VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a bunch of old DVD's / CD's (broken disks, CD's that you get when you buy hardware, etc). How are you supposed to throw these away? Just in the trash can?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If they have data on them that you want to destroy: microwave oven.

The bulk of the material is polycarbonate - would likely last forever in a landfill, not certain if you can recycle.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Many Shredders take Cd and Dvd. Shred those with your personel information then dump all of them.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is one of those times when we can look back at Back To The Future II and remember when we laughed at the bales of CDs from a scene of the future. It isn't funny when we realise that right now we can't recycle them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, throw them away in the trash. If they contain information you don't wish others to potentially be able to see then destroy them via the microwave or cut them up with scissors prior to throwing them out.
    Quote Quote  
  6. In Victoria Canada they take my dvd coasters in the plastic recycling
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  7. They are unrecycleable? ;(I'll ask my government what their plan is about these discs.
    Quote Quote  
  8. How does that microwave idea work?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by handyguy View Post
    How does that microwave idea work?
    You put a disc in the microwave and nuke it for a few seconds. Watch the fireworks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5i8jgk1H6I

Nobody's getting anything off a disc after that. Don't do it unless you have to -- it smells really bad.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I shred all of mine that are being thrown away. For the same reason I do credit card bills and anything with my name & address on it. It makes them nice and compact and they'll fit all the nooks and cranny's in the garbage bag as well as defeating dumpster divers.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
  11. When things spark like that in a microwave it usually means harm to the microwave oven itself.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote