VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having a very hard time as I have the most recent version of Virtual Dub and I installed the WMV and MP4 plugins but I still can't get them to work? When I try to load a WMV file in virtual Dub it goes thru the motions and loads just like it would on an AVI file but it says "missing codec" I've tried to follow the instructions of others that I've Googled and loaded FFDShow and Direct Show and probably three other fixes and nothing works? When I try to load an MP4 I get nothing but a black screen? There must be an easier, updated way to load something and easily enable it. I tired to follow the instructions to enable the VFW configuration in FFDShow and it's not user-friendly. Please advise?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by brevardo
    There must be an easier, updated way to load something and easily enable it.
    Yes. Run an AviSynth script sourced to your original file instead into VirtualDub and it will be treated much like an AVI file.

I do it this way because I too find those QuickTime, WMV, etc plugins flaky on VirtualDub.

Note: I personally index any MP4 file beforehand with FFMSIndex.
    Last edited by PuzZLeR; 13th Jan 2011 at 03:00.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When you say "run" what do you mean? AVISynth has been nstalled but how do you associate iut with a file? It's not an executable program?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You make a simple script for Avisynth and open the result in VD: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/225793-How-to-open-MP4-MKV-WMV-RM-MOV-OGM-with-any-editor-encoder It's very quick and easy and works with most video formats.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You probably need a VFW decoder for WMV3. Install WMV9VCM.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As Redwudz mentioned. My choice of the word "run" meant just create and feed an AviSynth script into VDub.

If you need help, a good starting tool to create this script for your video file would be AvsP.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote