VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Lady of Spain
    Search Comp PM
    I see various capture devices that say they are compatible with Win 7, however it is never specified whether they will work with a 64 bit OS as well as the more common 32 bit systems.

As I don't need TV capture (I'm not interested in Spanish TV) only video from a satellite box can anybody please suggest something that will be suitable? BTW the PC is new and if I open it up it will invalidate the warranty (stupid isn't it!) so I needs must use a USB or Firewire unit.

I look forward to your help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DuchessofWoking View Post
    I see various capture devices that say they are compatible with Win 7, however it is never specified whether they will work with a 64 bit OS as well as the more common 32 bit systems.

As I don't need TV capture (I'm not interested in Spanish TV) only video from a satellite box can anybody please suggest something that will be suitable? BTW the PC is new and if I open it up it will invalidate the warranty (stupid isn't it!) so I needs must use a USB or Firewire unit.

I look forward to your help.
    If you have a working firewire port on the PC and working firewire-out on the satellite box, all you need is compatible capture software. I can't recall ever seeing an external video capture device sold to consumers that has a firewire interface, except those made for use with SD video cameras and VCRs.

Here are two other options:
    http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/products/data_hdpvr.html
    http://www.avermedia.com/avertv/product/ProductDetail.aspx?Id=520

These have both Windows 7 32-bit drivers and Windows 7 64-bit drivers. Both permit recording HD video using component video inputs. Both hardware encode to H.264. A third-party plug-in must be purchased for either to work with Windows Media Center. The Hauppaugue HD-PVR can record from optical audio in. The Avermedia can only capture analog stereo.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 21st Jan 2011 at 19:10.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Lady of Spain
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys,

As you both suggested I've ordered the Hauppage HD PVR unit from Amazon as it seems to best fit my needs. I really appreciate your advice and your both taking the time and the trouble to help me. I hope that I get the opportunity to return your kindness.

Best wishes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DuchessofWoking View Post
    Hi Guys,

As you both suggested I've ordered the Hauppage HD PVR unit from Amazon as it seems to best fit my needs. I really appreciate your advice and your both taking the time and the trouble to help me. I hope that I get the opportunity to return your kindness.

Best wishes.
    Yes the Hauppage HD PVR is a good unit ... works just fine with my Windows 7 Ultimate x64 install.

I use to use a Panasonic EH50 to save my TV Shows on the the EH50 harddrive and then trim out the commercials but the DVD/CD drawer is not behaving correctly. I've got another to hook up but it is a hassle to disconnect it and put a new one in.

The shelf for my components are above the Panasonic 42" HDTV and I have 3 units stack on top of each other. The EH50 is on the bottom ... I have procrastinated badly ... not wanting to disconnect the wires and pop a working one in it's place ... its a real headache doing this.

Something to consider ... go to Walmart or Target and pick up a Seagate or Western Digital external USB 2.0 hard drive. I get the 500GB ones ... but if you want to ... get the Tera Byte ones instead. You will need a large harddrive to keep the recordings on.

I use two Seagate 500 GB ... USB 2.0 type ... bought at Walmart ... for 60 bucks each ... last year.

Well ... I just noticed you live in Spain ... dont know if you have a Walmart or a Target store in your area ... Amazon most likely has one to order ... check out ... Newegg or Amazon for customer reviews before ordering one. But ... you will need one ... the size of these video recordings are huge.

A Hard Day's Night - Beatles.m2ts ... is 7.8 Gigs
    Clash of the Titans.m2ts ... is 8.7 Gigs
    The Sons of Katie Elder.m2ts ... is 8.7 Gigs

The program ... VideoReDo ... is the program you will want ... newest version ... x264 ... for correcting any audio sync problems.

VideoRedo x264 version ... Absolutely ... works wonders for correcting the audio sync problems.

I use VideoRedo x264 ... to render out a TS or m2ts video file ... to a mpg video and then use ... TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress or TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4 ... to trim out the commercials. VideoRedo will make a 1080i mpg video file ... it will take a few hours ... actually ... quite a few hours. And when VideoRedo is finished processing the video ... it will say how many errors it corrected.
    Last edited by lacywest; 27th Jan 2011 at 02:57. Reason: Walmart or Target in Spain
    Quote Quote  
  5. Lady of Spain
    Search Comp PM
    As you suggested I ordered a 2Tb drive from Amazon as I am not aware of any Walmart or Target stores in Europe. In fact I don't think Spain has any good stores for PC stuff, at least not in my neck of the woods (a small village out in the boondocks in south-east Spain!), maybe there is something in the big cities but they are quite a long way from where I live.

BTW sorry for the delay, I've been away for a couple of weeks.

Best wishes
    Lissa
    Quote Quote