VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Here's my issue:

I'm trying to convert a video file (.mkv) with DTS audio to another .mkv file with AC3 audio. Of course, I can use a software such as MKV video converter, but it will only process the video file as a whole; which will take around 2 days for a 15 Go video file...

Here's how I am progressing:

1 - I used tsMuxeR to extract the DTS audio file from the video file...the extracted file is a .ts extension.
    2 - Then, I used xVid4PSP 5.0 to convert that audio file from the DTS format to the AC3 format...it created an audio file with a .ac3 extension.
    3 - Here's where I get stuck: How can I add that .ac3 audio file back into the original .mkv to kinda "overwrite" the old audio format (DTS)?

Audio is a lot faster to process conversion-wise rather than converting the whole video including all the tracks...

Does anyone have the required knowledge to help me out?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. mkvtoolnix

push add, open old .mkv, push add, add new ac3 track, uncheckmark old dts track , push start muxing
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    mkvtoolnix

push add, open old .mkv, push add, add new ac3 track, uncheckmark old dts track , push start muxing
    I tried that already, but it will create either a .ts file, a .m2ts file or a blu-ray file, but there's no option for a .mkv file....
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by mdelisle1 View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    mkvtoolnix

I tried that already, but it will create either a .ts file, a .m2ts file or a blu-ray file, but there's no option for a .mkv file....
    No you didn't try it already...

It can only export mkv, not other formats

mkvtoolnix = mkvmerge NOT tsmuxer

another method
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/PopCorn_MKV_AudioConverter
    Quote Quote  
  5. So, should I choose the .ts format?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I think you're confused with the programs

there is no .ts format option in mkvtoolnix

if you already did your conversion to ac3 (i.e you finished your steps 1 & 2 in your original post), follow the steps in post#2

if you want to start all over again, try popcornhour mkv audio converter in the link above
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    O use EZmkvDTStoAC3v1.1 to do that. Simple and fast.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    I think you're confused with the programs

there is no .ts format option in mkvtoolnix

if you already did your conversion to ac3 (i.e you finished your steps 1 & 2 in your original post), follow the steps in post#2

if you want to start all over again, try popcornhour mkv audio converter in the link above
    Awww Geez! Yeah I was a bit confused; I thought you were talking about tsMuxeR...I downloaded MKVtoolnix and am currently converting it; will get the results in a couple minutes...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks everyone! All of your options will be evaluated for sure. I didn't expect to have as much support as that.

Thanks again to everyone on this post
    Quote Quote  
  10. @mdelisle1
    Surprisingly you can use Avimuxgui folowing the EXACT steps
    poisondeathray provided for you.......
    Have a nice day[and happy muxing],
    M
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What I do is de-mux the mkv with MKVcleaver into it's streams. I insert the DTS stream into DAudioK and convert the DTS into AC3.

Finally, I reinsert the streams I want back into mkv format with MMG (from MKVToolNix). Usually I also re-insert subtitles in the form of SRTs into it as well. To get the SRTs I use Suprip.

Tony
    Quote Quote