VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am just getting started in converting my old vcr tape home movies to dvd's. Also have numerous 8mm video cassettes to transfer to dvd's. Need help on selecting best and quickest equipment for this process? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. This is a regular topic on here, take a look here you should find some useful information https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/330494-VHS-to-PC-capture
    I've just won the lottery, what would i want with a bitch like you.

csi crime scene
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Simplest is to get a set top dvd recorder. Just plug in your vcr or video camera, press play on the tape you want to record, put a blank dvd in the dvd recorder and press record on the dvd recorder. Plain and simple.

Of course there are a lot of other options you can look into. How complex you want to get depends on your end result you want to achieve and what quality your tapes are in.

Check the link mickish provided and browse the website on vhs to dvd with the built in search feature.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PC capture produces the best quality - but is more difficult.

The early transfers that I did with a Panasonic DMR-E20 (and the little black box from ebay) have flaws that I don't care for.

Three (better) VCRs later, and a Hauppauge PVR-250: I'm more satisfied, but it IS VHS that I normally transfer from. 8mm should yield better results, so I'd stick with a better setup - instead of easiest.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  5. "Best" and "quickest" are the antithesis of each other when it comes to VHS to DVD transfers. So are "best" and "cheapest". Reasonable price, reasonable quality, fast, and easy, is a DVD recorder with line TBC recording 1 hour on a single layer disc. Best will involve purchasing US$1000 in equipment (much of it used because it's not made any more) and spending a lot of time learning how to use it and the software. There are many threads here that discuss that. I'm pretty sure it's not what you want so I won't bother searching and linking to them.

Note, the DVD recorder route won't work with commercial tapes that include Macrovision copy protection.
    Last edited by jagabo; 16th Jan 2011 at 19:27.
    Quote Quote