VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I used to know how to do this and have asked this question before but it happens so seldom I forget from time to time:
    how 'add' an .srt subtitle to an .avi which I then burn to disk using AVStoDVD.

I tried earlier to do it right in AVStoDVD, but it exited with an error message just as sub-encoding was to begin, and I can't understand why:
    <2011-01-14 19:14:07>
    START SUBS ENCODING OPERATIONS
    SubtitleCreator Parameters: "C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\DVD_0_Straig ht Time (1978).srt" -p2 -i"C:\Program Files\AVStoDVD\SubtitleCreator\Examples\VTS_01_1.I FO"
    <>
    <2011-01-14 19:14:17>
    PROCESS ABORTED DURING TITLE 1 SUBS ENCODING OPERATIONS.

The .srt file is in the same directory and has the same name as the movie and it looks allright in a player.

Can anybody please help? I promise I'll write down how to do it this time if I get it right...
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Open the .srt file with SubtitleCreator (it comes with AVStoDVD package). If it is badly formatted, see error message. Fix it. If you cannot, send it to me (avstodvd@gmail.com).

BTW I'm working on a automatic srt fixing routine for the upcoming AVStoDVD release.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, OK...does this mean it was a known bug or, at the least, issue? And I even made sure to upgrade to ver. 2.3.3. before I went ahead.
    Thank you _MrC_ for your suggestions and kind offer

Still...I can't rid myself of the feeling that if the movie works fine together with the .srt file in a player - e.g. timing's perfect - then shouldn't it in AVStoDVD? Or AVI2DVD which also crapped out?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Players may be able to handle issues that cannot be handled as easily during conversion. Things like overlapping time or odd characters can cause issues for converters that players might just force through. The process is different, even though superficially they may seem the same.

Did you run your srt file through subtitlecreator and see what it had to say ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you run your srt file through subtitlecreator and see what it had to say ?

I opened the srt file with subtitlecreator and it opened OK.
    How do I 'run' it, as you say?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Run it through = process it with = open it in

Send a copy to MrC and we'll see what he says about it.

I have seen some pretty ugly SRT files on the net, which is odd given how simple the format is supposed to be.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I opened the srt file with subtitlecreator and it opened with the warning: "Selected subtitle's duration is too short (11 char/sec)".

Then, on a hunch, from the Synchronize menu, I chose Convert Frame Rate. After conversion I still get the error message, though now saying the duration is 6 char/sec but no amount of resynchronization changes that. 6 characters/sec it is.

Funny thing, though: how can there be this problem with the .srt when it is perfectly synched to the movie watched in a player?

This is waaay beyond me.
    Quote Quote  
  8. If you dont want switchable subtitles and dont mind them hardcoded..Just run the avi and srt through AviRecomp... (hardcode the sub to the resultant avi)should take 20 t0 30 minutes on a 2 pass... then convert it to DVD..

Just to add if you open your srt in something like subtitle workshop and save it back to SSA format..Avirecomp allows you to change font colour..size etc etc of SSA format.. if you wish ..and has a real time preview to show how the resultant file and subs will look..so you can check everything is in synch and ok.

Ha en bra dag
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the suggestions Soixante. In fact, I ran the movie through Avidemux, which allows you to add subs, and it went fine. AVStoDVD, AVI2DVD and AutoGK all conked out for various reasons.

Perhaps Avidemux uses AviRecomp?

Önskar dig en fin helg
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks for sending me the srt file.

There's an uncommon "feat": usually srt subs files start with:

Code:
    00:00xx,000 --> 00:00:yy,000
    Bla bla bla
    instead your srt starts with:

Code:
    00:00:01,000 --> 00:00:04,000
    Downloaded From www.AllSubs.org
    Just delete that section, be sure that file starts with "1" and then save it.

Next AVStoDVD will handle this kind of srt too.

Bye
    Last edited by _MrC_; 16th Jan 2011 at 09:47. Reason: better formatting
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for taking time with my little problem _MrC_. I'll go and correct the .srt right away as per your instructions
    Quote Quote