VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just setup a new system with Windows 7. Which of the various codec packs is my best bet, with as few as possible bugs and conflicts and junk-proof for my new system?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FFDshow, Haali Splitter, The KM Player
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I like media player home cinema player.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    All of the above? How about K-lite Ace and others?

Also it seems that FFDshow has many options and filters. Wont that fill uneeded data?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FFDshow is a clean, self-contained set of codecs, unlike the sprawling mess that is k-lite and the rest. If you use a good player, such as The KM Player or Media Player Home Cinema then you don't need to install a lot of codecs anyway. If you are installing codecs for encoding, just install the codecs you need, as you need them.

Personally, I would never install a codec pack like k-lite
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ffdshow
    haali media splitter
    PotPlayer (Daum)

Pot player is made by the same guy who created KMplayer...he evidentally sold the km player thing and now its adware...Pot Player is basically KMplayer but w/o all the hassle and some new and improved features
    Quote Quote  
  7. Up until now i've hated all codec packs Klite, community codec pack then i found win7 codecs (http://shark007.net/) which i use now on my 64bit win7 which has ffdshow all the splitters and integrates itself in windows media player and media center and if you encounter any problems there's a reset all button to restore all native codecs as they were just in case
    Quote Quote  
  8. I was also going to mention the shark page as i learned about it recently. Does anybody else have an opinion about it?

ATM i'm using kmplayer and mediplayer classic, since they have been my favorite players for a while but is the decoding process as reliable as installing codecs or codec packs?

Did not honestly know though of the potplayer. Will have to look into it and see what it has to offer.
    Quote Quote  
  9. well most codec packs leave bit of registry left on your comp and leaves some splitters registered when u uninstall and also if you have a certain codec already on your comp they'll add there's so it'll clash But with Shark COdecs it doesn't come with mediaplr HC and other crap you don't need All it does is install the required codecs to play most formats and disables all the one's that windows was natively using that's gonna clash with it and if you find a problem with it you can reset all codecss changes back to the way it was
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by therock003 View Post
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    All of the above? How about K-lite Ace and others?

Also it seems that FFDshow has many options and filters. Wont that fill uneeded data?
    Just about every codec pack (K-Lite, CCCP, Shark) includes ffdshow as a primary component.
    So it's pretty unavoidable.

Don't know what you mean by "unneeded data" anyway. It's not large; no codec is.
    Quote Quote