VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using EVS from http://www.doeasier.org/splitter/ and it is perfect for splitting avi files into smaller files. It's better than most as you can watch a long video and mark in and out and then split when you are done marking rather than having to mark one clip and then split and start over. It's perfect because its real easy to use and is free. (I'm not sure if doeasier is even around any more as their emails bounce.) Anyway has anyone got this to work on Windows 7? Or is there a similar tool? I don't need frame accurate splitting but it needs to be simple to use. I also have Scenalyzer which works great but is more complicated than EVS in that you have to manually delete clips you don't want. thx.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I have the same problem too.... maybe put it into Compatibility Mode and use recommended settings?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately Compatibility Mode only runs on Windows 7 Professional or above. That sucks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone have Compatibility mode to try this out?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have Win 7 home premium and there is a compatibility mode available. Right mouse on program Icon and click on Properties then Compatibility.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You must have professional. That doesn't show up on my home premium version. (nor is it advertised as such) I'm struggling paying another $90 for the upgrade to make a free piece of software work (or not.) I could rant about Microsoft and how they coerce us to upgrade only to find that our old stuff no longer works. But I guess I won't.... (in this forum anyway.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not really an answer to your problem but if you can't make the software you want to work, you could always use other free software like virtualdub or avidemux to split your avi's. Both of those work on win 7.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Windows 7 Home Premium has Windows XP compatibility settings (among other Windows OS compatibility choices), which are enough to run some applications that don't work otherwise. I should know. I've used them often enough. I built this PC myself and have no doubt it is running the standard Windows 7 Home Premium.

The Professional and Ultimate versions include Windows XP Mode (a form of virtualization), which can run some XP applications that don't work with the regular XP compatibility settings, but still perhaps not everything.

I installed Easy Video Splitter 2.01, but it did not run properly with either XP compatibility setting. It ran, although not perfectly, using "Windows 98/Windows ME" compatibility setting and "Run as administrator".

1. Right-click the Easy Video Splitter desktop icon and select "troubleshoot compatibility" then "troubleshoot program".
    2. Check "The program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now" and "The program requires additional permissions" and click the "Next" button.
    3. Select "Windows 98/Windows ME" and the "Next" button.
    4. Click "Start the Program" and try out Easy Video Splitter, then close it.
    5. Click "Yes, save these settings for this progam".
    6. Windows 7 will report "Issues found: Incompatible program", although Easy Video Splitter is at least somewhat functional. Click the "Close" button.

I was able to extract a clip from an SD .mpg file. Easy Video Splitter would not work properly for HD video, and crashed when trying to open some files or libraries. I don't know why, but maybe the filename or path was too long.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 14th Jan 2011 at 17:55.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow. Sorry I blew up. I didn't know their was a distinction between xp virtual mode and compatibility (my bad.) I didn't want to confuse things as I actually have it running on windows 7 using virtual box running xp but that is not a good solution. I'll take your hints and play with it and come back and report. Thanks for this.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yikes! So I followed the instructions. I started EVS and the closed it and said "save" these settings. However now when I run it and click the icon to pick a source file the program crashes and exits. This is really bizarre as I see it works in XP and if I pick XP as the option it won't even start but claims a file corruption error or some such. Anyway I do appreciate your help and I"ll keep plugging away as this is a sweet little program. (Don't suppose anyone knows what happened to the EVS developer. Web site is there but the email bounces.)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Wakewatcher View Post
    Yikes! So I followed the instructions. I started EVS and the closed it and said "save" these settings. However now when I run it and click the icon to pick a source file the program crashes and exits. This is really bizarre as I see it works in XP and if I pick XP as the option it won't even start but claims a file corruption error or some such. Anyway I do appreciate your help and I"ll keep plugging away as this is a sweet little program. (Don't suppose anyone knows what happened to the EVS developer. Web site is there but the email bounces.)
    After reading the above, I tried Easy Video Splitter again, using Windows 98/Windows ME compatibility and run as administrator. Twice I attempted to open the same source file that had worked before, and Easy Video Splitter crashed both times. One of these times Windows 7 gave me and error window with the message "COM Surrogate has stopped working" The third time it worked, and I could export clips from the open file. Easy Video Splitter's behavior appears to be unpredictable when used with Windows 7.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 14th Jan 2011 at 22:33. Reason: added more information about what I was doing
    Quote Quote