VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Dear all, I am not sure if any one in this forum have used the Enosoft's DV Processor software.

I downloaded free version of Enosoft DV Processor for capturing Date & Time of the video recording (on MiniDV) so that the same can be overlayed onto the final video on DVD. It worked great while capturing, and even shows the date & time properly on the final captured AVI fle. However after encoding and burning to DVD (Using the old Sonic DVD IT Software) the date and time are actually not shown on TV completely. The information is stripped off partially. I ensured that the Date & Time info is well within the TV Overscan area (by using the 2 "safe area" option in Enosoft DV processor. It seems very strange. Do you know if this is a bug?

Secondly, I understand that capturing from MiniDV via Firewire is a straight digital file copy without ANY encoding & picture quality degradation. Does it stay the same even while using the Enosoft's DV Processor software for overlaying Date & Time at the time of capturing? Is it still a digital file transfer, or some kind of encoding or compression is happening while putting date & time info?

Thanks for your response.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If the timecode is burned onto the picture, it's re-encoding. A screenshot of your DVD file (eg with DGIndex) may help diagnose the problem with placement.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is burnt onto the picture at the location that I specify. There are some settings available to specify whether the timecode should be opaque or transparent as well.

I have several scenes in my MiniDV involving my kids shot on different dates, and I wanted to capture date & time information on all frames so that it is easy to see it immediately even when the scene changes. Enosoft DV Processor did a pretty good job of placing the timecode information on EVERY frame, so in the final captured video (DV AVI file), the seconds keeps increasing, and when the seconds reach 60 the minute figure is increased by 1 ...etc.

But I remember the person (Johnny Malaria) who belongs to the company that produced this software stating in one of the forum posts on this site that no encoding is involved and it is a straight digital transfer even while "buning" the timecode info.

My objective is to use a method that involves no encoding, thus preserving the maximum quality before I encode to MPEG-2 for DVD. Some one elsewhere on this site suggested going the subtitle way. Save the Timecode info as Subtitle using DVSubmaker and then use it in the authoring program for including subttles. Do you think this method is better than the DV Processor method in terms of picture quaity?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I would think so. If this Johnny Malaria is a technical person, I'd sure like to know how they accomplished it.
    Quote Quote