VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello & good evening,

I have a Panasonic HDC SD600, been using it for 9 months now with a windows7 enabled PC.
    I installed the supplied CD ROM HD Writer AE2.1 & it worked fine, video's onto You-tube etc..
    I uploaded Windows movie live & did simple editing too.

However, I bought an iMac desktop last week. On the whole, I love it, though I find it very different to a PC.
    I like photography & added Aperture3 also.
    Now then, I tried to install the HD Writer AE2.1 onto the Mac. It does not seem to support the CD & doesn't recognise much on the CD?
    If I plug in the camera, the Mac does not recognise the camera and if I open iVideo and try to import anything, nothing happens!
    The CD does not say whether it is designed for windows or Mac, so I presumed it works for both?
    Where am I going wrong please?
    regards,
    Barry
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by B Smithson View Post
    Now then, I tried to install the HD Writer AE2.1 onto the Mac. It does not seem to support the CD & doesn't recognise much on the CD? The CD does not say whether it is designed for windows or Mac, so I presumed it works for both?
    Your presumption is overly optimistic. This Panasonic page says: "Supplied CD-ROM (HD Writer AE 2.1) is available for Windows only."

Originally Posted by B Smithson
    If I plug in the camera, the Mac does not recognise the camera and if I open iVideo and try to import anything, nothing happens!
    iVideo?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i would assume it's like most newer cams. usb interface. plug it in and drag and drop the files off the cam onto your computer and then import the files into the editor.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the files you drag over from the camcorder aren't playable in QuickTime Player, try VLC. Also download VideoSpec so you can get a handle on what codec is being used for both the video and audio. Report back here if you need more assistance.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you. I will give it a go..
    By 'drop the files off the cam' I presume you mean use the mouse to drag & drop the files into say QuickTime etc..?
    It does have a USB2 interface & I meant "iMovie", not IVideo, my mistake
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Drag the files from the SD card to the Mac's Desktop. Rather than worrying about how to connect the camcorder to the Mac, just put the SD card into the iMac's SD card slot and it will appear on the Desktop as a volume. If your iMac is older and lacks an SD card slot, buy an inexpensive USB SDHC card reader (probably $5) and use that. Open that card up and drag the files from that card to your Mac's Desktop. WARNING: DO NOT -EVER- modify anything on that SD card by playing with the content from your Mac. Don't even drop the video file onto QuickTime Player. FIRST, drag (by which I mean "copy") the video files to your Mac's Desktop (or any other folder where it makes sense for organizational purposes). THEN open or modify the COPIED files that are on your Mac.

When you use your Mac to play with anything on that SD card, you run the risk of adding some Mac-specific files to that card (which may be invisible when viewed from your Mac) that might be bad for how that card works with your camcorder. In fact, once you copy the files over to your Mac (-and- back them up!), it is considered wise to erase (not "delete files") the SD card -in- the camcorder so that your camcorder, when working with the SD card, see only the proper files it should see and isn't confused by files put there by your Mac.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hei there,

I have a similar problem.

I also own the Panasonic HDC-SD600 and a MacBook OS X, it doesn't seem to be able to read the 'Writer' CD, the here recommanded solution of simply dragging the video files onto the desctop doesn't work for me, because they don't even show up when I connect te camera to my computer. What the fxxx do I do? Besides go and bare my teeth at the sales clerk, given that I asked him wether I would face any problems given that I have a effin Mac, which probably isn't gonna do either of us any good?

If anyone has an idea, please share.

EDIT: I don't have any problems with plain pictures. Just connect the camera, drag & drop.
    Last edited by silverstone; 18th May 2011 at 12:29.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You don't "connect the camera to the computer". You remove the SD card and connect -that- to the computer (SD card slot on the side of the MacBook Pro or iMac, or card reader). Let us know what happens then.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks for answering so fast, see, the thing is though that the Macbook doesn't come with a card slot. I'm sorry, I should have said that.

I tried it with another camera, but that wasn't of any use either, as I guess some people here can figure.
    Thought it was worth a shot, but doesn't show the videos either.

Will try to borrow a card reader and I'll get back to you!
    Quote Quote