VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Ok this doesn't really fit in a specific forum so I am putting it here in the general forum.

-------------------------------------------------

Do they make a settop timed remote channel changer for the comcast digital transport adapter (dta) boxes that they have for sd cable?

--------------------------------------------------

I have one that i use for sd recording but I can only record one channel overnight and when I am not at home since it is a "dumb" terminal and can't be set to a timer or channel changing like a full cable box or dvr.

I have rediscovered the convenience of my dvd recorder. I do have a hd dvr and a hauppauge hdpvr but it is still inconvenient sometimes to do full on realtime dubs to archive my shows. Also doing long marathons is a bit impratical in hd when segment splitting is involved. The dvd recorder is a nice solution for shows that I am not interested in preserving in top quality - sd is fine for many instances.

------------------------------------------------------

Yes I know about google and all that but before I waste hours on fruitless searches (and getting sidetracked on youtube ) I thought I would ask the experts. Surely something must exist since they took away analog cables greatest convenience in the archiving enthusiasts world.

Thanks for suggestions.

FYI I'm not looking for anything much over 50.00 usd that would probably be my upper limit for such a unit. However I might be flexible if this would really work in returning event timed recordings back to my analog world.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, I'm afraid I have not heard of any stand-alone devices, only computer-based solutions or DVD recorders equipped with IR blasters.

Supposedly there is a way to set up Windows Media center to change channels using an IR reciever with an IR Blaster http://digitalmediaphile.com/index.php/2009/04/17/setup-a-comcast-dta-with-mce/, although I haven't tried it. Maybe Event Ghost, Girder or Hip can be set up do the same thing with a compatible blaster.

I got a Pinnacle remote kit for Christmas, which has IR blaster capability, and cost about $30 + shipping. You may be able to find something considerably cheaper on eBay that will work too. I'm not sure what kinds of IR Blaster control devices are compatible with Event Ghost, Girder or Hip. other than the USBUIRT.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet
    Supposedly there is a way to set up Windows Media center to change channels using an IR reciever with an IR Blaster http://digitalmediaphile.com/index.p...-dta-with-mce/, although I haven't tried it. Maybe Event Ghost, Girder or Hip can be set up do the same thing with a compatible blaster.
    Thanks I actually bumped into a similar article in a brief search this evening.

I have a few usb ir receivers. However the only ir blaster i have is the one that came with my hauppauge hd pvr. I'm pretty sure that would work. However I don't want to move my hd pvr to the room with my sd cable dta box. Also it is a plug in jack for the ir blaster on the hd pvr. That wouldn't work without connecting my hd pvr to the other computer. I don't think that computer is strong enough to even install the hd pvr software (single core pc).

I'll have to think about this. But I could do it to record TO my computer in that room and bypass the dvd recorder all together. I have an old dvico fusion capture card up there.

But I would have to buy a usb ir blaster to make this practical at all since I don't want to have to move my hdpvr all the time for analog recording sessions.

Thanks again.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote