VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm wondering if a software exists that can capture video directly to dvd in real time without saving an mpeg-2 on on your hard drive?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I believe those are known as "stand alone DVD recorders", in other words - none that I know of.

You'd risk alot of coasters taking that route.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I believe some versions of VideoStudio could do this. I don't know if the current versions do.

However if you want direct to DVD recording then a DVD recorder is by far the most reliable solution.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Ulead/Corel 'Direct to Disk' is not exactly so.

What it does (or atleast did) was a one-click so the recording was temporally stored on your HDD and then burnt once you finished the recording.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    I believe some versions of VideoStudio could do this. I don't know if the current versions do.

However if you want direct to DVD recording then a DVD recorder is by far the most reliable solution.
    Videostudio 8,9 could do this but bit rate depended on CPU and you did risk a coaster. Not recommended.

Standalone DVD recorders have hardware encoding so can operate real time with low risk.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had an early version program from Mediostream called NEODVD or NEOTV. As I recall, it creates a simple menu structure with predefined timed chapters with no wait since it can do on the fly recording to disc as a ready to use DVD. I believe you can also use it to capture to the hdd in multiple formats. I used it to capture tv shows straight to dvdrw before standalone divx players became available. Haven't kept track so don't know if they still sell the products or still offer fully functional time limit demos.

It worked every time I used it but I always used DVDRW.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    gll99 - did you like NEODVD? The version that I had early on left major pauses at chapter points, and there was little that I liked about the program. I requested a refund, as it would not support DVD-RAM files from a Panasonic DVD recorder (which they alleged to on their site), the main reason for my purchase. And no, I did not receive a refund (this was within one week of downloading).
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My p4 3.2 was able to do this using nero re-encode providing the system was left to do this task.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post

Videostudio 8,9 could do this but bit rate depended on CPU and you did risk a coaster. Not recommended.

Standalone DVD recorders have hardware encoding so can operate real time with low risk.
    I'm a longtime fan of the (sadly discontinued) Pioneer DVDRs, and still use them extensively. But, of the times I've gone the direct-to-DVD route, I've had too many occasions to regret it. There are various glitches that can occur to make the whole effort a waste. Since then, I came to the conclusion that as long as one has an HDD in whatever make / model of DVDR (including the still available Magnavox ones from Walmart), it really makes no sense not to use it. At worst, you have a trial run that is or is not worthy of burning to disc, and the chance to make edits / fixes before you do so. This is also likely much better for the (finite) life of the burner.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote