VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i burned a dvd from a dv-avi file, but when i play it back in vlc media player the video is not deinterlaced and i have to turn on deinterlacing in the program.

my dvd player though, plays the video very smoothly when i pop in the same dvd.

my question is: will ALL dvd players play back my home made dvd's (made from mini-dv cassette camcorder) smoothly and deinterlaced?

(i use avstodvd to burn the dvd)
    Quote Quote  
  2. If the DVD is properly made either the DVD player or TV will deinterlace, depending on the setup.
    Quote Quote  
  3. what do i gotta do to make the dvd properly so it works in all dvd players?
    Quote Quote  
  4. You said it wasn't being deinterlaced in VLC but when you chose a deinterlacing method it got deinterlaced. So what's the problem? Your standalone DVD player deinterlaces it properly (if going to a progressive display, no deinterlacing needed if going to an interlaced CRT TV set).

Sometimes software DVD players have to have deinterlacing turned on.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's possible the video has interlaced frames but is encoded as progressive MPEG 2 -- and the DVD player just happens to be outputting with the correct field order over an analog output so it looks ok on the TV. Another DVD player might decide to use the opposite field order and the video would be jerky on TV. VLC seeing the progessive encoding would then just display as if it was progressive.

Basically, make sure you encode interlaced with the correct field order. Bottom field first for DV AVI.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by granturissimus View Post
    what do i gotta do to make the dvd properly so it works in all dvd players?
    You can make a 480i or a 480p DVD disc and it will play properly in all DVD players. Generally it is better to encode MiniDV format to 480i (lower field first).

A non-progressive DVD player will play both type discs as 480i. The 480p disc is telecined to 480i. A CRT TV will play 480i directly. A progressive TV must first inverse telecine or deinterlace to 480p, then upscale to screen resolution.

A progressive DVD player can play out as 480i or 480p depending on output settings. If 480p is selected a 480i disc gets deinterlaced or inverse telecined to 480p in the player.

An upscaling DVD player can do all of the above plus upscale to 720p or 1080i in the player. If you upscale a 480i disc to 1080i, interlace is maintained. A progressive disc is telecined to 1080i.
    Last edited by edDV; 15th Jan 2011 at 20:53.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  7. theres an option in avstodvd to select top field first or bottom field first. there is also a check box that just says "DV". do i check the "DV" checkbox? (it is checked by default)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    complicated answers for a simple question. rather than vlc, use a dvd software player like powerdvd or windvd. vlc is good for progressive avi type material but not interlaced dvds.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by granturissimus View Post
    theres an option in avstodvd to select top field first or bottom field first. there is also a check box that just says "DV". do i check the "DV" checkbox? (it is checked by default)
    Not familiar with that program but select DV then verify it is set to 720x480i/29.97 lower field first and keep average bit rate above 8000 Kb/s for quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    complicated answers for a simple question. rather than vlc, use a dvd software player like powerdvd or windvd. vlc is good for progressive avi type material but not interlaced dvds.
    I thought he was asking about hardware DVD players but VLC has a good Yadif deinterlacer if you set it in preferences or manually under video settings.
    Quote Quote  
  11. By default, AVStoDVD will set intelaced BFF flag, if source file is a DV-AVI.

If VLC fails to de-interlace the output interlaced DVD, use another software player or tell him to force de-interlacing.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    I thought he was asking about hardware DVD players but VLC has a good Yadif deinterlacer if you set it in preferences or manually under video settings.

vlc has never de-interlaced a dvd for me when it starts playing a dvd. i always have to go into settings and turn it on. once it's on it's fine. powerdvd and windvd do it automatically.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post

vlc has never de-interlaced a dvd for me when it starts playing a dvd. i always have to go into settings and turn it on. once it's on it's fine. powerdvd and windvd do it automatically.
    You should also try free MPCHC
    Quote Quote