VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I bought some official DVDs of some foreign films from an official retailer that, unfortunately, don't come with English subtitles. I did, however, find some fan-submitted subtitles online. These were synched to an uploaded version that ran at 29.97fps. I ripped the official DVD to my PC and have converted it to an MPEG but it runs at 25fps, so how do I get the fansubs to synch so I can burn them to a DVD-R? What's strange is that the uploaded version DOES run slower (I ran it and the official DVD side-by-side), but the total runtimes are nearly identical (only 2 seconds difference), so how could it just be a framerate problem? I definitely want to maintain maximum video/audio quality for the official version. The entire reason I paid to get it (and the others) was because of the superior image/audio quality.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Too many variables to be sure. There's a good chance that the 29.97fps version was made using a PAL master so the lengths could be identical, taking into account the different logos at the beginning. At best you'd only have to set the correct delay for the 29.97fps subs to match up with your 25fps movie. Are they off by the same amount all the way through? If so, you're in luck.
    I definitely want to maintain maximum video/audio quality for the official version.
    All you're doing is adding selectable subs, not reencoding the video. Its quality won't change.

Any movie names you want to give out?
    Quote Quote  
  3. The movie I'm working on now is Anaparastasi (Reconstruction): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

There are some others I'll receive later from here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I got the fansubs here: http://www.filestube.com/32dfce55ac39dd7803ea,g/Anaparastasi-2CD-English-Subs.html

The subs get progressively more off as the movie progresses, which is why I originally thought it was a PAL/NTSC problem, but then wouldn't the total runtimes be different? For two examples:

Sub timed for 10:04
    Dialogue occurs at 09:48 on DVD

Sub timed for 52:17
    Dialogue occurs at 49:15 on DVD

The former is off about 2.75% while the second is off about 6.15%
    Last edited by solrage; 11th Jan 2011 at 06:25.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can open the subs in Subtitle Workshop and change the timing to match the video. The easiest is Edit -> Timings -> Adjust -> Adjust Subtitles... then enter the time at which the first and lastsubtitles should appear. The rest will be adjuster proportionally. But beware, sometimes films are edited differently in different countries (or different releases) so simply adjusting the subs this way may not work right.
    Last edited by jagabo; 11th Jan 2011 at 07:16.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You'll need to use something like Subtitle Workshop in any case, to join the two sub files you have -- the second restarts at 0, so you need to work out the offset for the second half before doing so.

The timing functions aren't very intuitive, but just read its manual and you'll find everything you need.

If your DVD has any subs at all, you can extract them and use the timing for the English ones -- again see Subtitle Workshop's manual.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I've already joined the two subtitle files and I used Aegisub to shift the subs from the second part to start where the first leaves off; that's not the problem. The problem is that the subtitles are simply out of synch with the video and it gets worse as it goes along. Unfortunately, the DVD doesn't have ANY subtitles, probably because it was never meant to be released outside of Greece. I will check out Subtitle workshop to see if there's anything there that can help.
    Quote Quote  
  7. In the first post you said the total runtimes were within 2 seconds of each other (which lead me to my conclusion about the sub timings possibly being nearly identical). In the second post you show the timings of the 2 sets of subs as getting farther apart, with the second set being more than 3 minutes apart about halfway through a 100 minute movie. I find the 2 posts contradictory. Nor does it seem to be only a PAL/NTSC framerate problem as 3 minutes at 52 minutes in is too much. Unless these are 2 different edits of the movie, as well as being PAL/NTSC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by solrage View Post
    I've already joined the two subtitle files and I used Aegisub to shift the subs from the second part to start where the first leaves off; that's not the problem. The problem is that the subtitles are simply out of synch with the video and it gets worse as it goes along. Unfortunately, the DVD doesn't have ANY subtitles, probably because it was never meant to be released outside of Greece. I will check out Subtitle workshop to see if there's anything there that can help.

While Aegisub is great for complex formatting, Subtitle Workshop has excellent time adjustment features.

