VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Just wondering if there's a way to convert files from mp4 [or any format] to wmv WITH drm.
    Have a Sony walkman 16gb [nwz e355] but only seems to play drm protected files & I can't seem to even find where to get any files like that, let alone convert to it.

Thanks for your time reading this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you won't be able to make drm infested files. if i were you i'd try xmedia recode and use one of the sony presets to convert to.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the idea.
    I tried xmedia recode but all the sony presets only convert to mp4. The NWZ-e355 [which is the one i have] seems to be the only one NOT on the list of Sony presets.
    I just attempted to convert to a basic wmv format [the file ended up being 230mb [about 150mb more than the original]]
    Anyone have any other suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Oh we've got plenty of suggestions, but you're not gonna like any of them. Including why did you buy this in the first place? Sony = sucks.

Why are you trying to convert to WMV when what I read suggests that it plays MP4 video fine?

Your real problem is most likely that you simply need to tweak your MP4 videos to get them to play. This is a fool's errand trying to encode your own WMV files with DRM. I don't know if that's even possible for consumers to do without paying Microsoft for a special WMV encoder. I'd advise trying to find out exactly what Sony means when they say they support MP4 video playback on the thing and try to get your videos encoded to that, which will be significantly easier than the task you have set for yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by monztarmon View Post
    Just wondering if there's a way to convert files from mp4 [or any format] to wmv WITH drm.
    Have a Sony walkman 16gb [nwz e355] but only seems to play drm protected files & I can't seem to even find where to get any files like that, let alone convert to it.

Thanks for your time reading this.
    microsoft expression expression encoder (free version) is capable of creating drm protected files, but you need a license server against which the generated key will be checked (basically the key resides on a server and a protected file contacts the server to check that the keys match before it will allow you to play the protected content).

i find it hard to believe that your sony walkman is capable of playing drm protected wmv's, there's no way it's connected to the internet, it can't contact an authentication server, it can't compare keys, basically it has no way of authenticating the protected content.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ok well, obviously I'm getting SOMETHING wrong but, my old 8gb sony walkman seemed to play a few video formats
    (http://www.sony.lv/product/nws-e-series/nwz-e438f#pageType=TechnicalSpecs)
    but apparently the e355 is only capable of playing wmv's [maybe not drm protected, i'm not as savvy on that as i'd like].
    On the packaging it only says 'wmv' & no other video formats.
    I DID have a few mp4's on the 8gb which played fine, but the same files won't play on the 16gb [e355].
    I just get the msg 'No videos available for playback. Please connect to compliant software or device & transfer videos.'
    @jman98, I'm not sure why you think sony sucks because I never had any issues with the old one, & same with the new one, aside from this one particular video problem.

Thanks again for reading.
    Last edited by monztarmon; 25th Jan 2011 at 00:59. Reason: wrong model no
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hahaha, my apologies.
    I never installled the 'content transfer' software which auto-converts to the proper format. It takes a few minutes of course but it worked.
    It's still only WMV.
    Kind of a pain in the neck since it's a step down from 3 or 4 file formats on the 8gb.

Thanks for your patience & help.
    Quote Quote