VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey, i have a .mp4 file which apparently is 720p and i want to convert it or burn it to dvd without loosing the quality. Can some please advise me on how to go about this it would be much appreciated,thanks

I have converted 720 .MKV files to .Mp4 to play through my Xbox 360 and they have worked well so i though that this .mp4 file i have would be able to play straight away but it doesn't,why is that?

info of .mp4 below . i know that some files say they are 720p but are not quite

Click image for larger version

Name:	info1.jpg
Views:	2139
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	5201
    Quote Quote  
  2. Are you making a DVD (IFO, BUP, VOBs) from it or are you just planning on burning it as a data disc onto DVD media? If you're planning on making a real DVD of it for playing on a standalone DVD player, you'll lose quite a bit of quality. And that's in addition to the quality already lost when this thing was made.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The first thing to jump out is the resolution, which is a half-arsed set of numbers if ever I saw them. Normally this would have been resized to 1280 x nnn (effectively a bastardised 720p), but this is neither 1080 nor 720 based. I would try resizing to 1280 x nnn and re-encoding (unavoidable), then outputting to mp4 directly. Xvid4psp can do this.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    bizarre specs like guns said. i'd have to look at it but it most likely was 1440 non-square pixel HDV or something that was incorrectly encoded 1440 square pixel. good luck with that. maybe recode to 1920 first and then try going to widescreen mpeg-2. next time don't download crud before reading and understanding the nfo.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been very happy with the quality converting 720p .mp4 files to DVD using Nero Vision 9. There are lots of options to tweak the conversion parameters. And it's reliable.

creakndale
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by creakndale View Post
    I have been very happy with the quality converting 720p .mp4 files to DVD using Nero Vision 9. There are lots of options to tweak the conversion parameters. And it's reliable.

creakndale
    It is also a massive quality drop. There is no way to avoid it no matter what program you use (personally, Nero would not be high on my list). 720p down to DVD is a bit hit.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. ok thanks for the advice guys, i think i will get WDTV
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Cupid Stunt View Post
    I have converted 720 .MKV files to .Mp4 to play through my Xbox 360 and they have worked well so i though that this .mp4 file i have would be able to play straight away but it doesn't,why is that?
    Looking at that file info, two things immediately get my attention: the 6 channel AAC audio and the fact that the video has 7 reference frames.

The resolution shouldn't matter, since the 360 should play it at the right ratio as long as it's set correctly, the 7 reference frames could mean that the picture might be messed up a little at playback, the recommended amount of RFs for the 360 is 3.

The 6 channel AAC audio needs changing as the 360 will not even attempt to play MP4 files unless they have 2 channel AAC audio, you could try down mixing to Dolby Surround, I'm sure there's something out there which will do that without recoding the video. Xvid4PSP maybe...
    Quote Quote