As long as the edits are basically the same (no scenes cut), it's pretty easy to resync between different releases of a film.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    In the first post you said the total runtimes were within 2 seconds of each other (which lead me to my conclusion about the sub timings possibly being nearly identical). In the second post you show the timings of the 2 sets of subs as getting farther apart, with the second set being more than 3 minutes apart about halfway through a 100 minute movie. I find the 2 posts contradictory.
    The confusion is that you're thinking there are two sets of subs; there isn't. Let me make this as clear as possible:

1. I bought the official DVD that doesn't come with any subtitles: its PAL, runtime is 97 minutes, and it's in 25fps
    2. I found some fan-submitted subtitles online for the film.
    3. These fansubs were synched to an uploaded version of the film (split into two parts)
    4. The uploaded version also runs 97 minutes but runs at 29.97fps (I don't know if it's from a PAL or NTSC source; I would assume PAL since the only releases I'm aware of were PAL releases)

Originally, I just downloaded the subtitles, but when I noticed that they didn't synch with the official version of the film, I downloaded the online version of the film and played them (official and online) side-by-side for comparison. It's clear that the uploaded version plays faster. If I start them at the same time, the uploaded version soon gets ahead of the official version. Now, I don't know how this is possible considering the two have the same total runtime (within 2 seconds, as I said).

Even if I consider that the two versions represent two different edits of the film, it would be an unbelievable coincidence that the uploaded version just happens to run at a framerate that allows it to end at the same time as the official version, even though it's a longer cut. I'm also not aware that the film was ever released in different runtimes. I've never seen the runtime listed as anything but 97 minutes.
    Quote Quote  
  10. IMDB lists it as being 100 minutes long. That's where I got the figure from:

http://former.imdb.com/title/tt0065396/

Your PAL version is properly shorter because of the 25fps framerate, and perhaps taking into account logos and such added for the DVD release. It's probably complete. The 29.97fps one is a fly in the ointment. First, movies aren't 29.97fps so already we know the guy that did it was incompetent. I'm assuming it's not a DVD, but probably an AVI because you said it's split into 2 parts. The similar runtime can be explained by it either being made from a PAL transfer or DVD, or it was made from a truncated version of the film. A sample with movement taken from that 29.97fps version would help to clarify. But you probably weren't interested in the AVI and didn't get it.

The confusion is that you're thinking there are two sets of subs
    Sorry, you were comparing the subtitle lines with the spoken dialog. My mistake. The point I was making is still good, though. If that AVI and its subs were made from the only version of the movie available on home video, the PAL DVD, the subs should closely match with your copy. Since they don't, and aren't even close the further into the movie you go, I think the subs were made from an edited version of the movie at film speed (not PAL 25fps speed) and you'll have to do much more than adjust the sub framerate to bring them into synch with your DVD audio. Maybe it was made from a television capture of the film running at film speed.

I'd attack it like this:

1. Save out an untouched copy of the subs in case something screws up.
    2. Convert the subs to a 25fps framerate from a 23.976fps framerate (not 29.97fps). That is, speed them up by a factor of 25/23.976=1.04271
    3. Synch up the subs to the first line of dialog.
    4. Study if the subs follow along in synch for awhile.
    5. If so, at some point they'll make a sudden jump out of synch, probably at an edit, and you'll miss a few lines, maybe.
    6. Resynch them again at that point and carry on till the end of the movie.

I have my own ways of doing such things (and I've done it plenty of times), but I don't know what subtitle programs you're comfortable with using. This will take some serious work, I think
    Quote Quote  
  11. As for the runtimes, I was referring to all of the DVD releases I've seen of it. I don't know of any 100 minute releases on DVD, though it's possible it was released on VHS. Thanks for the advice, because I've been getting nowhere just adjusting the subs using the beginning and ending dialogue start times. As for the two versions, when I ran them side-by-side, they look practically identical with the exception that the AVI version is compressed quite a bit. Neither version has any logos at the beginning or end; not even any credits. This isn't completely uncommon in older, low-rent, foreign art-house films because they were never intended to be distributed and even the official version looks like it's from a pretty obscure Greek company (I couldn't find any information online, but I don't read Greek either).

As for subtitle programs, this is completely new territory for me. I've never done anything like this but it was the only way possible to see these films with subtitles.

