Sanyo_DWM-390_DVD_Player
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just downloaded the guide - no S-Video output, so that's not it.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi again - went back to sleep and work since but I'm back.

If the machine is still functionable, I do believe it's something in your settings then since ClassFour confirmed that it can't be a cable thing.

Do you have DvDs that are both in NTSC or PAL? NTSC would be from your area, PAL would be something from other places, such as Europe. It should say in the back of the DvD case. If you can try both discs and one type shows color again, then we know it's an internal setting that can be corrected.

Otherwise, I believe your player is beginning to say good-bye. I too, like ClassFour, did some research on this and your player has this problem apparently with many other owners. It's a design flaw apparently.

If you are shopping for a new player get one with better outputs, since it makes a difference in picture quality. If you're interested, yellow composite RCA is weakest, S-Video is better, and HDMI is superior - provided your output display can accept these cables.

Tell you what - if your player is indeed dying, and you're on a budget - PM me. I would be glad to send you a nice new one.
    Quote Quote  
  17. That sounds incredibly generous, but since I am on a budget, how much?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Thanx for your help classfour. Much appreciated. P.S. I love your jeep.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Blackkat, been at work. But still waiting for you to PM me back.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Sorry PuzZLeR, I did but sent through Thread, not PM. New to this so didn't understand meaning of PM. Anyway you should have gotten my answer by now. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  21. PuzZLeR, still waiting to hear from you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yup, responded. Just came back from work.
    Quote Quote