VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Looking for straight up, good as it can get samples of 1080p HD video. All those I've found so far are converted into .wmv or .flv format. Looks decent but there are still obvious pixelation artifacts on those that I've seen.

Just got an HD monitor and curious how good it's possible for video to look. What is "pure", unconverted HD video called? Is it an .avi file or is it called something else?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For samples of 1080p HD video you can always grab some movie trailers at, say, Apple movie trailers. The trailers are usually in the .mov or .mp4 containers and are encoded with the H264/AVC codec. I think most HD content in .wmv format are using the VC1 codec.

For "pure" unconverted HD video, there isn't really one term for it, not as far as I know. The "high definition" moniker is a little broad. Blu-Ray could be technically considered a "pure" HD source, however, content put on Blu-Ray is all converted from much higher resolution video and mastered/converted into 1080p. You might want to check out some of the articles here on the site on the top left of the screen. Might help sort out some of your questions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bmo View Post
    content put on Blu-Ray is all converted from much higher resolution video and mastered/converted into 1080p.
    Thanks for the response. What I guess I'm wondering is if any of this "as the camera shot it" source video is available.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The camera manufacturer sites have some sample files but hard to find.

You can order sample discs from pro cam manufactuers like Panasonic AVC-Intra or Sony XDCAM.

Or find someone with an ATSC HD tuner.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Search for reviews of particular camera models. They often contain short clips directly from the camera.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Vimeo.com has a lot of 1080p streams. IDK if you can download or capture them though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
    Vimeo.com has a lot of 1080p streams. IDK if you can download or capture them though.
    But those are compressed, not camera original format.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You may use a a standard DVD and try to search for the the pixelation effect. I dought you'll find it on small CRT/HD displays.
    Quote Quote