EDIT: I tried your suggestion and it's still no go. If I convert them from 23.97 to 25 then they're quite a bit ahead of the subs even early on. The first lines are fine, but the next lines (that occur about 5:24 into the film) happens at 5:09 on the subs. The line at 9:48 (the one I mentioned in my second post) the sub now hits at 9:38 on the subs... The 49:12 line hits at 50:08 on the sub, so by then the video is ahead of the subs. Do you think it might be worth a shot to buy this: http://cgi.ebay.com/THEO-ANGELOPOULOS-Complete-Collection-14DVDs-BoxSet-NEW-/260513708...item3ca7d3bad3

and try to use the times on the Chinese/Japanese subtitles to fix the times on these English subs?
    Last edited by solrage; 11th Jan 2011 at 20:46.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Curiouser and curiouser. They're OK at the beginning, 15 seconds off about 5 minutes in, and then 10 seconds off (!) just under 10 minutes in. And then it switches around later on so the subs trail the audio.

As for buying the DVD set, it seems to be similar (identical?) to this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Theo-Angelopoulos-Collection/dp/B000YFW05E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=...4802255&sr=1-1

If they're claiming it'll play on all US systems they've converted the video to NTSC (most US DVD players won't play PAL video) which may mean field-blending and a lousier picture than what you have. It may be an expensive proposition just to find out if your downloaded subs match the audio/video of this boxset. Maybe they will. Those subs had to have come from somewhere. Do you have a spare $44, and do you like this director that much?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Yes, that's the same set on Amazon. I hadn't thought about it being converted to NTSC, but would that leave the runtimes the same assuming they're from a PAL source? I've emailed three different sellers to ask about the set. I actually know of another place that has it for $28 here: http://www.buydvdhere.com/the-theo-angelopoulos-collection-dvd-boxset-p-2745.html. The reason I opted for the versions I did is because the picture quality on this set is (supposedly) quite poor. But it might be worth it just for the subs. $28 to make four DVDs work isn't all that much. As for me liking the director, I've seen three films from him and all three are in my Top 150 favorite films (out of an estimated 5000 films I've seen in total).
    Quote Quote  
  14. I agree that $28 plus shipping for 12 films isn't much. They'll have to be NTSC, and I don't believe for a second they're not bootlegs. The easiest way for them to do it would be to use the already existing PAL DVDs as a source. It costs money to prepare a proper NTSC master for a good NTSC DVD. Therefore, I also believe you'd be no better off as far as the subs go. But there's no real way to tell without the DVDs in your hands.

That BuyDVDHere link says they all have English subs. You might want to try and confirm that before buying because, if they're the same as the others only a few have English subs and not Anaparastasi.

Angelopoulos is that good, eh? Too bad none of his films are out in NTSC versions.
    Quote Quote  
  15. The BuyDVDHere link is clearly wrong on the all-English subtitles because it's the exact same set on eBay, which swears it's an official Asian release. I guess that, as of now, it's my only hope, since nobody seems to have any more advice for solving this bizarre problem.

As for Angelopoulos being good, he's great if you're into his very idiosyncratic aesthetic; long takes, long shots, not a lot of dialogue, not a lot of overt character development/drama/action/etc. where the focus is more on mood, tone, symbolism, etc. than anything else. I happen to love it as there are so few directors that can pull off that style successfully.

Some of his were released on NTSC releases: http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&search-alias=dvd&field-keywords=Theodoros%20Angelopoulos Unfortunately, they were all either by the (the thankfully) now defunct New Yorker Video or Fox Lorber. Both companies were embarrassments to world cinema that consistently brought out terrible releases of obscure/hard to find films and then charged exorbitant prices for the crappiness because they knew cinephiles would pay it. I'm guessing that the pervasive trend of filesharing put both out of business, leaving us in the more reliable hands of companies like Criterion and Eureka. The PAL versions available of Angelopoulos' films on eBay were personally overseen by the director himself, and the image quality is (supposedly) pristine and a vast improvement over the old NTSC releases.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure if you've actually tried my suggestions.

Anyway, at worst it will take you an hour or so to resync the subs in Subtitle Workshop, using the multi-point method (which is equivalent to approximating a curve using a series of short line segments; eventually it gets close enough to be indistinguishable):
    Originally Posted by Subtitle Workshop Manual
    2.2.4 Method 4: advanced subtitle adjust
    Use this if the traditional two points adjust fails. This unique feature makes possible to adjust subtitles in the worst cases, when desynchronization is not constant, or is different in different parts of the subtitle. This system lets you select multiple subtitle/video points so that you can synchronize the subtitle by "parts". The maximum number of points you can select is the number of subtitles there are.
    For the best performance to be achieved you first have to load the subtitle file and then load the corresponding video. In the video preview controls, you will notice that last button is "Add subtitle/video synchronization point". You will need this button later. This are the steps yous should follow now:
    • First of all, select the subtitle you want to mark as point. The point will always be the selected subtitle's initial time. This subtitle can be any subtitle in the file.
    • Play the video until you find the right time for that subtitle, when you do, click the "Add subtitle/video synchronization point" button or press the [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[P] keys. The Adjust subtitles window will show, and advanced mode will be set by default. This window is "non-modal", that means, you can still use the main Subtitle Workshop interface while it is opened.
    • You need to repeat the two steps above for each point you want to add. You can additionally use the "Add" button to enter a time manually, or the "Add from media" button to add points directly from the Adjust subtitles window (works the same way as the button in the video preview control).
    So you start with first and last subs, then add a few in the middle.
    Save that and check the in between subs.
    One important option is whether to extrapolate outside the marked points: you DO if you're making a first approximation for the whole thing, you DON'T if you're just adjusting within a segment.

If you get the subs every 5 minutes, say, in sync then the rest should be very close.
    You can do fine adjustment of individual lines using the "Set start time" and "Set final time" buttons to sync to the current frame displayed. Or you might switch over to Aegisub for that, which shows an audio graph to help you do that
    Last edited by AlanHK; 12th Jan 2011 at 02:57.
    Quote Quote  
  17. ^ I did try your initial suggestions with no luck. This looks more promising, though. I will try it tomorrow when I have more time. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  18. @AlanHK: I just started trying to do this, but aren't you supposed to be able to see the video with the preview? All I get is a black screen on Subtitle Workshop. The video is just an MPEG.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @AlanHK: I just started trying to do this, but aren't you supposed to be able to see the video with the preview? All I get is a black screen on Subtitle Workshop. The video is just an MPEG.
    It doesn't open the video automatically.
    Did you use Movie/Open?

If that fails, you might make a quick and dirty conversion to a small AVI file.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Sorry to bump this thread after so long, but I've run into another problem. Alan, I did use your Subtitle Workshop/multi-point method to synch the subs to the video and it seemed to work quite well even though it took a while. But I encountered another problem when I tried to create a DVD file using AVStoDVD. Basically, when I created the DVD file and played it back, the subtitles are now running way fast... the one I mentioned at 9:47 now happens at like 9:33, which makes no sense because I checked the srt file and the sub is timed correctly. How could AVStoDVD be altering the subtitle timing?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It sounds like you have a sub using frames, rather than absolute time (seconds), synced to 23.976 fps, but the video has pulldown to convert it to 29.97.
    But an SRT sub is in seconds so they should be in sync regardless.

However, I'd hope any DVD authoring app should compensate for that automatically.

I don't use AVStoDVD so I don't know what's going on.

Otherwise, if you can use SUP files in AVStoDVD, you can use Subtitle Creator to make SUPs from the SRT and use that.
    Last edited by AlanHK; 31st Jan 2011 at 03:17.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by solrage View Post
    Sorry to bump this thread after so long, but I've run into another problem. Alan, I did use your Subtitle Workshop/multi-point method to synch the subs to the video and it seemed to work quite well even though it took a while. But I encountered another problem when I tried to create a DVD file using AVStoDVD. Basically, when I created the DVD file and played it back, the subtitles are now running way fast... the one I mentioned at 9:47 now happens at like 9:33, which makes no sense because I checked the srt file and the sub is timed correctly. How could AVStoDVD be altering the subtitle timing?
    Do you still have the AVStoDVD project log file? If yes, could you please post it?

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by _MrC_ View Post
    Do you still have the AVStoDVD project log file? If yes, could you please post it?
    Here it is:

<1/31/2011 9:29:41 AM>
    START PROCESS
    <>

PROJECT SETTINGS

DVD Video Standard: PAL
    DVD Titles number: 1
    DVD Size: 4416/4450 MB (99%)
    DVD Output Setup: DVD Folder
    DVD Label: DVD
    DVD Menu: No Menu
    Output Folder: C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop
    Delete Temp Process Files: Yes
    Delete Working Files: Yes
    Edit Command Parameters: No
    Post Process Task: Show Progress Status window

PREFERENCES

MultiThread: 1
    AVS Source Filter: A2DSource
    AVS UpSize/DownSize Filter: Lanczos4Resize/Spline64Resize
    Video Resolution: 0
    Video BitRate Min: 2500
    Video BitRate Level 1: 6500
    Video Profile Level 2: 4500
    Video BitRate Max: 8500
    Keep DVD Compliant Video: 1
    AC3 Audio Encoder: 0
    PAL SpeedUp: 0
    Force FFmpeg for Long Audio: 1
    DVD Audio Format: 0
    DVD Audio BitRate: 192
    Keep DVD Compliant Audio: 1
    Normalize Audio: 0
    DVD Audio Language: EN - English
    DVD Subs Language: EN - English
    DVD Subs Font: Tahoma 18pt Bold
    Chapters Interval: 5
    Use Source Chapters: 1
    DVD Burning Drive: E: hp BD-RE BH20L B57A
    DVD Burning Speed: 4x
    Auto Erase DVD RW: 1
    Save Log file: 1
    Save General Settings: 0
    Unload ActiveMovie library: 0
    Adjust ffdshow mixer: 1
    <>

TITLE 1 SOURCE FILES
    Video: C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\Anaparastasi (Reconstruction) a.mpg
    Info: MPEG-2 Video - 5941 kbps - 720x576 - DAR 1.333 - 25 fps (CFR) - Interlaced (TFF) - 1:37:15 hours - 145891 frames
    Audio 1: C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\Anaparastasi (Reconstruction) a.mpg
    Info: AC3 - 256 kbps - CBR - 2ch - 48000Hz - 16bit - 1:37:15 hours - Internal
    Subs: C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\Anaparastasi (Reconstruction) a.srt
    [MediaInfoLib - v0.7.36]
    <>

AVISYNTH SCRIPT
    Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AVStoDVD\Lib\A2DSource.avsi")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AVStoDVD\Lib\LeakKernelDeint.dll")

# Video is frameserved by AviSynth just for Preview and Edit purposes.
    Video = A2DVideoSource("C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\Anapa rastasi (Reconstruction) a.mpg", CacheFolder="C:\Users\JONATH~1\AppData\Local\Temp" , FrameRate=25, VFR=false)
    # Audio is frameserved by AviSynth just for Preview and Edit purposes.
    Audio = A2DAudioSource("C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\Anapa rastasi (Reconstruction) a.mpg", CacheFolder="C:\Users\JONATH~1\AppData\Local\Temp" )

Video = Video.ConvertToYV12(interlaced=true)

AudioDub(Video, Audio)
    <>

START VIDEO DEMUXING OPERATIONS
    Target Video FileSize: 4133.2 MB
    FFmpeg Parameters: -i "C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\Anaparastasi (Reconstruction) a.mpg" -vcodec copy "C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\DVD_0_Anaparasta si (Reconstruction) a.m2v"
    <>

<1/31/2011 9:32:12 AM>
    END VIDEO ENCODING OPERATIONS
    Created File: C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\DVD_0_Anaparastasi (Reconstruction) a.m2v (3943.8 MB)
    OUTPUT VIDEO INFO: MPEG-2 Video - 5709 kbps - 720x576 - DAR 1.333 - 25 fps (CFR) - Interlaced (TFF) - 1:37:15 hours - 145891 frames
    <>

<1/31/2011 9:32:18 AM>
    START AUDIO DEMUXING OPERATIONS (Track 1)
    FFmpeg Parameters: -i "C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\Anaparastasi (Reconstruction) a.mpg" -acodec copy "C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\DVD_0_Anaparasta si (Reconstruction) a_1.ToFix.ac3"
    <>

