VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My vcr is getting old it seems (11 years old and i'm the second owner...) . If i unintentionally touch the cable (even a slight move) i get a black & white picture or distortions of some sort it need a repair and i'd love to do it myself. Anyone done this before on his own ? Pictures and diagrams are welcome

*** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just a kluge but you can try bending the S-Video connector pins (outer four) slightly toward the pin hole copper.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Your other choice is to remove the old connector and solder a new one in its place. Good luck finding an exact replacement though. Maybe you can scavenge one from the VCR itself? The s-video in connector maybe? I doubt you use it anymore to record.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Plug the cable in real tight and slap a lot of duct tape around it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Your other choice is to remove the old connector and solder a new one in its place. Good luck finding an exact replacement though. Maybe you can scavenge one from the VCR itself? The s-video in connector maybe? I doubt you use it anymore to record.
    That was my intention: solder it better than it is currently.Now the question would be how to do it properly. The plug is clearly not broken but loose.I have always taken care of the vcr so this problem has puzzled me regarding its origin.
    Good news is i have a scart (which allow s-video) if needed (optional via the onscreen menu)
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  6. If the socket is loose at the solder joints you can probably just flow some more solder over them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Your other choice is to remove the old connector and solder a new one in its place. Good luck finding an exact replacement though. Maybe you can scavenge one from the VCR itself? The s-video in connector maybe? I doubt you use it anymore to record.
    That was my intention: solder it better than it is currently.Now the question would be how to do it properly. The plug is clearly not broken but loose.I have always taken care of the vcr so this problem has puzzled me regarding its origin.
    Good news is i have a scart (which allow s-video) if needed (optional via the onscreen menu)
    The first good use for SCART ... just kidding.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. Is it easy to remove the mainboard of the vcr ? I had a quick look at the inside today it seems if i want to repair it (soldering) i will have to go that way and i have to do that without failure.The tricky part may concern the remounting. Help appreciated. I'll upload pictures of the inside later on.
    Last edited by themaster1; 26th Jan 2011 at 23:34.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Anybody ? A how-to guide is welcomed, schematics aswell
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Anybody ? A how-to guide is welcomed, schematics aswell
    Without the model number not much to go on. With the model number, I'd give Google a try...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Get a short extension cable and leave one end in the unit at all times.
    Use the other end for plug/unplug of cables.

Not ideal, but an easy fix, and won't cause issues if the run is short.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
    Anybody ? A how-to guide is welcomed, schematics aswell
    Without the model number not much to go on. With the model number, I'd give Google a try...
    Sorry i'm late (been busy) the model n° is HR-S8600MS from JVC obviously (it's pal/secam)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    So why not use the SCART option then?
    It will save you the trouble and risk of damaging the machine.
    You can get SCART to S-Video leads or make them yourself easily.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Yes but the scart is also loose somewhat, still better than the s-video but not safe either.Like i said the vcr is getting old...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use a rubber band to pull the cord to the good side and attach it to something
    Quote Quote  
  16. Its common for JVC connectors to break away from the circuit board. Install a cord into the connector and wiggle up and down while observing the soldered connections on the circuit board. You can often sneak a soldering tip in there to resolder without removing the board.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm not sure what you mean by "installing a cord", seems to be an odd fix, by the way i have managed to take pics of the beast today.I'm looking forward to an answer regarding how to remove the mainboard (without breaking something...).
    http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/2653/ssa42316.jpg
    http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/5196/ssa42318.jpg (the s-video plug is located behind the blue component)
    http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/9202/ssa42319.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  18. Install a s-video cable in the defective plug so that you can wiggle the connection while watching the internal solder joints. I don't recommend removing the main board unless absolutely necessary.
    Quote Quote