<1/31/2011 9:33:35 AM>
    END AUDIO ENCODING OPERATIONS (Track 1)
    Created File: C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\DVD_0_Anaparastasi (Reconstruction) a_1.ac3 (178.1 MB)
    OUTPUT AUDIO INFO: AC3 - 256 kbps - CBR - 2ch - 48000Hz - 16bit - 1:37:15 hours
    <>

<1/31/2011 9:33:35 AM>
    START SUBS ENCODING OPERATIONS
    SubtitleCreator Parameters: "C:\Users\JONATH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\DVD_0_Anapar astasi (Reconstruction) a.srt" -p1 -i"C:\Program Files (x86)\AVStoDVD\SubtitleCreator\Examples\VTS_01_1.I FO"
    <>

<1/31/2011 9:33:42 AM>
    END SUBS ENCODING OPERATIONS
    Created File: C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\DVD_0_Anaparastasi (Reconstruction) a.sup (0.5 MB)
    <>

<1/31/2011 9:33:42 AM>
    START DVD AUTHORING OPERATIONS
    BatchMux Parameters: -arglist "C:\Users\JONATH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\DVD_0_BatchM ux.ini"
    BatchMux ini file:
    -d "C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\DVD_0\VIDEO_TS"
    -mxp "C:\Users\JONATH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\DVD_0_MuxMan .mxp"
    -l "C:\Users\JONATH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\DVD_0_MuxMan .log"
    -muxman "C:\Program Files (x86)\AVStoDVD\MuxMan"
    -prio LOW
    -v "C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\DVD_0_Anaparasta si (Reconstruction) a.m2v"
    -vidmode 4:3
    -a1 "C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\DVD_0_Anaparasta si (Reconstruction) a_1.ac3"
    -a1lang en
    -s1 "C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\DVD_0_Anaparasta si (Reconstruction) a.sup"
    -s1lang en
    -s1ext 1
    -cellfr "C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\DVD_0_Anaparasta si (Reconstruction) a_Chapters.txt"
    -progfr "C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\DVD_0_Anaparasta si (Reconstruction) a_Chapters.txt"
    -chapfr "C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\DVD_0_Anaparasta si (Reconstruction) a_Chapters.txt"

<>

<1/31/2011 9:38:17 AM>
    CHECK DVD SIZE
    DVD Folder (actual) Size: 4198.9 MB
    vs Estimated Size: 4416 MB -> 4.9% undersize
    vs Assets Size: 4122.4 MB -> OK
    <>

<1/31/2011 9:38:17 AM>
    END DVD AUTHORING OPERATIONS
    Created Folder: C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\DVD_0 (4198.9 MB)
    <>

<1/31/2011 9:38:18 AM>
    Log file created by AVStoDVD Release 2.3.3
    <>
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post

Otherwise, if you can use SUP files in AVStoDVD, you can use Subtitle Creator to make SUPs from the SRT and use that.
    I would think the srt should be in sync regardless too. What's the difference between SUP and SRT?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post

I would think the srt should be in sync regardless too. What's the difference between SUP and SRT?

SUP is the bitmap version of the subtitle that gets muxed into the MPEG file.
    Actually I see that SubtitleCreator is part of AVStoDVD so that's what it's making, evidently incorrectly.
    The SubtitleCreator command line has "-p1", which means it uses "profile 1", maybe that's set to NTSC instead of PAL?

But I don't have any experience with AVStoDVD so I'm just guessing.

If you don't mind trying another authoring app, try GfD.

You should be able to take your mpeg file (or the m2v and AC3) and SRT and make a DVD very easily from them.
    Last edited by AlanHK; 31st Jan 2011 at 11:13.
    Quote Quote  
  26. ^ I saved it as a SUP and used AVStoDVD but still got the same result. I'll try Gfd, but what are the necessary settings to make sure there's no degradation in the video/audio quality and how do I load the subtitle?

Here's the log file for when I tried to use the SUP file:

<1/31/2011 11:22:43 AM>
    START PROCESS
    <>

PROJECT SETTINGS

DVD Video Standard: PAL
    DVD Titles number: 1
    DVD Size: 4416/4450 MB (99%)
    DVD Output Setup: DVD Folder
    DVD Label: DVD
    DVD Menu: No Menu
    Output Folder: C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop
    Delete Temp Process Files: Yes
    Delete Working Files: Yes
    Edit Command Parameters: No
    Post Process Task: Show Progress Status window

PREFERENCES

MultiThread: 1
    AVS Source Filter: A2DSource
    AVS UpSize/DownSize Filter: Lanczos4Resize/Spline64Resize
    Video Resolution: 0
    Video BitRate Min: 2500
    Video BitRate Level 1: 6500
    Video Profile Level 2: 4500
    Video BitRate Max: 8500
    Keep DVD Compliant Video: 1
    AC3 Audio Encoder: 0
    PAL SpeedUp: 0
    Force FFmpeg for Long Audio: 1
    DVD Audio Format: 0
    DVD Audio BitRate: 192
    Keep DVD Compliant Audio: 1
    Normalize Audio: 0
    DVD Audio Language: EN - English
    DVD Subs Language: EN - English
    DVD Subs Font: Tahoma 18pt Bold
    Chapters Interval: 5
    Use Source Chapters: 1
    DVD Burning Drive: E:\
    DVD Burning Speed: 4x
    Auto Erase DVD RW: 1
    Save Log file: 1
    Save General Settings: 0
    Unload ActiveMovie library: 0
    Adjust ffdshow mixer: 1
    <>

TITLE 1 SOURCE FILES
    Video: C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\Anaparastasi (Reconstruction) sup.mpg
    Info: MPEG-2 Video - 5941 kbps - 720x576 - DAR 1.333 - 25 fps (CFR) - Interlaced (TFF) - 1:37:15 hours - 145891 frames
    Audio 1: C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\Anaparastasi (Reconstruction) sup.mpg
    Info: AC3 - 256 kbps - CBR - 2ch - 48000Hz - 16bit - 1:37:15 hours - Internal
    Subs: C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\Anaparastasi (Reconstruction) sup.sup
    [MediaInfoLib - v0.7.36]
    <>

AVISYNTH SCRIPT
    Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AVStoDVD\Lib\A2DSource.avsi")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AVStoDVD\Lib\LeakKernelDeint.dll")

# Video is frameserved by AviSynth just for Preview and Edit purposes.
    Video = A2DVideoSource("C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\Anapa rastasi (Reconstruction) sup.mpg", CacheFolder="C:\Users\JONATH~1\AppData\Local\Temp" , FrameRate=25, VFR=false)
    # Audio is frameserved by AviSynth just for Preview and Edit purposes.
    Audio = A2DAudioSource("C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\Anapa rastasi (Reconstruction) sup.mpg", CacheFolder="C:\Users\JONATH~1\AppData\Local\Temp" )

Video = Video.ConvertToYV12(interlaced=true)

AudioDub(Video, Audio)
    <>

START VIDEO DEMUXING OPERATIONS
    Target Video FileSize: 4133.2 MB
    FFmpeg Parameters: -i "C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\Anaparastasi (Reconstruction) sup.mpg" -vcodec copy "C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\DVD_0_Anaparasta si (Reconstruction) sup.m2v"
    <>

<1/31/2011 11:25:45 AM>
    END VIDEO ENCODING OPERATIONS
    Created File: C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\DVD_0_Anaparastasi (Reconstruction) sup.m2v (3943.8 MB)
    OUTPUT VIDEO INFO: MPEG-2 Video - 5709 kbps - 720x576 - DAR 1.333 - 25 fps (CFR) - Interlaced (TFF) - 1:37:15 hours - 145891 frames
    <>

<1/31/2011 11:25:50 AM>
    START AUDIO DEMUXING OPERATIONS (Track 1)
    FFmpeg Parameters: -i "C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\Anaparastasi (Reconstruction) sup.mpg" -acodec copy "C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\DVD_0_Anaparasta si (Reconstruction) sup_1.ToFix.ac3"
    <>

<1/31/2011 11:27:29 AM>
    END AUDIO ENCODING OPERATIONS (Track 1)
    Created File: C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\DVD_0_Anaparastasi (Reconstruction) sup_1.ac3 (178.1 MB)
    OUTPUT AUDIO INFO: AC3 - 256 kbps - CBR - 2ch - 48000Hz - 16bit - 1:37:15 hours
    <>

<1/31/2011 11:27:30 AM>
    END SUBS ENCODING OPERATIONS
    Created File: C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\DVD_0_Anaparastasi (Reconstruction) sup.sup (0.5 MB)
    <>

<1/31/2011 11:27:30 AM>
    START DVD AUTHORING OPERATIONS
    BatchMux Parameters: -arglist "C:\Users\JONATH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\DVD_0_BatchM ux.ini"
    BatchMux ini file:
    -d "C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\DVD_0\VIDEO_TS"
    -mxp "C:\Users\JONATH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\DVD_0_MuxMan .mxp"
    -l "C:\Users\JONATH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\DVD_0_MuxMan .log"
    -muxman "C:\Program Files (x86)\AVStoDVD\MuxMan"
    -prio LOW
    -v "C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\DVD_0_Anaparasta si (Reconstruction) sup.m2v"
    -vidmode 4:3
    -a1 "C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\DVD_0_Anaparasta si (Reconstruction) sup_1.ac3"
    -a1lang en
    -s1 "C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\DVD_0_Anaparasta si (Reconstruction) sup.sup"
    -s1lang en
    -s1ext 1
    -cellfr "C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\DVD_0_Anaparasta si (Reconstruction) sup_Chapters.txt"
    -progfr "C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\DVD_0_Anaparasta si (Reconstruction) sup_Chapters.txt"
    -chapfr "C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\DVD_0_Anaparasta si (Reconstruction) sup_Chapters.txt"

<>

<1/31/2011 11:30:26 AM>
    CHECK DVD SIZE
    DVD Folder (actual) Size: 4198.9 MB
    vs Estimated Size: 4416 MB -> 4.9% undersize
    vs Assets Size: 4122.4 MB -> OK
    <>

END DVD AUTHORING OPERATIONS
    Created Folder: C:\Users\Jonathathan\Desktop\DVD_0 (4198.9 MB)
    <>

Log file created by AVStoDVD Release 2.3.3
    <>
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^ I saved it as a SUP and used AVStoDVD but still got the same result. I'll try Gfd, but what are the necessary settings to make sure there's no degradation in the video/audio quality and how do I load the subtitle?
    As for GfD, it doesn't degrade the video or audio at all. Will be identical to the original.

See its "Help" manual, very simple.
    Put the source files: mpeg, or m2v + AC3, and the SRT in one folder, when you drag the video from the source list to the main screen you get options for adding audio (usually it finds that by default) and subtitle. You can use SRT or SUP.
    Quote Quote  
  28. ^ I made a DVD file with GfD and I can't get any of the VIDEO_TS files to play on VLC. I got one DVD file to play on MPC, but I couldn't get any subtitles to come up. I did get VTS_01_1 to play, but on it the video is way behind the subtitles. The 9:48 subtitles comes up at 9:48, but the video with the dialogue doesn't happen until 10:06.

What's odd is that 10:06 is the time on the original fansubs, so it seems like they were synced to a version that went through some kind of similar process?
    Quote Quote  
  29. @solrage

my friend, your source MPG file is PAL DVD-compliant (25 fps) and you have choosen to produce a PAL DVD (25 fps). No framerate conversion. More: no video conversion, just demux-remux. Strictly speaking, we are OT.

Are you really sure that the SRT is ok?

@AlanHK

-p1 command informs SubtitleCreator to use the first profile found in ..\SubtitleCreator\Data\Profiles.xml.
    For AVStoDVD, -p1 means "PAL Full-D1 4:3"

Bye
    Last edited by _MrC_; 31st Jan 2011 at 14:08. Reason: More details
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by _MrC_ View Post
    @solrage

my friend, your source MPG file is PAL DVD-compliant (25 fps) and you have choosen to produce a PAL DVD (25 fps). No framerate conversion. More: no video conversion, just demux-remux. Strictly speaking, we are OT.
    OT? We are overtime?

Originally Posted by _MrC_ View Post
    Are you really sure that the SRT is ok?
    Well, I can play the SRT file along with the MPG and it's synced up, but when I author it the timing is off, so I can't imagine what could be wrong with the SRT file... Any ideas?
    Quote Quote